Garlic has always been known for its numerous medical benefits for ages. Eating a clove of garlic every day is considered to be a healthy habit. But does it help to use garlic for acne?
Well, a lot of people do recommend that. We recommend that you should not just start using anything for your acne issues just because someone is saying so! It is always better to know about a thing before you start using it.
In the following article, we are going to take a look at whether using garlic for acne is a good option as people say it is botanically speaking, garlic and onion belong to the same family of species.
The garlic plant is native to Central Asia and Iran. Garlic is rich in natural nutrients, and it is also known for its antibacterial and antifungal properties.
Interesting Facts About Garlic
- Garlic is the only known food that has all the essential nutrients.
- Ancient Egyptians knew about garlic and used it for culinary and medical purposes.
- The Romans considered garlic to be poor.
- In ancient European folklore, garlic was often used for white magic.
- Koreans believed that eating 20 cloves of garlic and a bundle of mugwort for 100 days, can turn a bear into a woman!
Why Use Garlic for Acne?
As said before, garlic has been used medicinally since ages, all across the world. Garlic benefits for acne are also well known.
Recent scientific research has also proved that using garlic(1) for acne can be quite beneficial. Let us take a look at some of the studies that have demonstrated the efficacy of using garlic for treating acne.
Studies have shown that garlic has significant anti-bacterial properties. Therefore, garlic can be used for fighting against P.acnes, a strain of bacteria which is mainly responsible for causing acne.
Garlic also contains thiosulfinates, which lends it anti-microbial properties. Regular use of garlic helps in removing particles that can clog the pores in your skin and cause acne.
Garlic is rich in several nutrients like Vitamin B6, selenium, Vitamin C, Copper, and Zinc. All these nutrients help to fight against acne.
Zinc is known to control the level of sebum (oil) production in your body. Excessive oil is another major cause of acne as it can easily block skin pores.
Research also indicates that garlic also has anti-inflammatory properties. This helps to fight against acne scars and also to ease the irritation and redness that is often associated with acne.
Garlic also contains S-allyl cysteine (SAC) and S-allylmercaptocysteine (SAMC)(2), which, according to a research study, makes garlic a potent antioxidant. Being an antioxidant, garlic helps to remove the free radicals which might contribute towards the outbreak of acne.
[Also Read: Natural Remedies for Acne]
Therefore, as you can see, garlic benefits for acne are quite established. This does make using garlic for acne a smart option.
Methods to Use Garlic for Acne
According to one study, when you are using garlic for acne treatment, you can use it in the following ways:
- Heated garlic juice
- Raw garlic juice
- Aged garlic extract
- Dehydrated garlic powder
- Let us take a look at some of the specific ways in which you can use garlic for acne treatment.
[Also Read: Baking Soda for Acne]
Using Garlic in Cooking
- Chop 2-3 garlic cloves and crush them
- You can add it for an extra punch of flavor in your cooking for any dish
- Usually, 2-3 cloves of garlic every day are enough. However, if you use more than that, then it might cause specific side effects such as digestive disorders.
Using Garlic and Yogurt Mixture
A mixture of garlic and yogurt is also found to be highly effective in treating acne. You can apply it directly to the affected areas. To prepare such a mixture, follow the given steps:
Make a puree of 4 cloves of garlic and mix it with 1 tablespoon of yogurt
- Apply the mixture to a clean and dry skin
- Massage into the affected areas
- Keep it on for 5 minutes
- Rinse with cold water
This is one of the most effective ways to use garlic for acne and one of the simplest as well.
Using Raw Garlic Juice
The garlic benefits for acne can also be realized if you use it raw. To use raw garlic juice, you need to follow the given steps:
- To use raw garlic for acne, mash 5 grated garlic cloves
- Let it sit for 10 minutes
- You would need to use a thin cloth to squeeze the juice from the cloves
- Apply the juice on the affected areas
- Keep it on for about 10 minutes
- Rinse with cold water
[Also Read: Lemon Juice for Acne]
These were some of the ways in which you can use garlic for acne. Let us take a look at some of the frequently asked questions about garlic.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What Are the Side Effects of Garlic?
It is generally considered to be safe to use garlic for acne. However, one study has shown that garlic can have the following side effects in the following cases:
Clusters of skin lesions, called zosteriform dermatitis
- Contact urticaria (Redness of skin)
- Certain other allergic reactions
2. Does Garlic Paste Help Acne?
Commercially available garlic paste is usually not for dermatological purposes. They are processed in a way that they lose some of the most beneficial nutrients which are essential for treating acne. So, if you are looking to get all the garlic benefits for acne, it is better to use raw garlic.
3. Should I Consult My Physician?
Before you use garlic for acne, it would be wise to consult your doctor to know about the possible risks that you might have when you use garlic for acne
Garlic has a lot of benefits, which makes it the right choice for fighting against acne. The garlic benefits for acne are well known in folk medicine and proven through modern scientific research.
However, before you use garlic for acne, you should consult your physician as garlic can cause some severe side effects in some cases. Use garlic the right way, and you would surely get the edge over acne and get back your beautiful face!