Cellulitis can become a severe health problem if not treated in time. This bacterial skin infection is quite painful in which the affected area swells up and becomes red, and this swollen area increases with time(1).
It is, therefore, highly recommended to keep the affected area clean and covered as much as possible. The symptoms of this deadly skin infection include fever, swollen red area, puss, tight skin, tenderness, and pain in the area.
Although they are treated with antibiotics and medication, there are also several home remedies to treat them. Some of the home remedies that are effective to cure the skin infection is using essential oils for cellulitis.
Essential oils are naturally obtained from plants and have various healing properties, which make essential oils for cellulitis quite useful. Essential oils are used to treat multiple diseases, including cellulitis.
All the essential oils contain antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-fungal properties that help in the reduction of skin infection(2). Applying essential oils to the affected area also helps in the growth of the cells to treat the wound and infections caused by bacteria and fungi rapidly.
There are several essential oils available around us; however, people are not much aware of their uses to treat several skin diseases, especially cellulitis. Mentioned below are the oils and how they are used for the treatment of cellulitis.
Essential Oils For Cellulitis
1. Tea Tree Oil for Cellulitis
Tea tree oil is used to treat various skin problems. Tea tree oil is the most commonly used essential oil to treat cellulitis. Due to its anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-inflammatory properties, it can handle the skin naturally and in a safe way. The anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties of tea tree oil are very effective in treating cellulitis.
- Take a piece of clean cotton ball
- Moisten it with some clean water
- Now add some 3 to 4 drops of tea tree oil on the moistened cotton ball
- Once the cotton ball is wholly moistened rub it on the affected areas
- Now leave the skin uncovered for some time so that the oil could easily show its reaction on the affected area
The process of applying tea tree oil can be repeated twice daily and must be used until the skin gets healed and completely cured.
[ Read: Natural Treatments for Cellulitis ]
2. Virgin Coconut Oil
Virgin coconut oil is primarily known to fight cellulitis because of its ability to fight stubborn bacterial infections. It also contains fatty acids and other vitamins that are used to treat several skin infections and has excellent healing properties.
- Use a little amount of virgin coconut oil directly on the affected area and massage for a minute and then leave it for some hours before washing.
Virgin coconut oil can be used several times a day and as much as required.
[ Read: Coconut Oil for Cellulite ]
3. Oregano Essential Oil
Oregano essential oil has exceptional anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal agents that are used to treat antibacterial skin infections, including cellulitis. Oregano essential oils have been conclusively proven for the treatment of cellulitis.
It should never be used directly on the skin. It should always be diluted before using it on the affected area
- First, take a bowl and then add ten drops of Oregano oil in it.
- Now add two tablespoons of any base oil like coconut oil, olive oil, or jojoba oil to dilute it.
- Now apply the oil mixture on the affected part and let it work for some hours
- Do not wash it soon after applying it.
Ten drops of oregano oil diluted with two tablespoons of base oil can be used several times a day to treat the affected area.
[Read: Home Remedies for Cellulitis]
4. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender essential oil is a powerful oil with an antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, and antiseptic agents that helps a great deal to heal the wounds. Its application on the affected area not only heals the wound by increasing the growth of the cells, but it also helps to reduce the scars caused by the wound.
Besides antiseptic agents, it also has anti-microbial action that helps to prevent the wound from creating severe infection and allows the infection to heal in just a few days.
- Take a few drops of lavender oil in a bowl
- Dilute the oil with some water
- Now apply it on the affected area with the help of cotton balls
- Let it stay on the affected area for some hours. Wash it off
You can also use this pure oil directly on the affected skin after rubbing it on your palm and then on the skin.
A small amount of lavender oil diluted with water can be used twice or thrice on the affected part of the body to heal it fast.
5. Grapefruit Essential Oil
When it comes to the best natural essential oils for the treatment of cellulitis, the first and foremost choice of everyone is grapefruit essential oil. It has been known for centuries for the treatment of cellulitis because of its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Take a few drops of grapefruit essential oil in a bowl
- Now add a few drops of any other base oil such as coconut oil or jojoba oil to dilute it
- Now apply it directly on the affected area with the help of a cotton ball
- Leave it on the affected area for some hours
- It helps the wound to heal effectively
The application of Grapefruit essential oil can be repeated several times on the affected area to treat the wound faster.
6. Geranium Oil
The geranium essential oil contains many powerful components like a-pinene, myrcene, menthone, linalool, myrcene, geranyl acetate, citronellal, geraniol, and geranyl butyrate. It has a natural diuretic agent, and it’s anti-inflammatory and hormone balancing properties make it a successful medicine for the treatment of cellulitis.
- Dilute five drops of Geranium Essential oil in one tablespoon of Coconut oil in a bowl
- Now gently apply it on the affected area with the help of a cotton ball
- Now leave it for a few hours before washing it
This blend of two natural oils can be repeated twice daily to treat the infected skin.
[Read: Massages for Cellulite Relief]
7. Juniper Oil
Juniper oil has active components such as alpha-Pinene and Sabinene that acts as a natural remedy for the treatment of cellulitis. It helps in the reduction of skin infection or cellulitis.
- Add a few drops of juniper oil in one tablespoon of coconut oil
- Rub directly on the affected area for treating the infected skin.
The blend of Juniper oil can be used twice a day for treating cellulitis infected skin.
These are a few remedies that are easy to use at home. These essential oils are known to be specially used for the treatment of cellulitis for several years.
However, if the application of these remedies does not suit you or if, in some cases, you do not experience any progress in healing your wound, then you must consult your doctor before the situation gets worse. It is advisable to seek medical assistance and take proper medication from a specified skin specialist for these kinds of skin infections.
1. How Does Cellulitis Occur?
Cellulitis most commonly occurs when bacteria enter your body through any crack, wound, or animal bites. They can also enter the skin through the area of dry, flaky skin and cause severe and worse infection.