Cryogenic therapy is an innovative method that was discovered to benefit many health seekers. In the medical world, Cryogenic therapy has become the latest trend. Cryotherapy treatment or cold therapy is an application that brings down the body temperature at a tissue and cellular level. It releases adrenaline, endorphins, and noradrenaline.
What are the other Cryotherapy benefits? It has a good impact on people who suffer from depression and anxiety.
A study showed that cryotherapy was a suitable and short term treatment to treat anxiety and depression.
- It started in 1978 in the country of Japan. Many medical practitioners conducted a study that had taken an interest in freezing technology. Now it is open to the public and elites across the planet.
- NBA superstars like Lebron James, Grant Hill, have vouched for the benefits of cryotherapy to them. It helps to enhance the performance and alleviates the pain and helps in recovery. Cryotherapy for athletes has shown compelling results.
- Cryotherapy works as an anti-aging agent. Many celebrities follow a procedure called the fountain of life to keep up their confidence.
The Health Benefits of Cryotherapy
1. Lowers the Frequency of Migraines
Cryotherapy(1) is often recommended to treat migraines, which are done by numbing and cooling the area around the neck. A study stated that wrapping an ice pack around the necks to the arteries around the neck helped to reduce migraine pain in those who participated. Cryotherapy benefits in treating migraines as it cools the blood that passes through the inter-cranial vessels.
[ Read: Low Phosphorus Foods ]
2. Lowers Irritation in the Nerves
A lot of athletes have been regularly using cryotherapy for years to treat injuries. One main significant cryotherapy benefits are its ability to numb the pain.
Cryotherapy treatment requires the doctor to treat the area that’s affected with a small probe in the nearby tissue. It helps to treat pinched nerves, chronic pain, and injuries. The cold therapy helps to numb a pained nerve.
3. Cryotherapy for Arthritis
Cryotherapy benefits the body by treating the pain caused by arthritis. A study showed that whole body cryotherapy reduced the pain in people suffering from arthritis. The treatment was also well-tolerated. It increased the way for aggressive physiotherapy and occupational therapy. The rehabilitation programs were more useful and practical after this.
4. Cryotherapy for Prostate Cancer
Alternate cancer treatment is targeting localized cryotherapy. It is also known as “cryosurgery.” It freezes the cancer cells and surrounds them with ice crystals. Cryotherapy benefits us by treating a few types of cancer and low-risk tumors. One of them being prostrate cancer(2).
5. Prevents Alzheimer’s Disease
Cryotherapy benefits in preventing types of dementia and Alzheimers. The anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory properties of cryotherapy help to fight the inflammatory and oxidative stress responses that come with Alzheimer’s.
6. Cryotherapy for Weight Loss
Cryogenic therapy makes weight loss therapy exciting and relatively more comfortable. The cryogenic chamber sets the body to cold temperatures that burn 800 calories in 3 minutes. This process boosts the metabolism process and burns unnecessary fats.
7. Cryotherapy Benefits for Warts
To treat warts, you can try cryotherapy at home. There are over-the-counter products and kits that have a mixture of dimethyl ether and propane other than liquid nitrogen. It helps to soak a foam applicator and is then applied on warts to get rid of them.
Cryotherapy benefits the body by treating cervical cancer. It eradicates the cancerous cells from the cervix. The procedure involves putting a cold chemical on cells and then freezes them before its removal. It helps to get rid of the bad cells that may trigger the symptoms of cervical cancer.
[ Read: Cryotherapy for Warts ]
How and How Much to Use?
- Never use cryotherapy for more than the recommended period of the therapy you’re using.
- Ideally, for whole body cryotherapy, this could be 4-10 minutes or more.
- If you’re using an ice pack/ice bath, never apply ice to the area for more than 20 minutes.
- Wrap ice packs in a towel to avoid damage to your skin.
Side Effects to Remember
- The most common side-effects of cryotherapy are numbness, redness, and tingling sensation in the skin. Although these side effects are temporary, you must see a doctor if it doesn’t resolve in a day.
- Never continue cryotherapy for more than its recommended time. The whole body therapy doesn’t last longer than 4 minutes. Even if using an ice pack shouldn’t last more than 20 minutes.
- Patients suffering from diabetes must refrain from cryotherapy.
Cryotherapy is a trend that is offered by most spas and wellness centers. The researched benefits on eczema, exercise, recovery, and anxiety have made it so popular. It is a very promising approach that is known to treat anxiety depression, but more well-defined trials are required to ensure safety and effectiveness.
1. Does cryotherapy work?
Yes, it does as the procedure exposes the body to liquid nitrogen in freezing temperatures. It heals sore muscles and combats the inflammatory diseases.
2. Can cryotherapy benefit in skin tightening?
It benefits to tighten the skin and reduce wrinkles. It also delays premature aging of the skin.