Diarrhea is a common recurring ailment affects everyone irrespective of age. According to a survey, an individual is likely to suffer from diarrhea about four times a year. Until the symptoms of diarrhea subside, it is unpleasant for the sufferer. Usually, it takes a few days to a week to recover from diarrhea.
Did You Know?
- People affected with diarrhea can lose about 20 liters of fluid in a single day.
- Apart from virus and bacteria, certain medications for depression, cancer, high blood pressure, diabetes, and antibiotics can cause diarrhea.
- Each year, around 525,000 children under the age of five die from diarrhea.
[Also Read: Curb Diarrhea with Natural Treatments]
The Trend Is Towards Opting for Homemade Remedies
Various studies and researches show that people rely on natural home remedies when it comes to treating diarrhea. Antibiotics and pharmaceutical drugs are chemicals, are something that people like to avoid. Unless the diarrhea(1) is a chronic one you can easily self-treat it.
Is Applesauce Good for Diarrhea?
Applesauce for diarrhea is an age-old traditional sauce used to treat diarrhea at home. Apple is full of antioxidants and nutrients that help you in gaining back the strength and overcoming the weakness.
Flavored Applesauce that includes cinnamon, honey and lime add all the goodness in Applesauce during diarrhea. Children and adults love to treat on applesauce as a snack when nothing feels edible.
Why Should You Prefer Applesauce for Diarrhea?
Applesauce spread on toast is a welcome treat for the children even when their stomach is upset. Some of the most important advantages of having applesauce during diarrhea include the following few
- Applesauce for diarrhea is recommended, as it is a natural home remedy to treat diarrhea.
- Cooked or stewed apples, with sugar, lemon and cinnamon is a tested recipe to treat diarrhea. The pectin in the cooked apples makes the stool firmer.
- The applesauce is easy to digest and loaded with nutrients.
- Apples are known to contain pectin, which is a type of fiber that acts as a probiotic.
- Apart from the vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, applesauce is a good source for micronutrients. It replenishes the body when you are weak and fragile.
- Applesauce is a good source of vitamin A and C along with the fibers, which help in firmer stools.
- Apples are also a good source of antioxidants; hence, consuming applesauce during diarrhea is beneficial.
[Read: Apple Cider Vinegar for Diarrhea]
BRAT Diet and Applesauce for Treating Diarrhea
BRAT Diet plays a crucial role in relieving you of the symptoms of diarrhea and are often recommended by physicians. BRAT stands for bananas, rice, applesauce(2), and toast and comprises of bland foods which are easy on the stomach.
Experts often recommend BRAT diet for diarrhea patients. You should follow the diet for not more than two days. You can resume the normal diet later. It is best to avoid foods high in sugar and protein. You should also avoid all sorts of fried, greasy foods along with caffeinated drinks. A BRAT would ideally include
- Cooked Cereals like oatmeal
- Cooked eggs, white meat
- And of course, applesauce!
[Read: Brat Diet for Diarrhea]
A Yummy Fix:
Cinnamon, is an essential spice of every household has antimicrobial properties that help fight infections, and stop diarrhea.
You Will Need
- Cinnamon powder – ½ teaspoon
- Applesauce- ½ cup
Mix the above ingredients and have it several times a day until the symptoms of diarrhea resolve.
How Can You Recover Quickly from Diarrhea
Eat frequently -Staying empty stomach is not a good idea when affected with this condition. It is for the best that one follows the BRAT diet for a day or two. It is true that it is not possible to have enough meals at a time, but then you can surely have small bowls of applesauce for diarrhea with frequent intervals that will be effective for your health.
Diarrhea is a common ailment and can be treated with simple homemade remedies. Since ages, home remedies for treating diarrhea are used to treat children with diarrhea. The home remedies are effective. Diarrhea is a curable ailment. And Applesauce, in this case, is effective because it helps in making the stools firmer.
It usually takes a few days to up to a week to get be completely relieved from the symptoms of diarrhea. Rehydration is crucial during the recovering time. If the condition persists even after a week, it is advisable to visit a physician.