Are your stilettos and sandals resting in the closet collecting dust? We understand how painful it is to not be able to wear them and especially if it is especially because of toenail fungus. However, discard all your troubles and read on as we tell you what exactly is toenail fungus and how to get rid of it at home.
Toenail fungus is a dermatological infection that affects the toenails and toenail cuticles. It is that is caused by Dermatophyte species. Toenail fungus can also occur by the growth of mold and yeast on the cuticles. Administering apple cider vinegar might adequately address the symptoms of toenail fungus. It destroys the growing fungus and rejuvenates the health and beauty of the toenails. Read on to find out more about how to combat toenail fungus by the application of the home remedies prepared using apple cider vinegar.
Apple cider vinegar is a type of vinegar prepared by the fermentation of freshly extracted apple juice. The apple juice is subjected to fermentation by adding yeast and bacteria that convert the sugars present in apple juice into brownish and clouded alcohol. The second step of fermentation involves the conversion of alcohol into vinegar. This vinegar is rich in malic acid and acetic acid that gives the vinegar its distinct sour flavor.
It is of utmost importance to make use of raw, unpasteurized, and unfiltered apple cider vinegar for the preparation of home remedies for constipation. It is because raw and pure vinegar is rich in proteins, pectin, and a host of essential enzymes and vitamins.
Why Use Apple Cider Vinegar?
This vinegar is excellent for the natural treatment of toenail fungus. It helps in the simulation of an acidic environment that contributes to inhibiting the growth of the toenail fungus. The reasons for which apple cider vinegar gets administered for the natural treatment of toenail fungus are:
[Also Read: Natural Treatment of Toenail Fungus]
1. Antimicrobial Properties
This vinegar is known for its powerful antiseptic and antifungal properties. These properties work to demolish the different strains of bacteria, germs, fungus(1), and several other micro-organisms.
2. Creates Acidic Environment
The most favorable environmental condition for the dermatophytes to grow and flourish is an alkaline environment. The alkalinity of the toenails and nail cuticles supports the growth and spread of toenail infection.
The topical application of this vinegar helps in the creation of an acidic environment that is extremely unfavorable for the survival of the toenail fungus. The increase in the level of acidity destroys the fungal strains and helps to balance the pH value as well.
[Read: Epsom Salt for Toenail Fungus]
3. Boosts The Immunity
Apple cider vinegar(2)contains a plethora of organic acids such as succinic acid, lactic acid, acetic acid, citric acid, and malic acid. These organic acids help in the natural enhancement of skin’s immunity and toenails to the invasion of germs like fungus and bacteria. Applying this vinegar regularly on the toes and toenails helps to cleanse the skin and prevent the recurrence of toenail fungus as well.
Top 3 DIY Recipes
1. Soaking In Apple Cider Vinegar
Soaking the affected toes in warm apple cider vinegar solution is one of the most effective home remedies made by using apple cider vinegar for toenail fungus.
How to use?
- Combine a bowl each of lukewarm water and raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar for preparing a diluted solution with apple cider vinegar
- Dip your feet in the lukewarm solution of water and raw apple cider vinegar and make sure that the infected and discolored toenails wholly get immersed in the diluted apple cider vinegar solution
- Keep your toes dipped in the diluted apple cider vinegar solution for about 15-20 minutes or until the solution becomes cold
- Do this every couple of hours for the most efficient use relating to apple cider vinegar for toenail fungus.
Soaking your feet in warm apple cider vinegar solution helps in establishing a healthy flow of blood to the toes which is crucial for alleviating pain, infection, inflammation, swelling, and burning sensation of the affected toenails. The antibacterial, anti-fungal properties of this vinegar aids in inhibiting the growth of the infectious fungus and cures the discoloration and the brittle texture of the infected toenails.
Do not apply raw apple cider vinegar on the skin as that may cause blisters.
[Read: Bleach for Toenail Fungus]
2. Manuka Honey And Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
The consumption of a decoction of organic manuka honey and unfiltered, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar for toenail fungus treatment is a remedy that will help you get rid of that stubborn fungus.
How to use?
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of organic manuka honey to 2-3 tablespoons of raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar for making a paste
- Heat a cup of purified or distilled water over a low flame for a few minutes
- Add the paste of honey and apple cider vinegar into the cup of lukewarm water with gentle stirring to prepare a solution
- Drink the solution on an empty stomach every morning and before going to bed.
- Follow through with the home remedy twice a day on a daily basis for the natural treatment of toenail fungus
The combination of organic manuka honey and unfiltered apple cider vinegar makes for excellent use of apple cider vinegar for toenail fungus. Medical studies and research point to manuka honey being a powerful antibacterial and antifungal agent. These get accentuated with the addition of raw apple cider vinegar.
It is recommended to not apply manuka honey(3) directly to the skin as it can be sticky and quite messy. Do not eat or drink anything for at least half an hour after drinking the solution. Make sure that your digestive tract is not allergic to apple cider vinegar and do not consume the vinegar in excess.
3. Rice Flour And Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar
Rice flour and unfiltered apple cider vinegar make a perfect topical application for getting rid of toenail fungus.
How to use?
- Blend 2-3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar with a tablespoon of rice flour powder to prepare a thick paste
- Make sure that the paste is thick in consistency
- Smear it on your infected and greenish toenails with the paste made from apple cider vinegar and rice flour
- Wrap your toenails with sterile gauze to protect the paste from chipping off
- Rinse your toes and toenails with lukewarm water after about an hour
- Do this twice on a daily basis for the cure of toenail fungus
The paste of rice flour and apple cider vinegar helps in exfoliation of the skin. It also helps to cleanse the toenails by sloughing off the dead skin cells which assist in the regeneration of new and shiny nails.
Make sure that your skin is not allergic to this paste by conducting a patch test on an unaffected part of the surface before using the remedy.
Follow through with the natural remedies prepared by using apple cider vinegar for toenail fungus to turn your dreams into reality. Maintain cleanliness and good hygiene to keep toenail fungus at bay. Adopt the home remedies right from today and lead a healthy life.