Do your eyes look all red, bloodshot? Do you feel a persistent urge to rub your eyes to get relief from the constant itching? Are your eyes watering and burning? You might have contacted conjunctivitis, popularly known as the pink eye. If you are scared of trying chemical ointments, then try a dash of apple cider vinegar for a pink eye to soothe your eyes and cure it.
An overview of conjunctivitis
Pink eye or conjunctivitis(1) is a common eye disorder that is characterized by the inflammation of the external membrane of the eyes. The swelling of the outermost layer or the conjunctiva occurs due to allergic reactions and bacterial action. It is a widespread problem and you can follow some home remedies prepared by using apple cider vinegar for a pink eye infection and get rid of it quickly.
[ Also Read:Natural Treatments to Treat Pink Eye ]
Why use ACV?
ACV is a known anti-inflammatory agent and it helps in reducing the inflammation and also helps in providing instant relief in the form of reducing the pain. Additionally, as it is an antibacterial agent, it helps in stopping any bacterial growth, if any.
Apple cider vinegar contains acetic acid, malic acid, citric acid, lactic acid, and succinic acid which lend the vinegar its tart and sour flavor. Apple cider vinegar is also rich in enzymes, amino acids, antioxidants, and a host of different nutrients that lend it its medicinal properties.
This solution is remarkably effective for pink eye treatment at home. The home remedies need to be administered with the utmost care. The reasons for which apple cider vinegar is useful for the natural treatment of the pink eye or conjunctivitis include.
1. Rich in antioxidants
Most of the diseases that affect the eyes are caused due to oxidative stress and damage inflicted upon the eyes by toxic free radicals. Apple cider vinegar is rich in potent antioxidants that fight against harmful free radicals and protect the eyes against oxidative stress. The presence of antioxidants makes apple cider vinegar an excellent eyedrop for the cure of conjunctivitis or pink eye(2).
2. Rich in vitamins and minerals
Apple cider vinegar is an excellent remedy for eye problems. Apple cider vinegar contains vitamins like vitamin B6, vitamin B2, vitamin B1, vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin C, beta-carotene, and provitamin beta-carotene. These vitamins and other nutrients quicken natural alleviation of redness, burning sensation, itchiness, and wateriness of the eyes. The administration of apple cider vinegar as an eyewash can cure pink eye effectively.
3. Rich in enzymes and amino acids
Apple cider vinegar contains essential amino acids and proteins that work for increasing the status of the health. The skin around the eyes possesses blood vessels that get stretched due to the accumulation of fluids. The dilation of the blood vessels appears in the form of eye bags beneath the eyes — the rich array of minerals of apple cider vinegar work to eliminate the accumulation of fluids.
4. Apple cider vinegar is antibacterial
Apple cider vinegar possesses potent antibacterial properties because of its rich content of enzymes, amino acids, minerals, vitamins, organic acids, and antioxidants. Drinking apple cider vinegar on a regular basis can help to cure the bacterial infection of the eyes by the inhibition of bacterial action.
DIY Remedies for Pink Eye
1. Eyewash with apple cider vinegar
The administration of diluted apple cider vinegar as an eyewash is a good way of using apple cider vinegar for a pink eye.
- Warm a cup of distilled water for a few minutes. Do not use tap water to prepare the solution to be used as an eyedrop.
- Blend a tablespoon of raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar with a cup of lukewarm water with slight stirring to prepare a solution of apple cider vinegar.
- Dip a cotton swab in the solution and then gently press the soaked cotton swab to the infected eye. Keep your eyes closed during the application of the cotton swab.
- Use another piece of the fresh cotton swab for the other eye. It is important to note here that the eyewash should be applied to the infected eye as well as to the uninfected eye for proper treatment of pink. The application of the eyewash to both of the eyes is made to prevent the spread of infection.
- Use the soaked cotton swab to wipe the corners and the sides of your eyes.
- Repeat the use of the eyewash of apple cider vinegar for pink eye thrice a day on a daily basis. Make sure that you use fresh cotton swabs for every round of treatment.
The application of apple cider vinegar as eye drops helps you clean your eyes and get rid of the bacterial infection. The eyewash soothes the pain and inflammation of the eyes and cures the redness and burning sensation as well. The application of the eyewash might sting for a few seconds but you may ignore the stinging sensation as it is harmless and caused due to the acidic nature of apple cider vinegar.
[ Read: Natural Cures for Pink Eye]
2. Organic honey and apple cider vinegar
The eyedrop of organic honey and unfiltered apple cider vinegar is a marvelous way of using apple cider vinegar for pink eye.
How to use?
- Fill a cup with five tablespoons of purified water. You can also use distilled water to make sure that the water is entirely devoid of chemicals and impurities.
- Blend a tablespoon of raw and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar with the purified water in the cup. Stir gently to prepare an evenly dissolved solution of apple cider vinegar.
- Add two tablespoons of organic honey to the solution of apple cider vinegar and water in the cup. Mix the contents well, and the eyedrop is ready.
- Use a glass dropper to put a drop of the eyedrop solution into the eye affected with conjunctivitis. Put another drop of the solution in the uninfected eye as well.
- Use the eyedrop twice daily to get relief from the infection.
Honey is known for its excellent antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. These medicinal properties of honey get accentuated by the addition of apple cider vinegar. The blend of honey and apple cider vinegar works effectively to cure the bacterial infection and inflammation of the conjunctiva. When you use the eyedrops made with honey(3) and apple cider vinegar, the eyes might sting slightly, but that is harmless.
There is growing evidence of relief using apple cider vinegar for pink eye and you no longer need to struggle with the irritating symptoms of the infection. The itching, the redness, the sticky discharge, and swelling disappear with the solution of apple cider vinegar. You will be bowled over by it just like millions of people who refer to it fondly as a miracle medicine.
[ Read: Honey for Pink Eye ]
The Best Way To Use ACV
Before using the healing agent, apple cider vinegar for pink eye treatment, keep the following points in mind:
- Do not use raw apple cider vinegar directly in your eyes. Dilute the apple cider vinegar before applying it to the eyes.
- If your eyes burn after the application of apple cider vinegar eyewash or eyedrop, rinse your eyes with cold water to get rid of the vinegar from your eyes immediately.
- Ensure to choose raw apple cider vinegar or the unpasteurized and organic ACV with no preservatives or chemicals for treating your pink eye.
- Practicing good hygiene to the control stops the spread of pink eye
- Restrict touching your eyes with your hands constantly
- Wash your hands constantly
- Don’t share your personal belongings such as towels and washcloths. Also, make sure you clean them consistently.
Remember that the pink eye is contagious and could spread as easily as the common cold. Do make sure that you practice these safety preventive tips.
The eyes are the most sensitive organs of the body and need to be treated with maximum care and caution. The home remedies prepared by using apple cider vinegar for pink eye are very useful and can cure the pain, inflammation, and burning sensation of the eyes quickly.
1. How can you tell if the pink eye is viral or bacterial?
The pink eye or conjunctivitis is bacterial in nature, however, there are several times that they are caused by viral. However, it could not be differentiated in any way.
2. Is apple cider vinegar safe for eyes?
Yes, it could be safe. However, it should be diluted in water before it is used on your eyes. It should be made sure that you should only apply it to the edges.