Apple Cider Vinegar for Leg CrampsEver felt a shooting pain in your legs after a quick sprint or after a long stretch of walking? This pain occurs due to cramping of the leg muscles which become tight and trigger painful spasms in the body. Leg cramps are essentially muscle spasms that are caused by involuntary contractions of the muscles of the legs.
A leg cramp gets associated with sudden bursts of pain, swelling, and redness of the affected area. However, a muscle cramp does not last long and can be treated successfully by the administration of apple cider vinegar for leg cramps.
An immediate way to relieve leg cramps is by gentle exercises like stretching and relaxing the leg muscles until the pain and tautness of muscles disappear.
Why do you Think Leg Cramps Occur and How?
Leg cramps usually occur due to overexertion of the leg muscles and general deficiency of nutrients and minerals in the daily diet. One of the primary causes of leg cramps(1) is dehydration.
The depletion of fluids and electrolytes causes cramping of the leg muscles. The symptoms of leg cramps include severe pain, swelling, weakness of the muscles, and inflammation of the affected area.
What Are The Risk Factors Associated With The Painful Leg Cramps?
The risk factors associated with leg cramps include deficiency of potassium, calcium, and electrolytes in the diet, conditions like pregnancy, and post-pregnancy stages, overexertion of the leg muscles, muscle fatigue and tautness, sedentary lifestyle, muscle twitches due to nerve problems, and osteoarthritis.
Why Should You Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Leg Cramps?
Apple cider vinegar is remarkably effective for the natural treatment of leg cramps. The administration of home remedies prepared by using apple cider vinegar can cure every kind of muscle spasms and leg cramps. The reasons for which apple cider vinegar is useful for the alleviation of leg cramps include-
1. Apple Cider Vinegar Is Rich In Minerals
One of the causes of muscle spasms and leg cramp is the deficiency of essential minerals in the body. Apple cider vinegar is rich in potassium and calcium, which are the two minerals that play a crucial role in promoting the health and functioning efficiency of muscles and bones. Drinking apple cider vinegar is a good way of replenishing the body with minerals which makes it incredibly useful for the natural alleviation of leg cramps.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar Is Analgesic And Anti-Inflammatory In Nature
The analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties of apple cider vinegar work to alleviate the soreness, swelling, redness, and inflammation of the area affected by leg cramps. Drinking apple cider vinegar not only cures the leg cramps with these medicinal properties but also helps in the maintenance of fluid and electrolyte balance in the body thereby preventing dehydration.
DIY – Do It Yourself
1. Take A Bath Of Apple Cider Vinegar For Leg Cramps
Bathing sore legs in diluted apple cider vinegar is a splendid way of using apple cider vinegar for leg cramps.
How to use?
- Fill a bathtub with hot water and add 2-3 cups of raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar to it. Stir the water in the tub to make sure that the apple cider vinegar gets evenly dissolved. Do not overheat the water.
- Soak yourself in the apple cider vinegar bath for about half an hour. Massage your legs while in the tub and luxuriate the warmth of the bath water.
- It is recommended to take the apple cider bath in the evening right after coming back home from a strenuous day to relax your nerves and muscles.
Apple cider vinegar for muscle cramps(2) helps to relieve the tautness of the cramped muscles and cuts down on the frequency of recurrence of muscle cramps in the legs. The warmth of the water helps to soothe the soreness of the leg muscles and alleviate the swelling and redness of the affected area as well. This home remedy is a good use of apple cider vinegar for leg cramps and muscle pain.
2. Use Water And Apple Cider Vinegar For Leg Cramps
Apple cider vinegar for leg cramps becomes highly beneficial when diluted with water and used. It is the safest method of using this remedy.
How to use?
- Heat a glass of water for a few minutes to obtain lukewarm water.
- Add a teaspoon of raw and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar to the lukewarm water in the glass with slight stirring to prepare a solution of diluted apple cider vinegar.
- Drink the solution of apple cider vinegar and water on a regular basis for the cure of leg cramps and all kinds of muscle spasms and aches.
Drinking an infusion of water and apple cider vinegar for leg cramps helps in the natural alleviation of leg cramps by hydrating the body and replenishing the declining levels of minerals and electrolytes in the body. You can also take apple cider vinegar with your favorite fruit juices instead of with plain water.
[Read: Natural Remedies for Hand Cramps]
3. Use The Warm Compress Of Apple Cider Vinegar For Leg Cramps
A warm compress works best for relieving yourself from leg cramps. Addition of apple cider vinegar enhances its effect manifolds.
How to use?
- Put a bowl of water on the boil over a medium flame. Let the water boil for a few minutes before taking it off the fire.
- Add a cup of raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar to the bowl of hot water and stir gently to prepare a solution of apple cider vinegar.
- Soak a clean cloth in the solution of apple cider vinegar and then wrap the soaked towel around the cramped muscle. Keep the legs covered with the fabric as long as it stays warm. Remove the cloth, soak it in the solution, and wrap it around the painful muscle again. Do this repeatedly for about 15-20 minutes. Make sure that the apple cider solution remains warm throughout the administration of the warm compress.
- Apply the warm compress thrice a day for the natural treatment of leg cramps and muscle pain.
The application of a warm compress of apple cider vinegar helps in the natural cure of leg cramps by enhancing the circulation of blood in the affected area. The smooth flow of blood assists in the alleviation of pain, inflammation, and swelling in the area surrounding the affected muscles.
A Word Of Caution
- Do not take apple cider vinegar in excess as it might cause acidic reflux and digestive problems.
- Do not take apple cider vinegar if your digestive tract is allergic to it.
If the fun cycling trip has brought you down with acute leg cramps, then try out these home remedies prepared by using apple cider vinegar for leg cramps. Follow through with the home remedies and restore the healthy functioning of the leg muscles in no time. The home remedies can also be administered for pains and aches in other parts of the body, however, if the pain and swelling of the legs persist then consult a physician for medical treatment. Nonetheless, ACV is one of the best natural remedies for leg cramps.