Want to buy that pretty dress exhibited on the mannequin, but something is stopping you from doing that? What is it? Are those the unsightly stretch marks that you don’t want to reveal? Stop covering them, instead try some natural stretch marks home remedies that can quickly solve your troubles. No matter what is the cause of those ugly stretch marks, follow these how to get rid of stretch marks cures to erase the ugly marks and get clear skin.
What are Stretch Marks?
Stretch marks also known as striae are lines or grooves that appear on your skin. These are harmless but do not present a pleasant sight which may force you to cover them up. The stretch marks may be red, purple or white depending upon whether they have been recently formed or are old.
What Causes Stretch Marks?
As you grow, your body undergoes numerous changes. To adapt to such changes your skin is somewhat elastic. But in case, your body experiences a sudden change, or it grows rapidly, your skin might not be able to stretch enough to keep up with it. Though the middle layer of the skin grows, the topmost layer is not able to extend much resulting in a tear in the skin. It is this tear that appears as a stretch mark.
Collagen, the protein present in the skin lends it the elasticity. Thus, if your skin has less of the protein, it may not be able to stretch enough resulting in marks. Other factors that cause rapid growth leading to the formation of stretch marks are:
- Instant growth spurts
- Excessive weight loss
- Marfan syndrome, a genetic disease that causes unusual growth.
Natural Remedies for Stretch Marks Removal
Have got stretch marks on legs, arms on thighs? Do not stress out or be disheartened, as these can be easily treated by adopting some simple remedies. These work on your stretch marks whether old or new and lighten their appearance so that you can wear anything and everything confidently. Try how to get rid of stretch marks remedies mentioned below and flaunt your beautiful skin as you like.
1. Foods that can Help You out in Getting Rid of Stretch Marks
How to Get Rid of Stretch Marks with Lemon?
Are the annoying stretch marks on the stomach making you fret? Head to your kitchen and resolve your troubles effectively with lemon. It is one of the most effective stretches marks home remedies.
How to use?
- Take a lemon
- Squeeze out lemon juice in a bowl
- Apply the juice on the affected area
- Massage the juice in a circular motion so that it absorbs into your skin
- Leave it for around ten minutes
- Rinse the area with warm water
- After that apply a moisturizer
- Repeat this process twice a day to lighten the pregnancy stretch marks
- To the lemon juice add one to two tablespoons of gram flour and a teaspoon of freshly taken out cucumber juice
- Mix the contents to form a thick paste
- Apply the paste using to the area with stretch marks
- Leave it for around ten minutes
- After that, wash the area with lukewarm water
- You can use this remedy once every day
Benefits of lemon
Lemon has acidic and has strong bleaching properties which make it an excellent remedy to fade stretch marks. Use this lemon remedy to lighten your white stretch marks.
People with sensitive skin or a history of allergy must do a skin patch test before using this lemon remedy. Lemon being acidic may irritate your skin.
Foods to eat
Stretch marks are a result of poor collagen production that directly affects the elasticity of your skin, thus making it more prone to stretch marks. Therefore, if you are looking for how to prevent stretch marks, then from this very second incorporate a healthy diet. The foods that may help in preventing the infection are:
- Foods rich in Vitamin A, C, and E: Eating foods rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Vitamin E is the best way to get rid of stretch marks. These aid in healing the current stretch marks and prevent the formation of the new ones. Eat more of dairy products, avocados, carrots, berries, and sweet potatoes to get rid of the unsightly stretch marks.
- Foods rich in Zinc: Zinc is an essential mineral required by your body for production of collagen. It also plays a vital role in healing the skin. Add foods rich in Zinc like fish and turkey to increase the elasticity of the skin.
- Foods rich in Protein: Protein is essential for skin repair and growth. Eating foods rich in protein like tuna, chicken breast, meat, eggs, and dairy products can aid in the growth of new cells and prevents stretch marks.
- Water: About 70% of your body is made up of water. Thus, water plays an essential part in keeping it healthy, hydrated and nourished. Drinking eight to ten glasses of water ensures that your skin remains healthy and elastic with a reasonable level of collagen production.
Foods to avoid
Stretch marks can be a cause of worry and embarrassment prevent them by avoiding foods that harm your body. Avoid drinks like soda, tea, and coffee that dehydrate your skin and make it more vulnerable to stretch marks.
2. Herbal Treatments to Get Rid of Stretch Marks
How to Remove Stretch Marks with Aloe Vera?
No one likes those unsightly marks. Seeing the stretch marks on your arms can make you crib. The newly formed red stretch marks should be given immediate attention as these can clear quickly. So do not wait for them to get old instead head to your garden and pick an aloe vera leaf. Know how to get rid of stretch marks with aloe vera(1).
How to use?
- Cut a leaf from the aloe vera plant
- Extract the fresh gel from the leaf
- To the gel, add oil from 5 Vitamin A capsules and 10 Vitamin E capsules
- Mix them well and massage the mixture on the affected area
- Let it absorb into the skin. Don’t rinse it.
- Repeat this process two times a day until the stretch marks diminish
- Alternatively, you may also use Aloe Vera gel only. Massage it onto the affected area and leave for around fifteen minutes. After that, rinse with lukewarm water.
Benefits of Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera gel is an excellent treatment for getting rid of stretch marks. It contains compounds like gibberellin and glucomannan that play an active role in the synthesis of collagen. Thus, application of aloe vera gel speeds up the skin healing process thus effectively lightening the new stretch marks. The addition of Vitamin A and Vitamin E oil further accelerates the fading of the stretch marks.
You must use freshly extracted aloe vera gel. The store-bought gels may not give you the desired results.
3. Use Essential oils for Stretch Marks Removal
How to clear Stretch Marks with Tea tree oil?
Essential oils are potent plant extracts with umpteen benefits. These can help cure numerous ailments. Thus if you are looking for how to get rid of stretch marks, then you can always turn up to essential oils. One such oil that gives you quick results is Tea Tree Oil(2). It can clear your stretch marks fast.
How to use?
- Mix four to five drops of tea tree essential oil with one and a half tablespoon of a carrier oil like coconut or olive oil
- Apply the blend to the stretch marks and massage in a circular motion so that it gets easily absorbed into the skin
- You can use this remedy two times a day.
Benefits of Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree Oil is highly effective in lightening the stretch marks on your body. Application of the oil on a regular basis accelerates the fading of stretch marks on back and thighs.
Tea tree oil is highly potent; hence you must use it in diluted form only. If you have sensitive skin, then do a skin patch test before using this tea tree oil remedy. Apply a small amount of diluted tea tree oil on your arm. If it stings too much, then avoid using this remedy.
How can Rosehip Essential Oil help in Removing Stretch Marks?
Stretch marks happen when your skin gets excessively stretched due to rapid growth, but this is not only the case. Stretch marks also occur when you lose excessive weight instantaneously. Due to lesser elasticity, your skin is not able to adjust in sudden change. Thus, you may experience stretch marks after weight loss. Rosehip essential Oil(3) is an excellent remedy for treating such stretch marks.
How to use?
- Add few drops of Rosehip Oil in a carrier oil
- Apply the blend directly on the stretch marks
- Massage it effectively in a circular motion so that it gets absorbed into your skin
- You can massage the mixture two times a day.
Benefits of Rosehip Oil
Rosehip Essential oil is loaded with antioxidants and is rich in Vitamin A and vitamin E which are known to boost collagen production. Further, the fatty acids present in the oil aid in skin healing and reduction of stretch marks.
Rosehip oil is mild; hence people may recommend you to use it directly. But to be on the safer side and prevent any side-effect, it is better than you use it in diluted form.
Other Essential Oils for Stretch Marks
- Frankincense Essential Oil
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Geranium Essential Oil
- Helichrysum Essential Oil
- Myrrh Essential Oil
4. Home Remedies for Treating Stretch Marks
How to use Apple Cider Vinegar to clear Stretch Marks?
Got stretch marks on the breast? Or are their stretch marks on the butt? Apple cider Vinegar(4) is the magic remedy for all of them. It is an excellent remedy for diminishing stretch marks naturally.
How to use?
- Dilute apple cider vinegar with water
- Pour the diluted mixture in a spray bottle
- Spray the solution on the skin surface with stretch marks before you go to bed
- Leave it overnight
- Next morning, wash the area and apply a moisturizer
- Repeat this remedy every night till your stretch marks fade
Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider vinegar has potent properties that aid in lightening the stretch marks. When you apply apple cider vinegar on your stretch marks, the malic acid and acetic acid present in it, come into action and diminish the scars.
The acidic nature of apple cider vinegar can harm sensitive skin, hence dilute it as per your convenience.
How to Get Rid of Stretch Marks with Coffee?
While you might think that stretch marks are a women issue, it is not the case, stretch marks in men are also common. These might appear in boys during puberty due to rapid growth. Even, those undergoing bodybuilding may also get them. The stretch marks on arms of bodybuilders are common. Treat them effectively by using coffee.
How to use?
- Take some amount of grounded coffee and add water to it to make a thick paste
- Apply the paste on the affected area and scrub well in a circular motion
- Do this for at least three to five minutes
- After that, wash the area with warm water and moisturize it
- You can use this coffee scrub daily
- For better results, you can also add aloe vera gel or olive oil to the scrub
Benefits of Coffee Scrub
Scrubbing coffee helps it to penetrate deeper into the skin. It helps in breaking fats under the skin. Further, the presence of antioxidants promotes cell regeneration. Rubbing it on the affected area increases the blood accelerating the skin healing process and lightening the stretch marks.
Be gentle while scrubbing, do not rub too hard as it may damage your skin.
5. Natural Treatments for Getting Rid of Stretch Marks
How to Remove Stretch Marks with Vitamin E oil?
Vitamin E(5) is one of the most vital nutrients for skin care. It is widely used in numerous skin care treatments. So, if you are looking for how to get rid of stretch marks, then Vitamin E Oil is one of the best things that you can rely on. The ugly purple stretch marks on thighs can be easily treated with Vitamin E oil remedy.
How to use?
- Take Vitamin E capsule
- Break it open and apply the oil to the stretch marks
- Massage it for some time so that the oil gets into the skin
- Leave it on, no need to wash
- Repeat it two to three times a day
- Alternatively, you can also consume Vitamin E capsule
Benefits of Vitamin E oil
Vitamin E oil contains antioxidant properties which promote regeneration of skin cells. It nourishes your skin, keeps it healthy and works on the stretch marks.
If you are taken Vitamin E capsule orally, then do not exceed the consumption from one capsule per day.
How to Prevent Stretch Marks?
The above mentioned homemade remedies significantly help in diminishing stretch marks. But if you follow the right lifestyle pattern, then the ugly stretch marks might not even happen. To reduce your risk of getting stretch marks, follow the tips mentioned below:
- Monitor your weight: It is one of the prime reasons of getting stretch marks. Maintain a healthy weight to prevent stretch marks.
- Moisturize your skin: Skin stretching may cause itching. These itchy stretch marks can be prevented by applying oils and creams that moisturize your skin and keep it supple, preventing the appearance of stretch marks.
- Exercise regularly: Exercising helps in maintaining the correct weight. It also increases the blood flow which will boost cell regeneration. And accelerate skin healing.
- Wear sunscreen: The ultraviolet radiations damage the collagen and elastin present in skin affecting its elasticity and increasing the risk of stretch marks.
- Avoid Steroids: Steroids are known to weaken collagen making you more prone to stretch marks.
- Maintain a healthy diet: Eat foods that supply your skin with an adequate amount of nutrients to stay healthy.
- Avoid smoking: Smoking adversely affects your skin. It releases free radicals that break the collagen and elastin present in the skin. Further, it reduces the blood flow to the skin.
These were some of the best remedies for how to get rid of stretch marks. These help in nourishing your skin and boost its elasticity, thus working towards diminishing the stretch marks. Further, these do not pose any side-effects; hence you can try them out without any worry. Use them regularly to see the stretch marks disappear naturally.
Stretch marks are common whether it be women or men, so you need not be embarrassed about them. Instead, try these stretch marks home remedies and gets your healthy and clear skin back.