Nobody on this earth is perfect. You might also be worried about a lot of issues in you but not finding a sure-shot solution. One such thing that concerns more than 160 million people in the US is their weight. Yes! We are talking about being overweight and weight loss. Are you getting surprised as for how acupuncture can have a say in this?
Well, acupuncture is a 5000-year-old healing process from China that has a remedy for all, and that includes acupuncture for weight loss too! Hence, stop being astonished and read ahead to know the various benefits, process, and points of acupuncture that can help in weight loss.
Does Acupuncture Work For Weight Loss?
Studies show that acupuncture for weight loss combined with the traditional methods of weight loss has been successful for losing weight. By taking approximately three sessions of acupuncture, you can see useful results in such cases. Acupuncture, when accompanied by other weight loss methods, can help patients lose more weight quickly. Roughly 95 percent of all Americans who set goals to lessen the influence tend to fail after investing a lot of money in programs of weight loss(1), as they fail to manage a healthy lifestyle.
For the benefit of reaching the goals, acupuncture is the safest and effective measure to adapt as the technique includes insertion of fine pointed needles along the surface of the body to channelize energy across various points. The needles work on the stimulation of endorphins that create a sense of relaxation in the body. The patient can easily reach attain weight loss through this procedure.
[Also Read: How to Lose Weight Natural]
What Does the Research Say About Acupuncture for Weight Loss?
As per a study which occurred in 2012 over the therapy of acupuncture for weight loss, it was found that acupuncture had some distinctive effects on weight loss. They preferred to use either regular acupuncture or sham acupuncture on the women dealing with excess weight. The study took place for one or one and a half month. They performed the sessions of 20 minutes, two times per week for up to five consecutive weeks. The results were that the women who had regular acupuncture had declined levels of leptin and insulin in their body.
Their Body Mass Index (BMI)(2) also got decreased that ultimately caused weight loss in them more effectively than the women dealing with sham acupuncture. In a review from 2017, the researchers concluded about the efficiency of laser acupuncture on weight loss. The study focused on specific aspects that deal with weight loss, and the results came out to be successful.
[Also Read: Power Yoga for Weight Loss]
What Are the Numerous Acupuncture Benefits for Weight Loss?
Taking acupuncture therapy for weight loss(3) is the measure that will incur many useful benefits related to weight loss as well as other mechanisms in the body. It supports the metabolism and functioning of the body by clearing all the blockages by channeling the energy from and to various acupoints. Some acupuncture benefits for weight loss are –
- It helps the patient in getting relief from the abnormal levels of hunger in the body.
- It will give you relief from bloating, constipation and other gastrointestinal problems and will improve the process of digestion.
- Ends inflammation or any stress in your gut and saves from the issues related to heart as well as the immune system.
- It helps in maintaining the balance of certain hormones that are essential for the body and its function.
It lifts the mood by removing stress and anxiety factors by releasing endorphins. Endorphins make the individual feel good.
What are the Different Acupuncture Points for Weight Loss?
Various acupuncture points for weight loss treatment are present all across our body on locations like abdomen, knees, elbows, ears, and ankles. The practitioner applies pressure on these points to stimulate the energy, after massaging the respective area. These acupoints provide relaxation and deplete stress that may cause an eating disorder.
The ones with binge eating disorder always have increased chances to become obese and gain a lot of weight. These acupuncture points for treating weight loss are way more beneficial in managing eating disorders and manifest a healthy eating lifestyle. A gentle massage over these points can make an individual effortlessly relaxed and benefitted.
Ear Acupuncture Points for Weight Loss
Ear acupuncture for weight loss can be beneficial in decreasing weight. These acupuncture points tend to help in controlling an individual’s appetite. It removes tension from the ears which has a significant role in the treatment of ear infection, earache, and migraine.
[Also Read: Home Remedies for Weight Loss]
Abdominal Points for Weight Loss
An acupoint is present at three centimeters below the belly button and applying pressure on it, modifies the digestion of an individual positively and effectively. It also provides strength to the body and helps in getting aid from the problem of constipation. Another point present near the rib cage is the Abdomen Sorrow Point. This point helps in dealing with ulcers, indigestion, and imbalances of the appetite.
Knee Point for Weight Loss
The knee point enhances the activity of the stomach and its role in digestion, along with providing proper conditioning of the blood. It is present about 2 inches below the kneecap facing outwards, and on applying pressure, one can feel the flex of the muscle when inducing a movement.
Elbow Point for Weight Loss
It is a part of large Intestine points and is at the internal side of the elbow, present at the end. Focusing on it helps in the removal of unnecessary heat and additional moisture content from the intestines.
Ankle Points for Weight Loss
This point is present at about 2 inches above the ankle on the inner side and is off the bone. It helps in enhancing the functioning of the digestive system. It makes the digestive system act efficiently without any interruptions.
[Read: Acupressure for Weight Loss]
Tips for First Timers
Freshers to this treatment should know a few things before heading towards their first session.
- The number of courses to your treatment varies according to the severity of your current condition. Some are benefitted at a faster rate too.
- If you are suffering from an acute disorder, then it may take you about two sessions of the treatment to get better.
- The procedure follows the penetration of the needles that are fine and well-pointed.
- The acupuncturist will set you up in a position after inserting the needles, and you must move when you’re asked to do so.
- The acupuncturist will use alcohol to swab at the places before inserting the needles. It will disinfect your skin and will avert the possible infections.
Acupuncture Side Effects and Precautions
Acupuncture for weight loss has a minimum amount of side effects, as compared to other conventional weight loss methods. Side effects depend on the experience of the acupuncturist. If the practitioner is not licensed, then ignorance might cause you punctured organs, infections, injury on the Central Nervous System and Lung collapse.
The precautions that one must keep in mind, before heading towards an acupuncture session for weight loss are –
- People who have heart problems, on pacemaker machine, suffer from blood and bruise disorders must consult their doctor before taking an appointment for an acupuncture session.
- Pregnant women are not allowed to use certain acupuncture points for losing weight, as acupuncture increases the chances of labor and delivery. Pregnant women must consult their doctor before taking up the session.
- The needles must be sterilized before and after their use. The use of non-sterilized needles has a high tendency to transfer various infections from one person to another.
- A licensed professional of acupuncture should only treat you with this technique.
Acupuncture for weight loss not only enables a healthy digestive system but also activates the efficiency of the functioning of the body. When talking about weight loss with the process of acupuncture, one does not need any crash diets or weight loss programs to decrease the weight.
Altering your lifestyle also plays a similar role as a proper and healthy diet directly affects your weight loss process. Following the procedure, you can quickly grasp a healthy physical and mental well-being. This process of treatment accompanied by consumption of good food and appropriate exercises can cure the problem of excess weight gain effectively.