When it comes to losing weight, yoga never got the credibility which it deserved in the past. Have you ever wondered why? Did you ever think about the flip side of this coin? Well, no is the obvious answer, isn’t it?
You will be amazed to know that yoga(1) is gaining such immense popularity that its followers increased by over 50% in just four years from 2012 to 2016 impacting approximately 36 million people. Such is the power of yoga. And with rising obesity and fitness concerns, power yoga for weight loss has emerged as a potent tool amidst the numerous weight loss regimes.
Power yoga is also known as ‘Gym yoga’(2) and is immensely beneficial for losing the extra pounds in a short period. With a sudden increase in yoga practitioners and yoga centers across the globe, the accessibility of yoga has increased manifolds.
But if you want to practice it on your own, then this read will be of great help to you. Read and learn the incredible poses and the miraculous benefits of power yoga regime for weight loss.
What is Power Yoga and Can it Help You in Weight Loss?
The term power yoga focuses on a fitness-oriented vinyasa practice. Getting its origin from Ashtanga yoga, power yoga is full of excellent qualities and benefits including increasing stamina, strength, flexibility, and reducing stress.
Beryl Bender Birch coined the concept of Power Yoga. In today’s time, it includes several vigorous vinyasa style yoga poses.
Power Yoga is your best friend and can help you shed those extra kilos of yours with some fantastic yoga poses. It involves cardiovascular workout, and so it can be your perfect partner in getting that amazing body.
Read on this article on power yoga for weight reduction to have a better understanding of what magic power yoga can bestow upon your body.
[Also Read: Lose Weight Naturally]
How Does Power Yoga Work for Achieving Weight Loss?
Nowadays, power yoga has become synonymous to weight loss. The entire process of power yoga for weight loss management focuses on burning body fats. Power yoga implies the concept of Ashtanga yoga which is a mixture of breath and vigorous and advanced yoga postures. While practicing these yoga poses, intense heat generates in the body which comes out as sweat.
Sweating not just indicates fat burning but it also signifies detoxification of the body. Your sweat also dissolves the excessive cholesterol which is the main reason for the accumulation of body fat. This process helps to make the body slim. Power yoga poses for weight shedding improves the synchronization of mind and body which keeps you stress-free and calm.
What Are the Incredible Benefits of Practicing Power Yoga?
Your incredible companion-power yoga for weight loss regime bestows multiple benefits and they are:
- Power yoga helps in sweating which ensures fat burning.
- One can increase body flexibility with the help of power yoga exercises.
- It is an excellent cardio exercise.
- The rigorous fitness schedules will help you detoxify your body.
- You can also achieve greater concentration, stability, and focus through power yoga.
- It also increases stamina and is a fantastic mood elevator too.
Seven Power Yoga Poses for Weight Loss That Can Help You Get Slim
A perfect fitness regime which comprises of power yoga postures for weight management is crucial for someone who wants to get rid of those extra kilos.
can you lose weight doing yoga? If this is the next question running on your mind, read on the below list to find out how to use them too. This article will give you all the ins and outs about seven incredible power yoga poses which will bring your body in shape naturally.
[Read: Yoga for Reduce Belly Fat]
1. Wind Releasing Pose or Pawanmuktasana
How to do it?
- Lie down straight on the ground on your back.
- Lift your right leg at an angle of 90-degrees.
- Now, bend the right knee and bring it close to your stomach.
- Apply pressure through your leg on your stomach.
- Hold your leg with your hand for a better grip and press it.
- Release the leg and repeat the same pose with the left leg.
[Read: Yoga for Digestion Problems]
2. Utkatasana or Chair Pose
How to do it?
- Stand straight in Tadasana.
- Breathe out and bend your knees. Move your hips backward assuming as if you are sitting on a chair.
- Bring your lower abdominal area in and up so that it supports your back.
- Breathe in and raise your arms as you soften the shoulders.
- Try to reach higher while you sit for five to eight breaths.
- Now, release the pose by straightening the legs and then bringing the arms down.
3. Bow Pose or Dhanurasana
How to do it?
- Lie down on your yoga mat with your stomach touching the ground.
- Keep your legs hip-width apart and hands on your sides.
- Gently, try to hold your ankles with hands by folding your knees and bringing them backward.
- Breathe in and lift your chest and legs from the ground
- Keep your gaze straight as you pull your legs back.
- Feel relaxed and take deep breaths for about fifteen seconds. Now breathe out and release the posture.
4. Garudasana or Eagle Pose
How to do it?
- Stand straight. Bend your right knee and wrap or twirl the left leg around your right leg.
- Place your hands to the shoulder height and spin your right hand around your left hand. Be sure that your elbows are having a bend of ninety degrees and are stacked.
- Now, gently bring down the hips in a straight line without bending on one side.
- Hold the pose for some seconds while you take deep breaths.
- Release the pose, relax, and repeat it again.
5. Bhujangasana or the Cobra Pose
How to do it?
- Lie down with your chest and stomach facing the ground.
- Place your hands at the shoulder level such that palms touch the ground.
- Now put your weight on your palms and breathe in.
- Raise your head and chest and bend your elbows.
- Now try to replicate the raised cobra hood by bringing your neck backward. At this point your shoulders are firm.
- Hold the asana for fifteen seconds.
- Now, release the pose by bringing the hands on to your sides. Rest your forehead on the floor.
- Place the hands under the head while resting on one side
6. Triangle Pose or Trikonasana
How to do it?
- Stand straight while keeping your legs apart at a convenient distance.
- Place your right foot at ninety degrees and left foot at fifteen degrees.
- Breathe in and breathe out. Bend to your right but keep your waist straight.
- Place your left hand in the air and your right hand down to the floor.
- Touch your ankle with your right hand. Turn your head to the left side and your gaze towards the left palm.
- Stretch to your maximum and take deep breaths. Breathe out and relax your body.
- Breathe in and release the pose. Repeat with the other side.
7. Raised Feet Pose or Uttanpadasana
How to do it?
- Lie down on your back and place your arms on your sides.
- Press your abdomen as you raise your legs together.
- Stretch your legs as they come perpendicular to your remaining body.
- Keep it at this position for two seconds as you tighten your abdomen.
Who Should Avoid Power Yoga for Weight Loss?
The people who should not opt for power yoga for losing weight include:
- Pregnant women.
- A person suffering from severe injuries.
- Someone who had a recent surgery.
- A person having a severe disease should strictly avoid practicing power yoga.
Power yoga is a comprehensive and detailed mechanism which fosters to bring wholesome goodness for your mind, body, and soul. Here, in this article, you came across the importance, the benefits, and the various poses and asanas of power yoga for weight loss treatment. Power yoga helps to bring your body in shape and health.
Having a slim body is a dream for many people, and they spend a hefty amount to achieve their dream bodies. You can conveniently opt for power yoga to get rid of extra pounds. So, get ready to immerse yourself in the fantastic world of power yoga to get a body which is healthy, fit, and attractive.