Cracked heels are a common problem that most of the people are facing these days. Cracked heels are also called as heel fissures that commonly cause dry skin(1).
The dry skin can make the condition more complicated when the skin around the rim of your heel is thick. In most cases, it is considered as a common problem, but it can be more painful when the cracks are deep and it may cause bleeding leading to complications.
Home & Natural Remedies for Cracked Heels
The natural remedies that cure heel bruise, cracked heels are similar which include the following:
1. Foot Mask
There are several different types of foot masks, that tend to impart quality and increase the suppleness of the skin. They also help in healing the cracked heels and restoring back to its previous glory.
To prepare this foot mask you need the following ingredients in respective quantity:
- Lemon juice
- Warm water
- Take a basin containing warm water and add raw salt to it and add 8-10 drops of lemon juice.
- To the same water add one tablespoon of glycerine and one teaspoon of rosewater. Soak your feet in the basin for 15-20 minutes.
- Using a pumice stone or a foot scrubber, scrub your heels and the sides of your feet to clear the dry skin.
- Take one teaspoon of glycerine and mix with one teaspoon of rosewater.
- Add one teaspoon of lemon juice to it mix all the ingredients thoroughly and apply this mixture on your cracked heels.
- Wear a pair of socks after applying this mixture and leave it overnight. Use lukewarm water in the morning to wash your feet.
Lemon juice is known for its acidic properties thus, it helps in healing the rough and dry skin and prevents cracking. Glycerine plays a major role in making your skin soft whereas, the rosewater has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that can naturally cure cracked heels.
[ Read: Natural Remedies for Cracked Heels ]
2. Banana and Avocado
To prepare this foot mask you need the following ingredients in respective quantity:
- One Ripe Banana
- Half Avocado
1. Take one ripe banana and blend it with half avocado to form a fine paste.
2. Apply this creamy paste over your feet and keep it for 15-20 minutes and then use lukewarm water to wash your feet.
3. You can make use of this remedy every day till your heels become soft and the cracks are healed.
Avocado is rich in essential oils, fats, and vitamins that can repair your dry cracked skin. Banana is usually used as a moisturizer that makes your skin softer and smoother and eventually cures cracked heels.
3. Vegetable Oil
Vegetable oil(2) is an essential remedy to cure cracked heels. It is the best cure for cracked heels. The fats present in the vegetable oil can nourish your skin well and heal the cracked parts of your feet.
1. Before applying vegetable oil, wash your feet completely and dry them up by using a clean towel.
2. Apply a layer of vegetable oil on the cracked portion of your feet.
3. Wear a pair of socks and leave it overnight. Wash your feet using lukewarm water in the morning for perfect heels.
[ Read: Home Remedies to Heal Cracked Heels ]
4. Lemon Juice and Vaseline
Lemon juice and vaseline is the perfect home remedy to treat cracked heels.
1. Before using this remedy, soak your feet in warm water for 15-20 minutes and then pat dry your skin.
2. Take one teaspoon of Vaseline and mix it will a few drops of lemon juice. Rub this mixture over your heels till it gets absorbed in your skin.
3. Wear a pair of socks after applying this mixture and keep it overnight.
4. Wash your feet in the morning with lukewarm water. Wearing woolen socks helps in trapping the body’s heat and increase the effectiveness of this mixture in healing your cracked heels.
5. Paraffin Wax
Paraffin wax is generally considered as a natural emollient that can soften your skin. This home remedy is generally not preferred for diabetic patients.
1. Mix one tablespoon of paraffin wax and mix it with 2-3 drops of mustard or coconut oil.
2. Put this mixture and heat it in a pan till the wax completely melts.
3. Allow this mixture to cool down at room temperature and then apply it on your feet.
4. For better results, you can apply this paste before going to bed. Wear socks and keep them overnight.
5. Wash your feet in the morning with lukewarm water to cure cracked heels.
Honey is generally considered as a natural antiseptic that can help in healing your cracked feet. The soothing property of honey can soothe and revitalize your skin.
- 1. Take one cup and honey and add it to half a bucket of warm water.
- Soak your feet in this mixture for 15-20 minutes. Use pumice stone or foot scrubber to obtain a soft and supple foot.
[ Read: Pain in the Ball of the Foot ]
7. Rice Flour
Rice flour is an effectual cure for cracked heels.
1. Mix 2-3 tablespoon of ground rice and mix it with one teaspoon of honey.
2. To this mixture add 3-4 drops of apple cider vinegar to form a thick paste.
3. You can also add olive oil or almond oil to this mixture in case of extremely dry skin.
4. Soak your feet in warm water for 10-15 minutes and gently scrub this paste on your feet to remove dead skin from your feet.
5. You can use this remedy twice a week for better results.
8. Olive oil
Olive oil is the best cure for cracked heels. Olive oil can nourish your skin and makes your skin soft and supple. It is one of the natural ways to make your feet soft and smooth.
1. Use a cotton ball or a clean cloth to gently massage olive oil on your feet in a circular motion.
2. Massage your feet for 10-15 minutes and wear a pair of socks.
3. Leave the oil on your feet for one hour and wash your feet with lukewarm water.
Oatmeal is a powerful breakfast, however, it also doubles up as an abrasive agent that helps deal with cracked heels.
1. Take one tablespoon of powdered oatmeal and mix it with olive oil to form a thick paste.
2. Apply this paste over your feet and cover the cracked parts of your feet with the mixture.
3. Leave it for an hour and rinse your feet with cold water and pat dry your skin.
4. Use this remedy alternate day to naturally cure cracked heels.
[ Read: Oatmeal Formulas With Benefits ]
10. Sesame oil
For curing cracked heels, you can also use sesame oil. Sesame oil plays an important role in nourishing and moisturizing your feet and can cure cracked heels effectively.
1. Apply sesame oil on the cracked parts of your feet and massage it well, till the oil is absorbed in your skin.
2. You can use this remedy before going to bed for better results.
11. Coconut oil
Coconut oil is an ancient remedy used for curing cracked heels.
1. Take two tablespoons of coconut oil and apply it on your feet by covering the cracked portion of your feet.
2. Wear socks and leave them overnight and wash your feet in the morning with lukewarm water.
[ Read: Benefits of Coconut Oil ]
Listerine, generically referred to as mouthwash has chemical agents that help in dealing with cracked heels.
1. Take one cup of Listerine and add one cup of white vinegar to it and mix in two cups of water.
2. Put this mixture in the basin with warm water and soak your feet for 10-15 minutes.
3. Use foot scrubber or pumice stone to remove the dead skin from your feet.
4. Use clean water to rinse your feet and moisturize your skin for better results.
5. Continue this remedy for 3-4 days till the dead skin wears off completely and the cracks are healed.
13. Baking Soda
Baking soda is generally considered as an exfoliant that helps in removing the dead cells and also helps in soothing your skin. Baking soda is the most commonly used remedy to cure cracked heels naturally as it also has anti-inflammatory properties.
1. Take 2-3 tablespoons of baking soda and add it to warm water. Mix well so that the baking soda is completely dissolved in the water.
2. Soak your feet in this solution for 10-15 minutes. Scrub your feet gently with a scrubber or pumice stone and rinse with clean water.
3. You can use this remedy twice a week to cure cracked heels.
14. Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is an effectual cure for cracked heels. This solution happens to not only clear the cracked heels but also help with bacterial cleansing of the feet.
1. Take one cup of apple cider vinegar and add it to the basin containing water.
2. Soak your feet in the water for about 10-15 minutes and then scrub your feet to remove the dead skin cells.
3. In case of deep cracks, you can use this remedy either alternate days or daily till the dead cells are removed completely.
15. Epsom salt
Epsom salt can soften your skin and can help heal the skin on the feet.
- Mix a half a cup of Epsom salt in a basin containing water.
- Soak your feet for 10-15 minutes in it. Scrub your feet to remove the dead skin.
Cracked heels can be cured effectively with the above-mentioned home remedies. Cure your cracked heels as it can increase the risk of infection in case of deep cracks.
1. How can I soften my cracked heels overnight?
Following the above-mentioned remedies and sticking to a healthy lifestyle such as exercising and a healthy diet would go a long way in treating your cracked heels.
2. Are cracked heels dangerous?
They are defined as an aesthetic error in the feet, although they don’t bear much significance, they could be cumbersome and could sometimes cause pain.