According to a report published in 2018, WHO stated that more than 300+ million people suffer from depression. So you can understand that this is a widespread disorder. Depression can seriously affect a person’s mental and physical health by significant margins.
Depression can cause temporary to permanent changes to a person’s life. Sad and anxious mood, drop in energy levels, irritability, etc. are symptoms of being depressed. In more serious depression cases, individuals even develop suicidal thoughts and tendencies.
More than 15% of the population is affected by depression at least once in their lifetime. Yes, there are various medicines to treat depression. But wouldn’t you like a more natural way to resolve the problem? The music is exactly what you need. Music for depression is a brilliant remedy to help you recover from serious anxiety and depression.
A good music session or therapy can do wonders in controlling depression. Many individuals also experienced a permanent cure from depression with the help of music. Today, we are going to talk about how music can help you.
Did you know?
- The word Music was derived from the term “Muses” which is the name for the Greek Goddess of Art. So you can understand why music is so powerful!.
- In South Korea, scientists have found that plants grow faster than normal when they listen to music.
- Songs that get stuck to your mind are known as “earworms”. The only way to get rid of them is by sticking another song in place of it.
- At the University of Leicester, research showed that cows can produce milk 3% faster than normal when listening to music.
[Also Read: Cure Depression with Natural Remedies]
Why Music Is Effective for Depression?
Music for depression is one of the best natural ways to overcome it. Music addresses the physical, social and emotional needs of the individual. This allows them to express themselves without any verbal communication. The mix of harmony, rhythm, beats and melody stimulates the person’s mind in a brilliant way.
This effect results in calmness in the mind, smoother heartbeat, shatter the negative thought cycle of the brain, etc. Therefore, you are bound to feel more composed and positive than before. Music is one of the best remedies for insomnia. 85% of people suffering from depression are diagnosed with insomnia.
But listening to music before going to bed can cure it and provide the person with good sleep. Ample sleep and rest allowes the brain to relax and thus combat depression. Listening to your favorite music can also boost the level of dopamine.
This dopamine influences the action of your brain and rejuvenates it to think positive. Music is an aesthetic experience and thus, you will be able to come out of the shackles of depression.
If you search the Internet, you will come across more than 50+ genre of music prevailing in our time. Every genre has it’s own separate fan base. You must be wondering which genre of music will help you combat depression, right? Then you must know that there is no particular genre that will help you more or less.
Usually, when people are depressed they should listen to their favorite songs or something that cheers them up. A favorite song resonates more than any other song and therefore helps you in a better manner.
However, some people are of the belief that you should avoid listening to sad and emotional songs when depressed. Music for depression can be those with cheerful beats, motivational lyrics, mind-blowing melody, etc. Keep discovering a new genre of music and you will find that you are slowly getting rid of the depressive thoughts.
[Also Read: Alternative Treatments for Depressions]
Benefits of Listening to Music
Here are some of the most amazing benefits that you can enjoy by listening to music. Have a look at them.
- Increased happiness – Music increases happiness by significant levels. It helps to boost the production of dopamine and therefore you feel more happy and positive.
- Breaks negative thought cycle – Listening to good music throughout the day will put a stop to the negative thought cycle. It will infuse positive feelings and make you feel confident.
- Cures insomnia – When you listen to music an hour before going to bed, you will experience much better sleep. Music helps people to recover from insomnia which is a common symptom for depression.
- Elevates your mood – Music helps to elevate your mood by a significant extent and makes you feel euphoric. This promotes a positive attitude and increases your confidence.
- Reduce stress – Not only listening to music but playing a musical instrument helps you a lot. Those who play an instrument have much fewer chances of getting affected with depression.
Music for depression seems to be an effective way to treat depression naturally. You can read more about it or consult with your doctor. Music is the key that will surely help you combat the depressive thoughts that your mind is currently experiencing.
Here are some frequently asked questions –
1. Can Music Help to Overcome Depression?
Ans. If not fully, music can surely support your overall attempt to get rid of depression. In serious cases, only music will not be effective. But it surely plays an important role in keeping the mind calm and composed. It helps to infuse positive feelings and confidence.
2. Which Music Is Good for Depression?
Ans. Any song that you like can be good for depression. However, you can avoid listening to sad and emotional songs when depressed.
3. How Long Do You Need to Listen to Music?
Ans. There is not a fixed amount of time that you need to dedicate throughout the day. You can listen to music whenever you feel like. However, at least 20-25 minutes of music every day will surely help you.
4. How Does Music Cure Depression?
Ans. Music helps your mind to cultivate positive thoughts. It promotes the release of dopamine that increases the pleasure and confidence in the brain and breaching the negative thought cycle. Music also helps you to calm your mind and soul.