Keto surely is the new fad! Everyone around you must be going for it and so do you? No worries there but, Keto diet is a major lifestyle decision. It takes a tremendous amount of determination and plucks to adhere to it. It happens, everyone makes mistakes and you can fall prey to keto diet mistakes too.
From obsessing over the weighing scales to straying to unhealthy eating habits, the keto diet mistakes can badly affect your progress. We will run you through all the mistakes people make so that you are prepared for your Keto Journey.
- The keto diet turns the body into a powerhouse of burning fat and losing body weight
- Choose your fats more wisely and make sure that you stay away from unhealthy fats and processed junk.
- A proper keto diet is low in proteins and high in fats and contains zero or minimal carbs
- The objective of the keto diet is to transform the metabolic state of the body
- The keto diet works wonders for the weight loss regimen.
10 Common Keto Mistakes You Are Making
Here are a handful of keto diet mistakes that almost everyone makes:
1. Going Nuts Over the Weighing Machine
- The loss of 4lbs within just a week of following the keto diet(1) is pretty exciting and encouraging too. But the expectation of shedding 4 lbs every week and sporting a figure like Audrey Hepburn within a month is nothing but wild and hopeless imagination.
- Please do not let the success stories of the keto diet get under your skin. They may be rage over the internet, but the scale of progress in weight loss and fat burning happens differently for everyone.
- Fact is that everybody responds to the diet in different and unique ways. While for some, the weight loss is rapid and almost effortless, for many, the process takes a mountain of patience and perseverance, not to mention a whole lot of time.
- However, if there is one thing that you can rejoice about, it is the waist circumference. It is bound to decrease by an inch or more.
- So, weight loss is not the only way to measure the success of the keto diet. Keep measuring the inches of your waist (don’t obsess over it though) and don’t forget to share your success story; however tough the keto diet journey is for you.
2. Choosing the Harmful Fats Over the Healthy Kind
- Let’s say it like novelist George Orwell would, that all fats are equal, but some are more equal. You might be at a loss if you haven’t skimmed through the ages of Animal Farm during your English classes, but let’s just cut to the chase, shall we? Fats are the essence and foundation of the keto diet. It is of important to choose the right kind of fats to stay healthy and ensure weight loss.
- Wondering what the harmful fats are? Processed and junk food represents an entire class of unhealthy fats. Avoid the oils of vegetables and seeds as they constitute one of the worst keto diet mistakes.
- There are hundreds of healthy fats to choose from. These fats consist of omega-3 fatty acids and are generally referred to as heart-friendly fats. Oily fish, olive oil, avocado, nuts, etc. belong to the family of healthy and keto-friendly fats.
- The consumption of these fats helps to decrease the level of cholesterol in the blood, generate physical energy, and protect the cardiovascular system as well.
[Read: Food Additives to Avoid]
3. The Randomness of Meal Plans or No Plans at All
- Randomness in eating food and irregular pattern of having meals are major keto diet mistakes and significant setbacks to the success of the keto diet.
- An irregular plan of meals leads to the deficiency of daily macros and eating between meals, which leads to overeating and utter ruin of the process of ketosis.
- Planning a meal requires time, effort, and preparation. It is not a stroll in the park but not rocket science either. All you have to do is jot down a week’s plan of meals.
4. Abstaining from Eating the Right Amount of Fats
- It becomes quite a struggle to eat the right amount of fats every day.
- However, it is essential to eat the right amount of healthy fats to generate energy and stay active and fit.
5. Consumption of Excessive Proteins
- Proteins are KEY in KETO. But did you know that the consumption of protein(2) foods in excess might be detrimental for your health?
- The underlying issue of the keto diet is that the body burns the healthy fats to produce fuel for physical energy, while protein works in the maintenance of muscle mass.
- So, with all said and done, you don’t need as much. But how much is enough? Always measure your intake.
6. On the Lookout for Shortcuts
- Keto diet is not something that you follow for a particular period to shed the extra pounds and then fall back into the same eating pattern. Then you will find yourself gaining body weight and fat all over again.
- Quick fixes and shortcuts are the worst keto diet mistakes because the health and beauty benefits of the ketogenic diet manifest only if you adhere to it for the rest of your life.
- If all you are looking for are quick fixes, then try cutting out sugar and processed food, focus on staying physically fit and active, and ditch tobacco and alcohol. For almost everyone, such measures will indeed lead to a healthy drop in body weight and also help to burn the excess fat.
7. Every Body Is Different
- The keto diet cannot guarantee precise and accurate results for everyone in the same way. So, comparing oneself against others is one of the worst keto diet mistakes.
- Shedding the excess pounds is an excellent benefit of the keto diet, but that certainly does not imply that if one individual loses 10lbs in about a week, then you too will have the same result. Keto diet does not work with such exact mathematical precision, but it works wonders for your body nonetheless.
- A variety of factors affect the success of following the keto diet for your body. Focus on what your body needs and hold on to the keto diet. The results will automatically follow.
8. Not Drinking the Right Amount of Water
- Basic biology will tell you that the body is powerless and useless without water. Adoption of the keto diet and lifestyles require the consumption of more and more water. Drinking the right amount of water is a significant adjustment for some individuals, but there is nothing to be done as the keto diet necessitates it.
- Carry a water bottle with you wherever you go. Make sure that the water bottle is of a particular volume so that you can keep track of the amount of water that you drink.
- Add a bit of freshly squeezed lemon juice to the water for flavor and additional health benefits. You can also drink water that is rich in supplementary electrolytes to replenish the level of electrolytes in the body.
[Read: Drinking Water At The Right Time]
9. Not Sleeping Enough
- If you are sleep deprived, then the keto diet will not work for you. Sleep is as essential as water when it comes to reaping the benefits of the keto diet.
- It is of utmost importance to give the body enough time to unwind and reset itself before taking on another day.
- Staying awake for long hours at night can also lead to guilty slips and midnight gorging on unhealthy and sugary snacks to quench the sudden spikes of hunger.
- So sleep well and eat healthy to enrich your body and mind with the benefits of the keto diet.
10. Back Yourself Up With Support System
- It is not easy to adopt a different lifestyle, and so having a couple of partners for a support system works wonders in sticking to the keto diet.
- Make sure that your family supports your dietary and lifestyle decisions, as that helps a lot.
To err is only human when it comes to the diet, so how about keeping a few incentives for you to keep going with the keto diet? Always keep a check on your mistakes. Start with something small and not related to food to keep you going. These little treats will keep you motivated and up your KETO game.