A bright smile accompanied by a beautiful personality sums up for an awesome date. But what if you have a not-so-good smell from your mouth? You will be in much trouble for sure!!!! Studies show that nearly fifty percent of adults have come across this horrible situation for at least once during their lifetime.
So you are not the only one in the world to have a bad breath problem. People who suffer from the issue of bad breath remain lost in their world. They avoid meeting people as they think that people will make fun of them and will not like to make them friends.
If you are among such people who are concerned about how to get rid of bad breath, then don’t worry!!!! This article will enrich you with some of the best natural treatments for bad breath.
Let’s first understand what bad breath is? A Bad Breath, also known as halitosis, is a condition in which an unpleasant odor comes from the mouth or teeth, as a result of poor dental habits. The situation can worsen by the impact of the type of foods you eat and by certain unhygienic lifestyle habits.
However bad breath is not a serious problem and can be cured easily with herbal home remedies, total negligence of the matter can get you in serious trouble.
How is your breath?
The best way to know if you have bad breath or not is to ask your best friend about it and expect an honest answer. If you are too embarrassed to ask them or you are still not convinced with their verdict, floss your teeth with odorless dental floss and sniff it for yourself. If the smell is unpleasant, be sure that people around you are also experiencing the same dirty smell.
If still confused, ask a dentist about it. He will not only give you a clear and correct answer but will also guide you if you have a lousy odor.
What causes bad breath?
Usually, we come across people who often ask that what causes bad breath even after brushing. To clear all such doubts, the article explains various causes of bad breath.
Bacteria present in the mouth break the food particles in and around your teeth and cause a foul smell. Certain foods like onion and garlic after digestion enter the bloodstream and reach the lungs which affect your breath resulting in an unpleasant odor.
Smoking has its own bad yet strong mouth odor. People who consume tobacco products or smoke cigarettes are prone to gum diseases which are the chief cause of bad breath.
Negligence of oral hygiene
If you don’t brush your teeth twice a day correctly, food particles get stuck into your teeth causing bad breath. It also leads to the formation of plaque, a major cause of tooth cavities.
Saliva cleans your mouth by removing particles that generate bad smell. Some people suffer from a strange disease called dry mouth in which the natural production of saliva by the salivary glands reduces which in turn results in bad breath.
Dry mouth is an adverse effect of certain medical drugs, causing bad breath. Some medicines break down in the body to release chemicals that travel in the bloodstream contributing to a foul odor.
Bad breath after tooth extraction due to surgical wounds, tooth decay, gum disease, cavity, and mouth sores, etc. are some of the potential infections which lead to bad odor.
Types of Bad Breath
Tonsillitis Bad Breath or Bad Breath from Throat
This situation concerns bad odor from tonsils which are present on each side of the back of your throat.
Sinus Bad Breath
Sinusitis is the inflammation of the nasal sinuses located around and behind the nose. Bad breath happens when there is a microbial build-up or growth in your sinuses.
Post-nasal Drip Bad Breath
Bad breath due to post-nasal drip occurs when the respiratory system fails to make mucus which protects the body from infections.
Bad Breath from Stomach
Only in rare cases, bad breath is a signal that somewhere there is a severe problem in your body. Stomach cancer shows bad breath as one of its symptoms.
Do cavities cause bad breath?
Unfortunately, cavities do cause bad breath. Chronic bad breath or constant bad breath are some of the results of cavity build-up in the mouth. It is better to meet a doctor if you have a cavity for quite a long period so that proper medication can be given to provide you with relief from all the oral problems.
How to Get Rid of Bad Breath with the Help of Amazing Natural Remedies?
If you are always in search of an answer of a universal question, “What to do for bad breath,” then this article will describe some of the best natural remedies to cure bad breath.
1. How to get rid of bad breath with six Foods?
Raw vegetables and fruits
Crisp vegetables which can be consumed directly without cooking like celery along with fruits like apples, pears, etc. are a perfect fit for how to get rid of bad breath. They foster oral health in two ways- first, they enhance saliva production which helps to wipe-out the odor-producing bacteria, and secondly, their crunch acts like a rough scrubber on the teeth, helping remove food particles that get stuck inside.
Yogurt with Probiotics
Yogurt enriched with probiotics is full of good bacteria. Good bacteria lower the concentration of sulfite compounds in the mouth which are the primary cause of bad odor.
Parsley and basil
These herbs are rich in antioxidants, thus help in breaking sulfur compounds present in the mouth. Combine them in your daily diet and get rid of bad breathing.
Dip a few leaves of fresh parsley in a vinegar solution. Chew these leaves for a minute or two. Repeat it as often as you want to experience fresh breath.
These beautiful and tasty fruits can help you get rid of the unpleasant smell of methyl mercaptan. This molecule is a cause of bad breath in your mouth.
Melon eating is beneficial for you, but not for the mouth bacteria. Melon contains high levels of Vitamin C which restricts the growth of bacteria, resulting in a reduced bad breath.
Ginger helps to neutralize bad breath. You can consume ginger by grating it in your cup of tea or slice it into small pieces to add to the curry.
2. How to prevent bad breath using three rich herbs?
These exotic herbs when used individually or in combination with each other, help to cleanse your mouth as well as freshen up your breath.
Herbs for how to get rid of bad breath include:
Very often you have noticed that a majority of toothpaste contain peppermint as one of their prime ingredients. It is indeed not by coincidence. Peppermint is crucial for giving your mouth a thorough cleansing and refreshing feeling and breath.
How to use:
- Add a full teaspoon of fresh, dried peppermint leaves to a cup of boiling water. After a few minutes, strain the mixture and drink
- If you don’t like it without sweetness, then add a few drops of lemon to enhance the flavor
Drinking myrrh solution mixed with water helps to prevent bad breath. You can prepare the drink by following the given procedure.
How to use:
- Add a small teaspoon of myrrh in two cups of boiling water
- Keep it on flame for a few minutes. Then strain it and enjoy its taste
Clover has rich oils which make aids the herb from fighting bad odor. With its anti-microbial and antiseptic properties, clover is one of the best remedies to a bad breath mouth.
How to use?
- Add four clover leaves to two cups of boiling water. Allow it to simmer for around twenty minutes before straining it
- You can drink this as a tea, or you can use it as mouthwash also
3. How to get rid of bad breath with the use of Essential Oils?
Essential Oils are natural and have positive effects on the body for treating various diseases. Some of the essential oils which prove a miracle for how to get rid of bad breath include:
Lemon essential oil for bad breath provides a refreshed and clean feel to the mouth. It also serves as a natural teeth whitener. But beware before using it as only a few drops of lemon oil can wear down the hardest part of the human body, the enamel.
Spear Mint Essential Oil
Spear Mint essential oil is a favorite ingredient of toothpaste and oral care products owing to its refreshing scent and overpowering taste. This oil has several benefits including elimination of bad odor.
Cinnamon Essential Oil
With its fascinating spicy aroma and taste, cinnamon essential oil eliminates bad breath and strengthens gums. It also helps to provide relief from pain as it has a numbing effect on the tooth.
Rinsing or applying eucalyptus essential oil has cooling and cleansing properties which makes it ideal for removing any bad odor from the mouth. It also fights cavity build-up and removes plaque.
Clove Essential Oil
Clove works magically in giving relief from tooth pain. It kills harmful bacteria in the mouth and also solves various gum issues. Clove oil neutralizes bad breath and fills the mouth with a sweet taste which is very endearing.
Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary essential oil has powerful antimicrobial effects which help in masking unpleasant odor. It also fights off harmful bacteria from the mouth, leaving a refreshing feel in the mouth. For those who have constant food cravings, use of this oil will help them by reducing their appetite.
Wintergreen Essential Oil
Wintergreen Essential Oil is less known oil, but it boasts of several features like the cleansing of mouth, destroying plaque accumulation, and giving a refreshed feeling to the one who uses it is excellent for how to get rid of bad breath.
How to use:
Essential oils as a Potion
- Seven drops of peppermint oil
- Five drops of tea tree oil
- Three drops of lavender oil
- Two drops of clove oil
- One small amber glass dropper
- Add all the oils to the glass bottle
- Shake well so that oils get appropriately mixed
- Put 1-3 drops of the mixture on your tongue and hold it till saliva collects in your mouth
- After swishing for a minute spit it out and rinse with cold water
Essential oils as the best mouthwash for bad breath
- Two tbsp. of xylitol
- Four drops of peppermint oil
- Two drops of wintergreen oil
- One tbsp. baking soda
- One cup distilled water
- One amber bottle
- Add all the ingredients to the amber glass bottle
- Mix well
- Use this solution as mouthwash for as many times you feel a need to do so
Essential oils as a Mouth Spray
- five drops of peppermint oil
- two drops of tea tree oil
- one cup of filtered water
- One spray bottle
- Add all the oils to the spray bottle
- In the end, add the filtered water
- Shake well
- Spray this in your mouth as many times as you want
- When using toothpaste made of essential oils be sure that it should not enter the body from the mouth, but should be rinsed off properly after brushing
- Dilute essential oils with a carrier oil before use
- Before applying oils on your face apply the oil on a small portion of your inner elbow
- Use only the recommended amount of essential oil on the body to avoid burning or allergic effects on the body
- Pregnant women must consult a professional doctor before using these oils on their body parts
- If an essential oil gets into your eye, don’t rinse it with water. Use a carrier oil to draw the oil out
4. How to get rid of bad breath causing bacteria with these natural Home Made Remedies?
- Drink plenty of water for how to get rid of bad breath
- Remove dentures at night and rinse your mouth with cold water to get rid of bacterial build-up
- Brush twice a day
- Change your toothbrush after every two or three months
- Go for regular checkups to a dentist
- Use a tongue scraper to clean the tongue from bacteria and dead cells
- Rinse your mouth with a solution of water and apple cider vinegar
- Drink green tea to reduce bad odor
Precautions and Side effects of Bad Breath
- Don’t share your items like toothbrush and scrapper with any other person
- Bad breath in kids is a common problem which reduces by teaching them about the importance of oral hygiene at an early age
- Be sure that you are using the best toothpaste for bad breath which contains natural ingredients
- Rely on home remedies instead of chemicals to treat bad odor
- While using any of the herbs or oils, you feel an itching sensation or redness of the skin, immediately stop its use
- If you are suffering from a chronic bad breath problem, then do visit a doctor as soon as possible
Yes, bad breath can be a huge problem, but with these natural and home remedies on how to get rid of bad breath, you can treat it easily. You don’t have to feel embarrassed in front of anyone. Speak as much as you want as now nothing can stop you. Avoid foods which increase the cause of bad breath and add essential oils and home and natural treatments in your day to day routine to avoid bad breath. You can also use the herbs to prevent bad breath. Hope all your requirements regarding how to get rid of bad breath met here.