We all love the gooey, melting cheese over a hot pizza or a perfectly grilled sandwich and opt for wine and cheese, right? But what is the healthiest cheese available?
Cheese is a staple in most parts of the world, mainly because its dense in nutrients. It contains Vitamin D, Vitamin A along with B complex vitamins, phosphorus, calcium, zinc, potassium, and protein. The fermented cheese is loaded with gut-friendly bacteria, which helps to treat various stomach disorders and boosts the body’s immunity.
Facts About Cheese
Different types of cheese which are considered healthiest
1. Mozzarella cheese
One of the healthiest cheese to eat is Mozarella cheese. Having its origin in Italy, it has now become a global product. The authentic mozzarella is made out of buffalo milk, although cow milk is often used as a substitute in many countries.
One hundred gms of mozzarella cheese contains
|Saturated Fat||13.2 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||6.6 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.8 g|
- Strains of Lactobacillus casel and Lactobacillus fermentum(1) are found in the cheese that acts as probiotics. It improves gut health and reduces inflammation in the body.
- As it is a storehouse of probiotics consuming, this boosts immunity and fights infection on the body.
2. Blue Cheese
It gets its name due to the blue color of cultures of penicillium that is added to the cheese while preparing it. You can add it to sandwiches, pasta, and salads.
For every 1 ounce of blue cheese
|Vitamin A||6 % of DV|
|Vitamin B5||10 % of DV|
|Vitamin B 12||14% of DV|
|Calcium||15 % of DV|
|Sodium||22 % of DV|
|Phosphorus||16 % of DV|
- It is made up of gut-friendly bacteria that improve the digestive system.
- It is also enriched with vitamins and essential minerals.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties that work in acidic environments like the gut.
[Read: Magical Cottage Cheese Benefits]
3. Feta Cheese
It is prepared using goat or sheep milk and has a tangy taste to it. It has multiple uses in the kitchen, but the benefits(2) on the body make it very famous.
Every 1 ounce of Feta Cheese contain
|Vitamin A||2 % of DV|
|Riboflavin||14 % of DV|
|Vitamin B 12||8 % of DV|
|Calcium||14 % of DV|
- As it is rich in Vitamin C, it boosts immunity and prevents common cold, flu, and viral infections.
- Vitamin D and Calcium helps to maintain healthy bones and promote anti-cancer properties.
4. Cottage Cheese
Made out of curdled cows milk, the healthiest cottage cheese can easily be prepared at home. Grate and add as fillings in sandwiches, parathas, sprinkled over pizzas, and pasta.
One ounce of cottage cheese contains
|Vitamin A||1 % of DV|
|Selenium||4 % of DV|
- It is one of the healthiest cheese for weight loss.
- It promotes bone health and boosts protein, calcium, and nutrient intake.
- It contains lesser amounts of sodium compared to other cheese.
A study in 2014 by BMJ stated that out of 214 kinds of cheese, cottage cheese had the least amount of sodium.
Made from goat, sheep, cow, or buffalo milk and is mostly made of whey protein. It is known as a softer version of cottage cheese due to its creamy texture.
½ cup serving of ricotta contains
|Calcium||20 % of the RDI|
- It is made up of milk protein that has all the necessary amino acids that you would require from food.
- It promotes muscle growth, balances cholesterol levels, and prevents hypertension.
6. Swiss Cheese
If you’re looking for a semi-hard texture of cheese, then the Swiss Cheese is a great option.
One ounce of swiss cheese contains
|Carbs||Less than 1 gm|
|Calcium||25 % of the RDI|
- It has less salt content so favorable for people with high blood pressure.
- It contains Vitamin B 12 that helps in the cell, muscle growth, and improves nerve function.
[Read: Goat Cheese Benefits]
If you are cheese intolerant, you may experience
- Stomach Ache
The Bottom Line
Cheese is the best food topping you can find and has been maligned to be high in salt and fat. It is delicious, and keeps you full longer. Make the right choice amongst the healthiest cheese options available according to your health and add it to a meal, snack to make it more delicious and nutrient-dense. If taken in moderation, it is the perfect acceptable food for your favorite meals.
1. Does Cheese Clog Arteries?
The American diet lists cheese as an artery-clogging fat. Overeating may trigger this, but researchers say that 40 gms of cheese every day reduces the risk of strokes.
2. What Is the Least Fattening Cheese?
Swiss, Mozarella, and Feta are considered to have the least amounts of fat.