Goldenseal is an herb belonging to the buttercup family and is known to offer several health benefits. Goldseal also goes by the name of ground raspberry, orange root, jaundice root, and eye balm.
It originated in the forests situated in the east of the Mississippi River. Due to mining and overharvesting in that area, it has lost its prevalence in the wild. Goldenseal benefits include its medicinal powers that are known to treat many diseases like cancer, mouth sores, stomach issues, and mouth ailments.
Goldenseal’s active ingredients include:
- Isoquinoline alkaloids like berberine, canadine, and hydrastine.
- Goldenseal contains(1) these alkaloids -1.5-4% hydrastine, 0.5-6% berberine, and 2-3% berberastine.23
- The majority of actions of goldenseal have been connected to hydrastine and berberine.
The Goldenseal Health Benefits
- It is used to treat gonorrhea. Gonorrhea is a sexually transmitted disease that can be painful if not treated on time and can spread to the blood resulting in disseminated gonococcal infection.
- It can treat malaria and reduce the symptoms of high fever and shivering caused by the disease. It is caused due to a mosquito bite, but if not treated on time can be fatal.
- Goldenseal is useful in treating Pneumonia. Its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties help to clear inflammation in the lungs where pleural effusion might be present.
- This herb prevents eye infection and maintains proper eye health. Regular usage may avoid problems of cataract and macular degeneration caused by age.
- It is used to treat urinary disorders and other bladder related infections. Goldenseal for UTI is an alternative herbal remedy to antibiotics that are known to have side effects.
- It improves the functioning of joints and prevents the build-up of any fluid that can obstruct the flexibility in joints.
Goldenseal Benefits: Ways to Use it
1. Goldenseal Herb Mouthwash for Tooth Pain
You Will Need
- A Handful of Thyme, Sage, Calendula, and Goldenseal Herb
- Take a pan and boil two cups of water.
- Add a generous amount of the herbs to the boiled water and let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Pour this liquid in mason jars and allow it to cool.
- Add ten drops of peppermint and tea tree oil to it and stir well.
- Swish this liquid in your mouth thrice daily.
[Read: Get Rid of Tooth Decay]
2. Goldenseal Tea for Respiratory Problems
You Will Need
- Dried Goldenseal Leaves or Powdered Goldenseal Root
- 3 Cups Boiling Water
- Raw Honey and Lemon
- Boil 3 cups water in a pan and add 1 tsp leaves to a cup.
- Once the water boils for 5 minutes, pour it in the bowl with goldenseal leaves.
- Let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain and add honey and lemon to taste.
- Drink raw for best results.
3. Goldenseal Vitamin for Sinus
You Will Need
- ½ Tsp of the Golden Seal Tincture
- 1 Cup Saline Solution
- Neti Pot
- Add this solution to the Neti Pot.
- Follow the regular procedure of pouring water from one nostril and taking it out from the other one.
- Do this twice daily as it helps to clean your sinuses.
Precautions That You Must Take to Get Maximum Goldenseal Benefits.
- If taken in small and adequate doses, in forms of tea, capsules, and tinctures, it is mostly harmless.
- Certain diseases might restrict you from using this herb as it might trigger the condition.
- Some health experts believe that fresh and raw herbs could be poisonous and cause reactions and allergies like mouth and throat irritation, paralysis, burning in the skin, respiratory troubles, and can even cause death.
- Goldenseal is unsafe for pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers as this herb may make its way to breast milk and cross the placenta. It is completely unsafe for babies and children.
- Cases of brain damage in newborns that have been exposed to goldenseal have been reported for newborns.
Goldenseal is an anti-diabetic agent and is safe to use for not more than three weeks at a time. This herb is beneficial to treat several disorders and helps in boosting the overall immunity of your body. Adding some other herbs that boost immunity like echinacea(2), astragalus with goldenseal helps to improve chronic fatigue syndrome.
1. Is Goldenseal Considered an Antibiotic?
Goldenseal benefits are varied and span across by treating digestion, relieve symptoms of an upset stomach and killing harmful bacteria. It is considered to be a natural antibiotic when combined with echinacea as it strengthens the immune system.