Using essential oils for runny nose is a natural remedy that many people use to get rid of sinus congestion. Sinus infection includes various causes such as flu, allergies, and cold and sinus infections.
Essential oils have specific properties that help in opening up the nasal airways, thereby easing the sinus congestion and unblocking the stuffy nose. Eucalyptus and peppermint are two of the most widely known essential oils for cough and runny nose. In addition to that, essential oils are also helpful in reducing inflammation, relieving pain, and fighting bacteria.
What essential oils are good for runny nose? There are several essential oils present in the market that help fight a runny nose. The most widely known and used is the peppermint oil. Peppermint oil is beneficial because of its cooling effect and helps in clearing up the mucus(1).
Furthermore, eucalyptus oil is also used as a remedy to fight against congestion and sinusitis. This is the reason numerous products used to relieve cold or cough use eucalyptus oil. This oil helps in curing headaches and obstruction of nasal.
Besides, tea tree oil, oregano oil, clary sage, lavender oil, and rosemary oil are commonly used essential oils to fight a runny nose and ease nasal obstruction and congestion. At the same time, essential oils can provide complete aromatherapy for cough. Their strong aroma can clean the blockages instantly.
How to Use Essential Oils Effectively to Cure a Runny Nose?
A steam bath is an effective way of getting rid of a blocked or stuffy nose. The essential oils can be poured into a warm bath and inhaled. However, the most effective way of steam inhalation is discussed as follows:
- 10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- Ten drops of tea tree essential oil
- 10 drops of lavender essential oil
- Heat water and carefully pour all the water into a bowl
- Add all the mentioned essential oils into the water
- Also, wrap a towel around your head, this will make steam inhalation more effective
- Now cover your head and bowl with a thick sheet and inhale the steam for ten minutes
[Also Read: Natural Remedies for Runny Nose]
There are a few more ways in which essential oils can be inhaled.
- Drip a few drops of essential oil of your choice, on a piece of tissue paper, hold the tissue near to your face and gently inhale it
- Essential oil diffusers can also be used to diffuse the oil into the air. This method lets you inhale the essential oil continuously while doing other chores.
Balms also play a vital role in easing sinus congestion. This recipe helps you create your own homemade, natural balm that lets you fight a runny nose effectively. To make this soothing balm, the following ingredients are needed:
- Coconut or Jojoba oil 1 tablespoon
- Eucalyptus essential oil 8 drops
- Lavender essential oil 8 drops
- Peppermint essential oil 8 drops
Gather all these ingredients in a clean bowl. Mix them thoroughly and store them in a neat box. The balm is ready. This balm can be rubbed on the nose, chest, and back to ease congestion. You can also massage this on your nose and head and sleep, allowing it to work overnight.
The essential oils are efficient to get rid of a runny nose; however, while inhaling these oils, these essential oils should not touch the skin as it may irritate some people. Skin reactions are the adverse effects of essential oils; therefore, it is recommended to always take doctor’s advice before using such remedies(2). The best essential oil for runny nose may be the worst aggravating factor for another condition/ailment.
Essential oils are commonly known to soothe congestion and ease nasal obstruction. Several kinds of essential oils including eucalyptus, lavender, peppermint, oregano, etc. are available in the market that help a great deal in easing congestion and runny nose.
[Also Read: Home Remedies for Runny Nose]
1. What Essential Oils Are Good for Runny Nose?
Several essential oils are readily available that help soothe a runny nose. Eucalyptus oil, peppermint oil, tea tree oil, oregano oil, clary sage, lavender oil, and rosemary oil are all a few types of essential oils that help get rid of a runny nose.
2. How Can Essential Oils Be Used to Get Rid of a Runny Nose?
There are several ways you can adopt to get rid of a runny nose. Essential oils can be diffused in the air, directly inhaled or put in hot water for steam. It can also be used in a steam bath.
3. Can Essential Oils Irritate?
The adverse effects of eucalyptus oil are skin allergies. These skin allergies include hypersensitivity of the skin and skin irritation.