Do you suffer from pain or irritation in the anal region? Does bleeding accompany it during the bowel movement? If yes, then you might be suffering from hemorrhoids more commonly known as piles. A hemorrhoid is a condition wherein the veins in your lower rectum and the anal region swell. It is a common condition with nearly about every three of the four adults suffering from it. If you are looking for an effective way to ease these daunting symptoms, then nothing works better than Epsom salt for Hemorrhoids.
Why use Epsom salt for Hemorrhoids?
Experts claim that Epsom salt has therapeutic properties which makes it highly beneficial for treating numerous conditions including hemorrhoids. Here we discuss why should you use Epsom salt for hemorrhoids.
1. Epsom salt can help treat constipation
Excessive pressure on the anal region leads to the development of clumps in the area. Epsom salt is known to contain magnesium which is effective in easing bowel movement. Magnesium in your body draws water in your colon which is helpful in regulating your bowel movement and minimizing pressure on the lower rectum and the anal region.
2. Epsom salt can soothe the skin
Hemorrhoids lead to itching and irritation around the anal region. Ease the symptoms by taking Epsom salt bath. Soaking in Epsom salt bath is known to have a soothing effect on your skin that reduces skin irritation and itchiness.
3. Epsom Salt can reduce pain and swelling
Some experts claim that Epsom salt can be helpful in reducing pain and swelling. Thus, it can be effectively used to alleviate the pain and discomfort caused due to the development of blood clots around the anal region.
How to use Epsom Salt for hemorrhoids?
Epsom salt or Magnesium Sulfate can be quite helpful in treating hemorrhoids. Studies say that soaking in Epsom salt bath can relieve you from the discomfort caused due to the condition. Read below to know how you can use Epsom Salt for hemorrhoids.
- Fill a bathtub with warm water. The level of water in the tub should be six inches.
- Add a cup of Epsom salt in the bathwater
- Mix the water so that the salt dissolves
- Soak in the bathtub for about 15 to 20 minutes
- After that allow the rectal region to dry. You can use a hair dryer to dry out the area quickly. Do not keep the region moist as it will increase the irritation. Also, you must not rub the region with a towel.
Alternatively, you can use a sitz bath, a basin that fits over the toilet seat to soak your anal region in Epsom salt bath. However, in a sitz bath, you must add only one-fourth cup of Epsom salt.
Benefits of using Epsom salt Bath
Soaking in the Epsom salt bath every day for some time is known to ease the irritation, pain, and discomfort caused due to hemorrhoids.
Word of Caution
Epsom salt for hemorrhoids works great in relieving you from the discomfort caused due to it. It is also excellent for rejuvenating your skin and body. However, if you thought that everything about the salt is good with nothing to worry, then you are probably wrong. Like every other thing, Epsom salt also has its share of side-effects. Excessive use of Epsom salt can be bad for you. Below mentioned are the ways in which it can harm you.
- Prolonged exposure to Epsom salt may lead to magnesium toxicity which may result in low blood pressure, flushed skin and low heartbeat.
- Excessive exposure to magnesium may also cause drowsiness, nausea, and vomiting.
- Soaking in Epsom salt bath for long may dehydrate your skin, worsening skin irritation.
- The laxative effect of magnesium sulfate may also lead to diarrhea if you soak in the bath for long.
- People allergic to sulfur may have sensitivity from Epsom salt too. As such they may experience symptoms like skin irritation.
- Epsom salt is known to interact with certain heart medications and antibiotics.
Hemorrhoids are a painful condition. However, you can treat them quickly by using some simple home remedies. Epsom salt for hemorrhoids is the best way to ease the symptoms of the condition. Along with it, you must make some lifestyle and dietary changes to prevent its recurrence.
Excessive pressure on the lower rectum while passing the stool is one of the primary reasons for developing hemorrhoids; hence you must include foods that are helpful in regulating your bowel movement. Eat foods high in fiber and take in a lot of water. It helps in easy passage of stool. Also, you must exercise regularly to maintain a healthy weight and prevent the condition.