Cucumbers are the most commonly preferred vegetable in salads and as sides due to their low calories and the right amount of water and soluble fiber. It thus is a perfect vegetable to promote hydration, digestion, and also weight-loss. Cucumber also contains healthy nutrients that help in rejuvenating the skin. But, we often see in movies, tv, and social media where people use and recommend cucumber facemask for the skin. Why? Because it can exhibit excellent benefits when eaten orally or applied externally.
Cucumber Benefits for Skin
The highly nutritious compounds in cucumber exhibit properties that both directly and indirectly benefit the skin. Besides, cucumber is a natural product that gives out excellent results with minimal to no side effects at all compared to other chemical products. Cucumber face mask benefits the skin in various ways and below listed are a few:
1. Reduces Skin Breakouts
Oily skin and dead skin cells trigger acne breakouts by clogging the pores. The mildly astringent property of cucumber can cleanse and tighten the pores, which in turn reduces breakouts.
2. Reduces Dark Circles
Placing sliced cucumbers on eyes is one of the most commonly recommended methods to treat dark circles or puffy eyes. It does so by exhibiting cooling and antioxidant properties which helps in rejuvenating the skin. Besides, it can also reduce water retention, which can also, in turn, minimize puffiness or bags under the eyes.
3. Treats Sunburn
Cucumbers contain antioxidants and analgesic properties, which help in relieving the pain and also redness of the skin after the sunburn. Besides, the cooling nature of it also calms the skin.
Cucumber is known to reduce wrinkles, lines, and improve skin texture, which in turn reduces the signs of aging on the skin.
5. Soothe Skin Irritation
Vitamins A & C, potassium, magnesium, silica, and water in cucumbers can help the skin maintain hydration and reduce irritation.
Overall Benefits of Cucumber on Skin
Below listed are some of the nutrients present in cumber and how they benefit the skin when applied on the surface or taken orally.
- Cucumber is rich in vitamin C, a natural antioxidant. It also enriches the skin by promoting collagen growth, tightening & brightening the skin. The natural properties of it can help in reducing or preventing wrinkles, sagging, and hyperpigmentation of the skin(1).
- Quercetin in cucumber is also known to soothe redness, irritation, acne, and even help the skin in healing scars.
- Vitamin A in cucumber also exhibits excellent antioxidant and anti-aging properties. It helps improve collagen, reduce lines and wrinkles, fight acne, heal wounds, and enrich overall skin health.
- Vitamin B-1, another excellent nutrient in cucumbers, can help in the regeneration of collagen, strengthening, and keeping the skin supple.
- Vitamin B- 5 in it can help retain moisture, promote healing, and repair the skin.
- Vitamin B-12 in it can reduce inflammation, redness, dryness, acne, dark age spots, and even in promoting skin tone.
- Vitamin K in cucumber can promote the healing of bruises and wounds.
- It is one of the best natural hydrating sources, which helps keep the skin supple, moist, and firm.
- Cucumber is also known to contain an enzyme that helps in regulating skin elasticity, tightening skin pores, promoting cell renewal, and collagen buildup.
- It can regulate melanin production, which in turn can improve skin texture and skin tone.
- Magnesium in cucumbers can promote skin elasticity and retain skin moisture.
- Potassium in cucumbers is another mineral that can help in hydrating the skin and balancing the electrolytes.
- Copper can promote the production of collagen.
- Manganese can help in healing wounds, reducing inflammation, and even improving the absorption of vitamins.
How to Use Cucumber for Skin Health:
Cucumber benefits on the skin can be experienced when applied or even taken orally. Below listed are some of the ways to use it.
1. Cucumber, Yogurt, & Honey Face Mask
Cucumber and yogurt face mask is an ideal way to cool, soothe, and refresh the skin. The exfoliating and skin rejuvenating properties of yogurt are an added advantage. Antibacterial and antiseptic properties of honey can help in getting rid of dirt, bacteria, and even preventing or treating acne.
The face mask can restore and replenish the skin health after a tiring day or after a day out in the sun.
- Blended cucumber – 1
- Thick yogurt – 2 tsp
- Honey – 1 tsp
How to make it?
- Take a tablespoon of blended cucumber in a small bowl.
- Add thick yogurt and honey to it.
- Mix the ingredients.
- Wash your face and pat it dry.
- Now take the paste and make a thick layer of it on the skin.
- Leave it for 15-20 minutes and apply the face moisturizer.
While you leave the face mask on your skin, you can also put thin slices of cucumber on your eyes to remove puffiness and soothe the eyes.
Note: Before using, make sure to test it to see if any of these ingredients have any allergic effects on the skin.
2. Cucumber Juice for Skin
Orally consuming cucumber is one great way to promote skin condition as well as overall health. The low-calorie, high water content and nutrient-dense properties make it a perfect drink to hydrate and replenish the body with nutrients.
- Sliced cucumber – 1
- Juiced lemons – 5
- Water – 1 cup
- Sugar – a pinch for taste
How to make it?
- Take the cucumber slices and blend into a pulp using a blender or food processor.
- Pour the pulp into a bowl and allow it to sit until 2/3 of it is left.
- Now take sugar and add it a bowl of water and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Take lemon juice, sugar water, and cucumber pulp and mix it together.
Your cucumber juice is ready to be served.
Cucumber is one of the healthiest vegetables with various nutrients that can benefit the skin as well as overall body health. Adding it to the regular diet is very simple but can exhibit excellent results.