How many of you would want to throw out the white string silky fibers that are present at the end of corns? If you have, do not anymore, as this corn silk can be utilized in the form of tea. It is a powerhouse of many health benefits. It has been used as an alternative form of medicine in Chinese and Ancient American medicine to treat diseases like heart disease, UTI, and malaria. Corn silk can be consumed as capsules, dried, or in the form of tea.
This tea has ample health benefits that you’ve never heard of. Read on to know it’s nutritional benefits and ways to make Corn Silk Tea.
Nutritional Information for Corn Silk tea
How It Works on Our Health
Mentioned below are the corn silk tea benefits
- Vitamin C Rich- If you want to boost your immunity, you have to increase your Vitamin C dosage. Drinking this tea will give your body a lot of Vitamin C. It also works as an antioxidant, helping your body to fight off the free radicals that cause damage to the cells and body.
- Manages Blood Sugar Control– This works great for people who have diabetes. This tea increases the insulin level in the body and control blood sugar levels.
- Gout problems- Drinking this tea can reduce your risk of gout. IT works as an analgesic and reduces the pain caused by Gout.
- Fixes Bedwetting Problems- This tea is beneficial for bedwetting. Drinking a cup of tea every day may fix this problem common in toddlers and some adults.
- Improves Kidney health –Along with improving kidney health, it treats UTI’s, problems associated with the urinary bladder, kidney stones, painful urination, etc.
- Aids Digestion– Drinking this tea increases the production of bile in the body and boosts the digestion process. It improves gut health and prevents you from the risk of gallbladder stones.
- Treats Rashes- One of the various corn silk uses includes its ability to treat boils and rashes. It has antiseptic and antibacterial properties that prevent skin infections and wounds.
- Provides Nutrition to the Body- It is a storehouse of powerful nutrients that are not very common in all plants. This makes this tea exceptional and beneficial for health.
- Vitamin K Rich- It also provides your body with Vitamin K that helps your body in clotting.
- Increases Urine Output- This tea increases the urine output in the body and works as a natural remedy to improve kidney function(1). Increased urine output also flushes toxins from the body.
The Best Ways to Use Corn Silk
1. Corn Silk Tea for Kidneys
Chopped corn silk, 1 cup water, honey.
Take 1 cup of water and put to boil. Add chopped corn silk. Once it boils, cover the pan and let it steep for 15 minutes. Once cool enough, add 1 tsp honey if you want to sweeten it and drink it.
Although its best to drink fresh tea every day, it can be stored up to 2 days in the refrigerator.
2. Corn Silk Tea for Nutrition
Cornsilk, water, lemon, green tea leaves, and honey.
Take a cup of water and put to boil. Add corn silk to it and reduce it to a simmer. Turn off the flame and add 1 tsp green tea leaves and 1 tsp lemon juice.
Allow it to steel for 10 minutes. Strain and add some honey and drink every day.
3. Corn silk tea for Cold and Cough
Grated ginger or 1 tbsp ginger juice, honey, corn silk.
Take a pan and add some water to boil. Next, add grated ginger or ginger juice and chopped corn silk. You can also add cloves to this. Reduce the heat, cover it, and simmer it for 20 mins. Strain and have it warm.
Repeat twice every day to loosen the mucus and relieve your symptoms of a cold.
- Corn Silk being a diuretic, can lead to hypokalemia.
- Side effects may include symptoms like dizziness, headache, nausea, stomach ache, and gout.
- Cornsilk, if consumed more than twice, can cause irregular heartbeat.
- Continued use of corn silk can lead to kidney damage as it is rich in potassium.
- Avoid drinking this tea during pregnancy and while breastfeeding unless approved by a doctor.
- If you are drinking this tea for a particular health condition, it is advised you seek confirmation from your doctor first.
If you want an alternative and natural remedy to improve your health and overall body functioning, you must give this tea a shot. Other than being a beneficial beverage, it also consists of a long list of antioxidants that keep diseases away(2). Drinking 1 cup of this tea every day can prove beneficial to your body. However, discuss with your doctor whether you should use cornsilk tea under a medical condition.
1. How to Make Corn Silk Tea?
Peel the corn and take out the corn silk from it. Chop it and add it to boiling water and let it steep for 5 minutes.
Strain and. Add jaggery or sugar to sweeten it.
2. Does This Tea Improve My Kidney Function?
Yes, it does. It is advised not to drink this tea before sleeping as it increases urine output. An urgency to urinate could lead to disturbance in sleep.