Do you see a few red spots or enlarged red bumps on your skin? Or do you have a different kind of dandruff with an inflamed scalp? These symptoms sound weird, don’t they! But have you ever thought that it could be beyond dandruff or dried skin? The answer to your most curious question is due to a skin condition called psoriasis. Psoriasis is an often recurring and multifactorial skin condition with complex causes. No one knows the exact cause of psoriasis, but there are few common factors which are imputed to this skin condition.
An autoimmune abnormality where the immune system is mistakenly triggered that leads to the production of excess skin cells gets considered as one of the most recognized causes of psoriasis. On an average, a healthy body cell takes 28-30 days for maturing and falling off the body but under psoriasis, this duration constricts to only 3-4 days. But do you know that this skin condition can be cured or limited with turmeric? Surprised? According to several studies, turmeric is the most potent terrific natural remedy that treats the symptoms of psoriasis. Read on to discover the benefits and process of using turmeric for psoriasis.
Turmeric for Psoriasis
- Ground turmeric for psoriasis
- Aloe Vera and Turmeric
- Turmeric tea
- Turmeric Smoothie
- Coconut oil and Kasturi turmeric
About the gift of nature: Turmeric
Natural plant products are in use throughout the humankind for generations. Right from the moment we are born in the world, someone or the other had been talking about turmeric and its advantages. Turmeric is a flowering plant of the ginger family and the most potent herb on the earth. Turmeric powder is probably the most important spice in many of the dishes and cuisines. Turmeric also gets used as a coloring agent in South Asian cuisines. The fabulous benefits of turmeric are primarily due to its phytochemistry.
Turmeric mainly possesses anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antifungal properties that cure many of the diseases and skin conditions. It also offers excellent antioxidant properties. These properties are due to the presence of compounds in turmeric, called curcuminoids such as curcumin, demethoxycurcumin, and bisdemethoxycurcumin that have various advantages for human health. Let us continue to explore the extensive benefits and great natural remedies of turmeric for psoriasis.
Which type of turmeric serves the best to heal psoriasis and why?
The answer to this curious question is Kasturi Turmeric scientifically called as Cucuma Aromatic. It is a gift of nature for your skin. Kasturi turmeric is also known as Wild Turmeric or Kasturi Manjal from ancient times. It is mostly found in South Asian regions and contains more beauty properties. You cannot use it in cooking as a spice like regular turmeric. The Kasturi Turmeric improves the skin tone, heals skin conditions such as psoriasis, rashes, and other allergies. It also treats several skin ailments including eczema. It reduces the symptoms caused by skin conditions like psoriasis.
How to use turmeric for psoriasis for best results?
The pure Kasturi turmeric has remarkable effects on scaly skin and enlarged red bumps.
- Take 1 cup of Kasturi turmeric powder and half a cup of yogurt
- Add the Kasturi turmeric powder to the cup containing yogurt
- Stir the mixture well and make it as a thick paste
- Apply the paste on the affected skin regions
- Leave it to dry and rinse it off
Top Five Natural Remedies or DIY’s of Turmeric for Psoriasis
1. Ground turmeric for psoriasis
How to use?
- Take 1 part of turmeric and two parts of water
- Mix the turmeric with the water and stir well
- Simmer the mixture on low heat for 3-5 minutes
- A thick paste of raw turmeric gets formed
- Keep the paste as it is till it cools down
- Apply it on the affected regions
- You can also refrigerate the remaining turmeric paste for daily use
- Leave it to dry for 10-20 minutes and wash it off
- Do this regularly for best results on psoriasis
Benefits of ground turmeric:
The raw turmeric powder is rich in anti-inflammatory property and antioxidants. The wound healing properties of turmeric heal the rashes, blood spots, and scaly skin allergies caused due to psoriasis. It also reduces the inflammation and redness in psoriasis patients by down-regulating the skin receptors responsible for this skin condition. If you are wondering on how to cure psoriasis, then turmeric for psoriasis would be the best solution.
2. Aloe Vera and Turmeric
How to use?
- Take a cup of turmeric powder and a fresh Aloe Vera leaf
- Cut and open the Aloe Vera leaf and take the gel outside with the help of a spoon
- Add the Aloe Vera gel to the cup containing turmeric powder
- Make it as a thick paste and apply it on the affected area
- Massage in a circular motion for 2-3 minutes
- Wash it off with cool water after 15-20 minutes
- Do this on a daily basis on the affected skin regions
Benefits of Aloe Vera and turmeric:
The anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, and soothing properties of Aloe Vera make it the best herb to reduce the itchiness, redness, and swelling which occur in psoriasis patients. Aloe Vera also stimulates fresh cell growth and reduces the thickness of the rashes on the affected skin areas. It nourishes and hydrates the skin to make it healthy and soft. The combination of turmeric with Aloe Vera makes it as the best pack for healing psoriasis fast.
3. Turmeric tea
How to prepare?
- Take one tablespoon of turmeric, four cups of water, and one teaspoon of raw honey or fresh lime juice
- Boil the water for a few minutes
- Put the turmeric into the boiling water and heat it for 5-10 minutes
- Strain the liquid and add honey or lime juice before drinking the turmeric tea
- You can also add grated ginger instead of honey
- Consume it thrice a week for best results on psoriasis
Benefits of turmeric tea:
Turmeric tea has many natural advantages. Hundreds of studies stated that curcumin which is an active compound in turmeric that fights inflammation. The curcumin presence in turmeric tea is said to have anti-cancer effects. The turmeric when consumed can reduce swelling, redness, and itchiness caused by psoriasis. The anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric tea boost immunity in your body to a large extent.
4. Turmeric Smoothie
- One large peeled and sliced a ripe banana
- ½ teaspoon of peeled fresh ginger
- 1 cup of carrot juice
- 2 cups of pineapple
- 1/4 tablespoon of ground turmeric powder
- One teaspoon of lime juice
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- Half a cup of filtered water
How to prepare?
- Toss the carrots into the high-speed blender and add water to obtain a smooth mixture
- Extract the juice with the help of a thin and soft dish towel
- Transfer the carrot juice to a jar
- Add fresh pineapple, ripe banana, lime juice, ginger, ground turmeric, and almond milk into the jar containing carrot juice
- Blend the mixture till it turns into creamy and smooth
- You can also add more carrot juice and almond milk if required
- Filter it and consume the smoothie
- You can also add little honey for natural sweetening
Benefits of turmeric smoothie
The turmeric smoothie contains natural ingredients such as turmeric, almond milk, carrot and ginger that has phenomenal natural anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and analgesic properties.
The carrots are rich in beta-carotene and many other natural nutrients. Beta-carotene acts as an antioxidant and protects the skin from UV damage. It also maintains the collagen and elastin levels in the skin.
The regular consumption of almond milk nourishes your skin and gives you a glowing effect since it is rich in vitamin K.
Pineapple is the powerhouse of vitamin C, antioxidants, and bromelain. It is incredibly beneficial in the treatment and prevention of skin condition such as acne, psoriasis, fine lines, uneven skin toning, and for UV affected skin regions.
5. Coconut oil and Kasturi turmeric
How to use?
- Take 1/2 cup of coconut oil
- Add five tablespoons of Kasturi (wild turmeric) turmeric powder to the cup containing coconut oil
- Stir well and make it as a thick paste
- Apply the paste on the affected area
- Let it dry and rinse it off within a few minutes
Benefits of coconut oil and Kasturi (wild turmeric)
Coconut oil not only moisturizes dry hair and skin, but it can act as an excellent remedy for psoriasis too. Coconut oil increases skin hydration and reduces the water loss in dry skin. Coconut oil naturally has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, moisturizing, and anti-inflammatory properties. It eventually reduces the inflammation, swelling, rashes, redness, and other skin allergies caused due to psoriasis and help to keep the skin clean and healthy.
A Word of Caution
- Always make sure that you use only fresh veggies and fruits for preparing the remedy recipes and also make sure that you wash them before use. Because rotten fruits and vegetables might contain bacteria and fungi which can make the condition even worse.
- Boil the water to apply on your skin or psoriasis affected regions and be precautious with the temperature.
- Consuming more turmeric might make blood sugar level too low. It is recommended to consume less turmeric into the diet for low blood sugar patients.
- Don’t add more amount of turmeric into the smoothies and turmeric tea as it can upset the stomach. It can stimulate the stomach to produce more amounts of gastric juices that lead to discomfort.
- Large amounts of turmeric consumption might lower the testosterone levels in male and can decrease the sperm movement if consumed orally. Hence, the turmeric must be used in with caution in people who try to have a baby.
Turmeric has excellent benefits on the skin and the body. There is no doubt about that. The natural methods and home remedies on how to use turmeric for psoriasis discussed above are wondrously beneficial and leave no side effects on the skin. It is not a big deal to heal and cure psoriasis if you follow these natural remedies and exercises regularly. Follow these natural methods and treatments genuinely. While doing these remedies make sure you keep a word of caution in mind to get useful results. However, if inflammation and allergies persist and become more painful over the time, make sure to consult a physician.