The herb Oregano has commonly been associated with culinary purposes. The Mediterranean and Italian cuisines constitute oregano as a significant ingredient in its dishes. Oregano and Mint belong to the same family. Oregano is also known as European oregano, Greek Oregano, Wild marjoram, and winter marjoram. Oregano(1) is used in several ways as toppings, the main ingredient in dishes, and also in the form of teas.
This tea is distinctly flavored with a slightly strong and bitter taste. Oregano has an ancient history of health benefits in every method of consumption. The benefits of Oregano Tea include a raw and natural way of treating health problems like nausea, sore throat, and IBS.
Nutritional Benefits Of Oregano Tea
The nutritional profile of Oregano is excellent. 100 gm of Oregano provides you with
- Folates- 59%
- Pyridoxine- 80%
- Vitamin A- 57%
- Vitamin K- 518%
- Vitamin C- 4 %
- Manganese- 203%
- Carotene- 1007 ug
The Health Benefits Of Oregano Tea You Cannot Miss
- Oregano is rich in antioxidants. It protects the body against damage by free radicals that cause oxidative stress to the body. It causes cell damage and makes you prone to a lot of chronic diseases. Having Oregano Tea utilizes antioxidants to improve health.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties. Consuming this tea helps in reducing joint pain, skin irritation, and treat dry cough.
- This tea is anti-bacterial. It protects the body against various bacterial infections and prevents many diseases.
- Oregano tea has anti-viral properties too. Drinking this tea boosts your immunity and protects your body against several viruses, especially during seasonal changes.
- It is rich in Vitamins A, and drinking this tea only makes it better for the body to absorb it. Vitamin A helps in maintaining proper eye health and prevents cataracts in eyes and keeps other eye infections at bay.
- This tea for cold is all you would need to alleviate its symptoms. It helps in loosening the mucus and cough
[Read: Benefits of Oregano Oil for Flu]
The recommended Oregano Tea Recipes are as follows
1. Oregano Tea for Immunity
1 sprig of fresh oregano, 2 cups of boiling water, 1 tsp honey.
Boil water in a pan and add oregano to it. Strain and add contents to the glass and honey to it.
Drink every day to boost up your immunity.
[Read: Oregano Oil for Acne Treatment]
2. Oregano Tea for Asthma
3 tsp of fresh oregano, hot water.
Take 3 tsp of grounded oregano and add to a cup of hot water for ten minutes. You can drink it with the oregano or strain and drink by adding a few tsp of honey for better taste.
Drink twice every day to reduce asthma and inflammation in your body.
3. Oregano Tea For Cough And Cold
1-inch ginger, oregano leaves, water.
Take a pan and boil water in it. Add the ginger and let it simmer for a while. Then, mix oregano leaves and turn off the flame and let it steep for 10 minutes. Strain the liquid into a cup and add honey.
Drink this every day to treat your cough.
4. Oregano Tea for Insomnia
Oregano leaves, 1 tsp lemon, basil leaves, and water.
Take a pan and boil water in it. Add some oregano and basil leaves and put it to simmer. Strain the mixture into a cup and add some lemon juice and honey to it. Drink it an hour before bedtime every day for better and undisturbed sleep.
Oregano Tea Side Effects
- Drinking this herbal tea every day won’t cause side-effects, but if you drink 4-5 cups of this tea in a day, it can lead to an upset stomach.
- Oregano allergies(2) are unheard of, but if you get rashes, headaches, or feel nauseous, stop drinking it immediately.
- People who are allergic to plants belonging to the Lamiaceae family are likely to develop allergy symptoms while consuming Oregano.
- Pregnant women must be a little careful while drinking oregano tea, as it is known to cause menstruation.
Oregano, as an herb, has displayed anti-viral and anti-bacterial benefits. Although it can be a little hazy to understand how oregano tea is better than other ways of consuming oregano, as an herb, it undoubtedly stands out because of the benefits it has to offer. Opt for this natural remedy that works great in treating cold, treating insomnia, and several other health factors.
1. Can Oregano Tea Cause Miscarriage?
Yes, this tea is known to cause menstruation in women. It is not very safe to consume this regularly during pregnancy, as it can lead it a miscarriage.
2. Can Oregano Tea Kill Candida?
Oregano can treat yeast hypersensitivity syndrome. Yes, it can kill Candida.