Basil seeds are black in color that look similar to chia seeds. These seeds offer immense health benefits, and contain almost double the amount of omega 3 fatty acids than compared to others. They also tend to have healthy fiber content and are favored since ages for its medical benefits. The reason why it has has been used since ages.
Basil seeds are low in calories, which makes it the popular ingredient for those people who want to lose weight. Additionally, among Basil seeds vs chia seeds, the former is well-known to provide a high amount of fiber, protein, and essential nutrients. Basil seeds are rich in carbohydrates (42% of carbs in 100 grams), protein (20% in 100 grams), and a powerhouse of omega-three fatty acids.
How to use it?
The perfect way to consume Basil seeds is mentioned below.
- Soak a tablespoon of Basil seeds in water for 15 minutes. Consume it
- You can also add the seeds to lemon water, milk, buttermilk, or water.
These seeds are rich in dietary fiber due to which it keeps the person satiated for long hours. Along with it, the consumption of Basil seeds also helps in keeping the cravings away and supporting weight loss.
Basil Seeds Benefits
1. Good source of minerals
Basil seeds are an good source of calcium, which is essential for enhanced bone health. In addition they contain iron, which is vital for red blood cell production.
2. Rich in plant compounds
Basil seeds are rich in crucial plant compounds, including flavonoids Such plant compounds have anticancer and anti-inflammatory properties. Along with it, Basil seeds provide the body with essential antibacterial properties.
[ Read: Holy Basil Benefits ]
4. Weight Loss
Benefits of Basil seeds include fast metabolism and burning off extra fat from the body. The abundant amount of fiber in Basil seeds helps in keeping satiated for a long time.
5. Controls blood sugar levels
People with type 2 diabetes need to eat 10 grams of Basil seeds in water. Consuming it after every meal helps in controlling the blood sugar levels. Included in the diet and consumed after every meal.
6. Relieving bloating and constipation
Basil seeds are well-covered in mucilaginous gel around the inner part. When these seeds get soaked in water, then it exhibits the properties of an emollient.
7. Treats acidity and heartburn
Due to the presence of diuretic properties, Basil seeds nutrition help in flushing out toxins. It helps in neutralizing stomach acids and provides much relief by cleansing kidneys.
8. Cures cough and cold
The antispasmodic property of Basil seeds makes them perfect to use for curing a cold and cough. Along with it, Basil seeds help in strengthening the immune system of the body.
Ayurvedic Uses of Basil seeds
For more than 1000 years, Basil seeds have remained an integral part of Ayurvedic treatment.
- It is an amazing natural coolant in summer, which serves as an efficient diuretic.
- It is highly recommended for those who suffer from dysuria,
- People who are suffering from eating disorders can consume Basil seeds in their regular diet.
- Eating Basil seeds help you to reach the daily intake of nutrients.
[Read: Benefits of Basil Essential Oil]
Common side-effects of Basil seeds
Though Basil seeds offer you with several health benefits. Overdose of Basil seeds can have severe side-effects on your health. Common side-effects:
- Acid reflux
- Loss of appetite
- Abdomen discomfort
Soaking Basil seeds in water or consuming them may seem to be boring. To get the practical health benefits by making Basil seeds(1) or Falooda seeds enjoyable, you can try the following recipes:
1. With lemonade
Ingredients: Juice of lemon, two glass cold water, three tbs strawberry syrup, two tbs Basil seeds, 4-5 mint leaves, a pinch of salt.
- Soak Basil seeds after washing in warm water for 15 minutes.
- Strain out excess water.
- Mix strawberry syrup, lemon juice, and chilled water in a jar.
- Stir strained Basil seeds by adding in the jar.
- After that, add mint leaves and salt.
2. With mixed fruits
Ingredients: Almond milk of 400 ml, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, two tbsp Basil seeds, two bananas, two dates, 2 cups chopped fruits, a pinch of salt.
- Soak Basil seeds in warm water for 10-15 minutes.
- Mix almond milk, dates, bananas, cinnamon, and salt in a blender. Prepare a thick paste.
- Stir Basil seeds and wait for 10 minutes. Then serve Basil seeds and drink it with toppings of mixed fruits.
Basil seeds are a well-known food source that helps in adding value to your life. However, it is better to consult your healthcare provider before taking them. Thus, it is highly recommended not to exceed a tablespoon in general or the recommended intake of Basil seeds.
[ Read: Holy Basil Tea Benefits ]
1. How Are Basil Seeds Good for Thyroid?
Basil seeds contain the right amount of Omega 3 fatty acids, which helps in maintaining metabolism. In addition to it, the high amount of nutrients and minerals help in the proper functioning of the thyroid gland.
2. Can Basil Seeds Help in Reducing Body Heat?
Basil seeds work as the natural coolants for the human body. By taking it with cold milk can help to reduce body heat.