Depending on where you dwell and how your body responds to different seasons, you may be prone to some illnesses and more frequently than others. However, common cold catches all of us pretty often. The bacteria causing cold easily spreads in the air and get into your airways and so it surfaces as one of the most widely affecting diseases.
Although a mild condition, cold can still be very irritating. Nobody likes to clean a runny nose now and then especially when you are with your loved one or are stuck in a meeting. It becomes unbearable when a sharp headache restricts you from concentrating on your work.
In this article, you will find all the ins and outs of one of the most useful solution for treating cold- the apple cider vinegar. Choose your favorite way of employing apple cider vinegar for colds and kick it off from your life.
About Apple Cider Vinegar for cold treatment
Apple cider vinegar(1) is produced through fermentation of apple juice. When the fermentation process starts, the bacteria and yeast act upon the sugars, turning the apple juice into alcohol. Now, if you stop fermentation at this stage, you will get apple cider.
Apple cider vinegar drink is refreshing and can be your companion on a hot summer afternoon. But, if the fermentation process continues the concoction turns into apple cider vinegar. This apple cider vinegar works out tremendously well in treating several of your body ailments – including colds.
Is apple cider vinegar good for colds? The use of apple cider vinegar for cold is the best thing you can do to your body for providing instant relief from cold and its symptoms. This strong-smelling super liquid is a potent remedy for many health issues.
Learn more about cold, its symptoms, and causes so that you can have a better understanding of the problem. Doing so will also foster you to recognize the potential of apple cider vinegar for cold in a better way.
The common cold is a mild issue which affects you in the form of a viral infection in your upper respiratory tract. Small children are at a higher risk of catching a cold, but adults are not exempt from it. The sufferer usually recovers from a common cold in ten days. However, if you fail to heal within this time, it is advisable to consult a doctor.
A cold virus enters your body through mouth, eyes, or nose. You can also catch a cold if you come in contact through a person who is suffering from cold especially when that person sneezes or talks.
How does Apple Cider Vinegar help to get rid of a cold?
Apple cider vinegar acts as an excellent weapon against different types of bacteria. The pungent smelling liquid will help you evade the common cold bacteria in a better way than any other remedy. Sometimes people opt for strong medications to cure a cold. These medications might treat cold, but they hamper your other organs in some way or the other.
- The super acidic apple cider vinegar contains a substance called ‘must.’ Must refer to the pieces of the apple that ferment in the juice. ‘Mother’ is a colony of bacteria that operate as probiotics when consumed by a sufferer. This colon of bacteria finds its abode in the must. These probiotics are full of immune-boosting properties that allow apple cider vinegar to shorten the duration of a cold. These properties are the main reason behind using apple cider vinegar for cold treatment and get relief from the disease
- While suffering from cold, you happen to accumulate phlegm. This phlegm causes a feeling of irritation in the throat. You always feel a sense of heaviness in your throat. There is a constant urge to spit which scratches your throat. The acidic nature of apple cider vinegar allows the loosening of phlegm which makes you feel better and relaxed. The acid in apple cider vinegar liquefies mucus in the throat which fosters its removal from the respiratory tract
- Apple cider vinegar is also known to kill the infection-causing bacteria and pathogens readily
- Apple cider vinegar is a product of fermentation of apples. Thus it comprises common elements like an apple. The vinegar is rich in nutrients like potassium, vitamin C, antioxidants and vitamin E. These nutrients help to fight cold making it an effective remedy
- Apples help to maintain the health of your lungs and keep them in good working condition. Thus consuming apple cider vinegar for colds makes breathing easy. Common colds tend to result in the stuffy nose which hampers your natural breathing process. Consuming apple cider vinegar for cold as a remedy will make you breathe easily especially during the night when the undesirable situation affects the most
[ Read: Home Remedies For Cold ]
How to use apple cider vinegar for cold?
Apple cider vinegar has a strong taste. Many people don’t find it easy to consume it raw or even when diluted with water. This article will enrich you with some fantastic ways in which you can use apple cider vinegar for cold(2). Try to adopt them in your life and treat the irritating symptoms of cold easily.
Apple cider vinegar with honey for the cold treatment
Apple cider vinegar with honey is one of the most widely used remedies for treating cold. It is in use for curing a cold for time unknown.
How to use?
- One tbsp of honey
- Lukewarm water
- One tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- Mix one tbsp of apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water
- To this add one tbsp of raw honey
- Mix it well and drink it
Dosage: Repeat the process once or twice a day until you feel better.
[ Read: Naturopathic Remedies to Get Rid of Cold ]
Apple cider vinegar gargle for cold treatment
You can use apple cider vinegar for gargling purposes. It is easy to make this solution and is very useful in giving you relief from cold and its symptoms.
How to use?
- Quarter of a cup of lukewarm water
- Quarter of a cup of vinegar
- Mix all the above ingredients in the right proportion
- Tilt your head back and gargle with the solution
- Repeat the process for two minutes
- Rinse your teeth after spitting it out
Apple cider vinegar cold rub
You can rub apple cider vinegar on your throat or the area around your sinuses for relief from cold. This strong vinegar with its overpowering smell helps to loosen congestion which is a common symptom of a cold.
Apple Cider Vinegar Pills For Cold
If you are not comforta()ble with the smell and taste of apple cider vinegar, you can go for apple cider vinegar pills(3) as well. Although the vitamin C content in these pills is not similar to the vinegar itself, they do have some benefits identical to apple cider vinegar. They will work for you well in giving you relief from cold. Always consult a doctor about the dosage of apple cider vinegar before using it as a remedy for cold.
Side effects of using apple cider vinegar for cold
- Apple cider vinegar is highly acidic. This acid, when consumed as a drink, irritates the lining of your stomach and esophagus. This leads to the formation of an ulcer
- Drinking apple cider vinegar for cold can cause erosion of your tooth enamel with time
Precautions to adopt while using apple cider vinegar for cold
- It is always good to use apple cider vinegar in a diluted form. People who suffer from ulcers, GERD, or reflux should avoid using apple cider vinegar for cold treatment
- Always rinse your mouth after gargling or drinking apple cider vinegar for cold
- If you are using apple cider vinegar for treating cold of your child, then always consult a doctor beforehand
- If you are pregnant, then avoid using apple cider vinegar for cold cure
- Always use apple cider vinegar in small quantity
- Avoid using apple cider vinegar in its raw state
[ Read: Can A Cold Be Helped With A Detox Bath? ]
Apple cider vinegar has proved its worth with time and forth. This magical ingredient serves as a feasible and low-risk remedy to shorten the duration of a cold. Cold is a common condition, and there are strong chances of you to catch a cold once or twice during a year. Usually, people rely on a homemade remedy for getting rid of cold. Home remedies are convenient and also come with a very low risk involved. You can trust them readily without worrying much about their side effects.
Apple cider vinegar turns out to be your favorite companion to beat cold and its symptoms. This magical solution is readily available in the market, and so you don’t have to spend hours searching for it. You can also make apple cider vinegar at home as well. Before using apple cider vinegar for cold, be cautious about its side effects and precautions. This will help you to get the best results of apple cider vinegar.