There is perhaps no happier feeling in the world than the joy of discovering that you are pregnant. Especially, if you have been trying hard to become a mother, then this feeling remains radiant in your mind forever. But pregnancy is not all sunshine and happiness. In fact, it is a mixed box of pleasure, pain, mood swings, morning sickness, and other troubles galore.
Not only this, but a few women also face morning sickness which is believed to appear between 4 to 6 weeks of pregnancy and reaching to its highest level between 9 to 13 weeks.
According to the records, 50% to 90% of women experience nausea and 20% to 25% of women experience vomiting during pregnancy. If you are seeking to alleviate the trivial but stubborn trouble of pregnancy then make the best of acupuncture for pregnancy, to ease through the tribulations of maternity.
Can Acupuncture Actually Help to Cure Pregnancy-Related issues?
Acupuncture is incredibly beneficial for the cure of all kinds of discomforts that come with pregnancy. From the cure of morning sickness to the prevention of post-partum problems, acupuncture for pregnancy can make your journey of maternity a joyous and comfortable experience.
[Also Read: Pregnancy Friendly Fruit Juices]
Why do you Need Acupuncture for Pregnancy?
Many individuals have worries about the utilization of acupuncture during pregnancy as it includes the utilization of needles. As a rule, it is best to look for the acupuncture service of an expert professional for the cure of any health complication, particularly during pregnancy.
Pregnancy is one of the most crucial periods of a woman’s life and it is of utmost importance to take immense care and consideration for the mother and developing fetus in the womb. Any sort of hazard may turn lethal or result in extreme misfortune.
[Read: Acupuncture for Fertility]
Is Acupuncture Safe During Pregnancy?
Acupuncture is safe, painless, and devoid of side effects. It is perfect for the health of the pregnant mother and the infant inside her.
Benefits of Acupuncture for Pregnancy
Acupuncture for pregnancy therapy can help to cope with the numerous signs and side effects of pregnancy. Some of them are listed below –
- Hyperemesis gravidarum is a health condition – a serious type of morning sickness or vomiting in the morning that occurs during pregnancy.
- Acupuncture is additionally beneficial for the prevention of spotting or bleeding during the first weeks of pregnancy.
- Acupuncture can help with the prevention and cure of fatigue(1), headache, migraines, acid reflux and numerous different symptoms of pregnancy.
- It is common to experience anxiety and depression during pregnancy. The approach of Acupuncture helps with mood swings and anxiety attacks as well.
- Pain in the lower back region, hip pain, and pain in the legs usually follow the period of labor. Acupuncture for infertility can easily cure labor pain and soothe the muscles in the body.
- Extensive study and research reveal that the employment of acupuncture for pregnancy therapy can help to shorten the period of labor, which is of extreme relief for the mother.
[Read: Cure Pregnancy Insomnia ]
How can Acupuncture Prevent Miscarriage?
Acupuncture during pregnancy can be extremely helpful for aiding the avoidance of unnatural birth cycle that has nothing to do with chromosomal anomalies. Acupuncture works by treating the reasons for unsuccessful labor(2) and miscarriage. The therapy can be useful in the following few ways:
- Expansion of the thickness and strength of the endometrial covering
- Regulation of the balance of hormones
- Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)
- Reduction of uterine compressions in the early months of pregnancy
- Improvement of the flow of uterine blood to forestall clotting of blood
- Management of the body immunity
- Reduction of stress
Acupuncture Points for Pregnancy-Related Issues
Acupuncture Points for Morning Sickness
This zone of an acupuncture point is at the left wrist, about a width of two fingers beneath the wrinkle of the wrist. The point is between the two ligaments on the wrist. If the ligaments are not clearly visible, twist your hand towards the wrinkle of the elbow and crunch your fingers, to accentuate the ligaments and make them clearly visible.
This acupuncture point is the “Pericardium Six” which is present in the stomach. The application of acupuncture at this point can soothe your mind and ease queasiness. Repeat the process on the two wrists for more effectiveness.
Acupuncture Points for Acid Reflux
This acupuncture point is present on the webbing between the third and second toes, exactly at the bottom of each toe. Apply the acupuncture at this point to get relief from heartburn. Perform the process of acupuncture on both the feet. The administration of acupuncture at this point removes the “heat” or warm sensation which thereby cures the acid reflux that occurs during pregnancy.
Acupuncture Points for Constipation
This acupuncture point for pregnancy is present beneath the kneecap at about a fingers width from the right ankle bone to the external edge. This acupuncture point is the “Three Mile” Point (or Stomach 36). The administration of acupuncture at this point can help with the cure of constipation, besides soothing the stomach and treating other digestive troubles.
Acupuncture Points for Headache
Reflexology Remedy: The fleshy base of each big toe is the acupuncture point for the cure of headaches and migraines that occur during pregnancy. The administration of acupuncture at this point in the reflex zone of the mind can help with the discharge of blocked energies and calm the cerebral pain. It can also aid in the transmission of recuperating vitality all through the whole body.
Acupuncture Points for Insomnia
“The Third Eye” point of acupuncture: This point of acupuncture for pregnancy lies between the eyebrows where there is a little depression at the ridge of the brows, and over the nose. The administration of acupuncture at this point helps to diminish tension, stress, anxiety, and cerebral pain so you can sleep well through the night.
“Tranquil Sleep” point: The acupuncture point for pregnancy is present behind your ears at the lower region of the skull, somewhat above the level of the jaws. The slight depression at the point of acupuncture helps to promote sleep and restfulness.
[ Read: Cure Pregnancy Insomnia Effectively ]
Risks from Acupuncture During Pregnancy
Acupuncture is safe and perfectly free of risks for a pregnant woman if performed by a professional and expert acupuncturist. Some of the most common risks factors, as a rule, include
- Soreness at the points where the needles puncture the skin
- Redness or bruises in the skin, and
- A little bleeding if needles pierce the skin a little too deep
The biggest worry for the pregnant woman is the spot where the needle punctures the skin. There are some acupuncture points for pregnancy, (for example the points near the ankle) which can trigger contractions and severe labor pain. Only an expert acupuncturist can avoid such points and administer the best kind of acupuncture therapy during pregnancy.
Useful Tips on Acupuncture for Pregnant Women
Are you seeking to tackle the symptoms of pregnancy with acupuncture therapy treatment? A couple of useful tips which you need to keep in mind are:
Consult your doctor- In case you’re thinking about acupuncture during pregnancy, talk about it with your gynecologist first. In spite of the fact that these treatments are safe and involve painless procedures, it is ideal to examine the health conditions, medication, and different issues to decide whether acupuncture for pregnancy is good for you or not.
Pick an acupuncturist with care- Search for an acupuncturist who is authorized by the government and licensed by the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (NCCAOM). Ensure that the acupuncture specialist has wide experience in administering the therapy to pregnant women.
Think about the expenses- Before you start the acupuncture for pregnancy treatment, get some information about the medications you may need and cost of the whole treatment. Consult your insurance agency, as some of the agents cover the expenses of the therapy while the others do not. Consider whether you will need to pay the bills out of your pocket or not.
Keep an eye out for indications of inconvenience- If you are taking the therapy to induce quicker labor then you will feel anomalous contractions. If not, then you need to watch out for the contractions and proceed with the therapy in accordance
[Also Read: Benefits of Castor Oil for Pregnancy]
How can Acupuncture Help During the Post-Pregnancy Phase?
The post-pregnancy phase often comes with the following troubles and difficulties for a mother.
- Poor supply of breast milk
- Anxiety and panic attacks
- Exhaustion and weakness
- Pain in the lower back and pelvic region
In the post-partum or post-pregnancy phase, acupuncture pregnancy therapy can help reestablish harmony in the production of reproductive hormones. The treatment helps to deal with body aches and pains in the lower back and pelvic region. It is additionally a helpful method for tending to the uneasiness and weakness that the mother feels after giving birth. Besides, if the mother experiences stress and depression, there is a specialized acupuncture therapy treatment for that as well.
Acupuncture pregnancy is also incredibly good for the treatment of poor supply of breast milk. If the supply is inconsistent or low, then acupuncture can help to propel and enhance the flow effectively.
How to Prepare for Your First Acupuncture Pregnancy?
- Seek the assistance of a specialist and licensed acupuncturist for your treatment. Do think about his advice and recommendations. You might get cold feet at the sight of the shiny needles, but all that you will feel is a slight prick and nothing more. The therapist will slowly guide you through the procedure and ease every maternal discomfort.
- Do not keep any work or personal appointments for the rest of the day as you may require an entire day for the after effects of acupuncture pregnancy treatment.
- Eat something like a few hours before your acupuncture treatment session.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine to maximize the benefits of acupuncture pregnancy treatment.
- Wear comfortable dresses to the session so that the acupuncturist can get to the needle acupuncture points for pregnancy with ease.
Acupuncture will relax your taut nerves and strung mind during pregnancy. Visit an acupuncturist and share all your troubles, health complications, and concerns with her/him. Acupuncture for pregnancy is remarkably beneficial for every trimester and can tackle all kinds of problems associated with pregnancy. Drive out the pregnancy blues and embrace the comforts of acupuncture for happy and relaxed maternity.