Witch hazel has been traditionally known for its use for eczema treatments. Research studies on Witch Hazel and its effectiveness on Eczema showed that Witch hazel has antioxidant polyphenols. These help reduce the skin’s inflammation after a sunburn.
The application of witch hazel topically reduces inflammation and soothes sensitive skin. Due to its potent anti-inflammatory property, it is also helpful in the treatment of acne.
Witch Hazel for Eczema
What is Witch Hazel?
Witch hazel is a plant with strong medicinal properties. It helps in soothing inflammation and heals sensitive skin. It possesses potent anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. It restores skin hydration in the outer layer of the skin- one of the symptoms of Eczema. The leaves and bark of the plant can be used for making tea and ointments.
[ Read: Natural Treatments for Eczema ]
Why is Witch Hazel Good For Eczema?
Eczema(1) is a condition in which some parts of the skin become red, patchy, itchy, cracked, and rough. Witch hazel contains natural chemicals such as tannins and flavonoids(2) that are beneficial for the skin having Eczema. It helps hydrate the skin and relieves eczema conditions to a large extent.
However, the research on witch hazel and its effectiveness on Eczema is very less. Several types of research also have indicated that treatments like steroid creams have been the best. However, this proves that witch hazel may not be better in eczema therapy but will be better in providing relief.
[ Read: Benefits of Witch Hazel ]
How to Use Witch Hazel for Eczema?
- Firstly, you should do a patch test with witch hazel by applying it on a clean area of skin, which helps in determining whether it is suitable for you or could cause some skin allergies.
- You can start using witch hazel for Eczema, by opting for natural and organic Witch Hazel oil.
- Dilute it with water or carrier oil, such as organic olive oil or coconut oil.
- Using natural witch hazel for dry skin will help in healing your Eczema, which can increase or flare f unattended. You can use witch hazel by adding it to any cream or balm, such as Organic Manuka Skin Soothing Cream.
- When the diluted solution of witch hazel is ready, you can pour a cotton ball or cotton pad or towel on your skin. Do not rub the affected skin. It may cause irritation to your skin.
- Mostly witch hazel can be applied to the skin and scalp. It helps ease inflammation and soothes the affected or sensitive skin. Witch hazel can be added to herbal teas and can be taken orally in small quantities for natural treatment of the condition.
[ Read: Herbs for Eczema ]
Side Effects & Safety
- Witch hazel is safe for most adults when applied topically. However, in some people, it might cause minor skin irritation.
- Witch hazel is safe for most adults when small doses are taken orally.
- Witch hazel might cause stomach upset when taken by mouth. Large doses might cause liver problems.
- Witch hazel contains a cancer-causing chemical (safrole) too.
Special Precautions & Warnings
- Children: Witch hazel is safe for children when applied directly to the skin.
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding: There is no enough reliable information about the safety of taking witch hazel. Stay on the safer side. Avoid using it.
Our skin needs nourishment and hydration. Our skin often becomes dry, rough, and cracked due to cold weather, and dehydration. One of the severe and unexceptional skin issues is Eczema. Though little research supports the effectiveness of witch hazel for Eczema, it can be used for immediate pain relief.
[ Read: Aloe Vera for Eczema ]
1. Can Witch Hazel Stop Itching?
Witch hazel is very helpful in relieving conditions of Eczema. If you apply witch hazel to the affected area, it helps in reducing itching, irritation, and burning sensation of effectively.
2. Can Witch Hazel Help to Stop Minor Bleeding?
Witch hazel is helpful in soothing irritating, and cracked skin. Yes, it also helps to stop minor bleeding. Witch hazel bark, leaf, and water, if applied to the affected area, helps in reducing minor bleeding.