Many foods seem to be a healthy choice, but only a few of them are actually “healthy.” One such amazing food which is far superior to those seemingly healthy foods is wild rice. Read this article to learn about wild rice benefits.
What is Wild Rice?
Wild rice corresponds to four species of grass of the Zizania genus. While three species of it are native to North America, one is native to China.
Wild Rice Nutrition Facts
Wild rice is low in calories, sodium and fat, and provides you with high amounts of proteins, fibers, and carbohydrates. It is also an excellent source of Vitamin B complex and contains essential minerals like phosphorous, magnesium and potassium(1).
Wild Rice Benefits on Health
Listed below are some of the wild rice benefits on your health.
1. Wild rice benefits your heart
The black wild rice is a heart-healthy food. With no sodium, it maintains healthy blood pressure levels. Further, it is rich in fiber that helps in eliminating the bad cholesterol from your body thus easing the strain on your heart. Also, the presence of vitamin C in wild rice benefits your heart by controlling the damage by free radicals.
2. Wild rice strengthens your bones
Consuming wild rice benefits your bone health significantly. It contains minerals like phosphorus and zinc that help maintain your bone mineral density. Thus, it ensures stronger bones and prevents conditions like osteoporosis.
3. Consuming wild rice benefits in weight loss
Wild rice is low in calories and is gluten-free; thus, it is a healthy weight loss food. Further, it has a high amount of fiber which keeps you full for longer and prevents overeating. Packed with essential nutrients, consuming wild rice also helps in mitigating the healthy nutrient deficiency in your diet.
How to cook wild rice?
Wild rice is super-easy to cook. But before you cook the rice, it is essential that you wash it thoroughly. You can enjoy it plain or add it to your salads, soups and other dishes. Here are four easy ways to cook wild rice.
- Boil: Boiling is the classic and the most common way to enjoy wild rice. Add six cups of water to a cup of wild rice, sprinkle some sea salt and bring it to boil. It will take around 45 minutes for the wild rice to become tender
- Bake: You can also bake wild rice and use it as a stuffing in your dishes. Add a cup of wild rice to two cups of water or broth, add in some salt and bake in a covered bowl for about an hour at 350 F. If required add more water and cook for thirty more minutes
- Steam: Steamed wild rice is quite tender. For steaming add a cup of organic wild rice to three cups of water in a saucepan. Sprinkle some salt and boil. After that, cover it and cook till the kernels pop open. It may take around 45 to 60 minutes
- Microwave: Add a cup of wild rice, and some sea salt to three cups of water. Microwave it on full power for five minutes then 50% power for the next thirty minutes. Let it cool for about 15 minutes and then taste the tenderness
Wild Rice Recipes
Pamper your taste buds with some interesting wild rice recipes mentioned below.
Chicken Wild rice Mushroom Soup
This wild rice soup is hearty and flavorsome.
What will you need?
- Three mushrooms (sliced)
- One onion (chopped)
- One celery stick (sliced)
- One cup of long grain and wild rice blend
- One-third cup of milk
- One-third cup of heavy cream
- Half a cup of shredded gruyere cheese
- Half a cup of white wine
- Two tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- Two tablespoons of butter
- One tablespoon of olive oil
- Four cups of chicken stock
- One teaspoon of lemon juice
- Two cups of cooked chicken
- Two tablespoons of parsley (chopped)
- One teaspoon of dried thyme
- One-fourth teaspoon of salt
- One-fourth teaspoon of pepper
How to prepare?
- Heat the oil in a saucepan
- Fry mushrooms. Once they are brown remove them
- Next, melt butter and add celery and onion
- Fry them for four to five minutes
- Then add flour and stir
- Increase the heat and slowly add in milk while stirring constantly
- After that, add rice blend and wine
- Next, add chicken stock and dried thyme, bring it to boil and then put it on simmer for twenty minutes
- Once rice gets cooked, add lemon juice, cream, cheese, cooked chicken, mushrooms, pepper, and salt
- If you find it too thick, then add in some more milk
- Cook until the chicken is warmed through and serve
Wild Rice Protein Power Salad
It is a delicious salad packed with proteins.
What will you need?
- Two cups of boiled wild rice
- One red pepper (chopped)
- 14 ounces of sautéed organic tofu or grilled chicken
- Half a cup of carrot (grated)
- One-fourth cup of onion (chopped)
- One-fourth cup of parsley (chopped)
- Juice of half a lemon
- Two tablespoons of olive oil
- Two tablespoons of flax oil
- Sea salt
How to prepare?
- Take a bowl and toss in all the ingredients
Side-effects of wild rice
Wild rice is generally safe for consumption, but if contaminated with heavy metals or fungus, it can cause health issues. Consuming wild rice infected with ergot a toxic fungus may cause
- Mental impairment
Wild rice seed is packed with proteins, fibers and other essential nutrients that make it excellent for boosting your overall health. From protecting your heart to stimulating growth, improving digestion, wild rice benefits you in numerous ways. So add it to your diet and enjoy excellent health.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How many calories are there in wild rice?
Wild rice calories are low. One cup of wild rice contains about 166 calories.
2. What does wild rice taste like?
Wild rice has an earthy nutty flavor that will satiate your taste palate.
3. Is wild rice vegan?
Wild rice is a grass; hence it is vegan.