Vaginal steaming is one of the ancient methods used for cleansing vagina & uterus and also in keeping them healthy. All through a women’s life, the vagina goes through a lot during menstruation, sex, and childbirth.
Although vaginal steaming is an ancient technique, the recent studies and its benefits brought the much-needed prominence to it. Celebrities like Chrissy Teigen are also trying their luck with this ancient method. But should you try it? Well, that’s the question still in debate. Vaginal steaming benefits are numerous; however, there are safety concerns that cannot be overlooked. Now, let’s take a look at the vaginal steaming benefits.
Vaginal Steaming Benefits
Here are some of the benefits of vaginal steaming, otherwise known as yoni steam or vaginal detox.
- Balances the hormones
- Cleanses the uterus
- Reduces menstrual cramps
- Detoxes the vagina
- Kills harmful bacteria in the gut
- Reduces stress
- May increase sex drive
- Boosts fertility
However, there is no scientific evidence to support these benefits.
Risks of vaginal steam treatment:
- The hot steam can harm vulva.
- If the steam is too hot, it could damage the sensitive nerves and tissues in the vagina that are responsible for sex.
- There’s also a higher risk of obtaining vaginal or yeast infections.
- The hot steam can harm healthy bacterial flora in the gut.
How does vaginal steaming work?
This vaginal spa treatment will direct herb-infused steam into your vagina. These herbs that are carried through water have medicinal properties that help in treating various health conditions. Right from reducing menstrual cramps and increasing fertility to postpartum, herbs for vaginal health(1) are of great importance. A vaginal steam bath can also be done at home. But some dedicated spas with trained professionals also offer these services. Below are some of the herbs that are used for vaginal steaming:
[Read: Garlic for East Infection]
How to do vaginal steaming at home?
The below-mentioned is one of the most common ways to do vaginal steaming at home.
- Choose herbs and add the required amount of hot water.
- Now, let the herbs steep for a while, say 15 to 20 minutes.
- Take your clothes off from the waist down.
- You can directly stand or squat over the pot. There are special seats available for these kinds of purposes.
- If you already have a stool or chair that can be used for medical purposes, then place the hot water pot under it and then sit on it.
- Make sure to wrap your legs with a thick blanket so that the steam doesn’t escape.
- You can do the vaginal steaming for 15 minutes.
[Read: Coconut Oil for Vaginal Dryness]
Word of caution/safety concerns
Before you take a vaginal steam bath, below are some important points to consider:
Pregnant women should avoid vaginal steaming as it could induce labor. Along with the harmful bacteria, a steam cleaning vagina can also kill good bacteria in the gut. Now, these bacteria are responsible for maintaining pH balance in the vagina(2). If these bacteria are disturbed, it could lead to yeast or bacterial infections. Make sure to talk to your gynecologist and discuss the benefits and risks that are associated with vaginal steaming in your case.
However, if you are proceeding with this, then here are some necessary precautions:
- Make sure the steam is not too hot as it could damage certain tissues in your uterus.
- Don’t take the first session for more than 15 minutes. You need to test how your vagina reacts to steaming.
- It is in the best interest of pregnant women if they don’t do vaginal steaming until the child is born.
- Herbs you use for vaginal steaming may cause allergies. So first, make sure the herbs are safe and then use them for steaming.
Even though there is no scientific proof to suggest that vaginal steaming is good, there are anecdotal cases in which more and more women have claimed that this procedure offered them countless benefits. However, every woman’s body is different. Also, not all herbs are suitable for everyone. You need to figure out which herbs do not cause irritation or allergy to you. So it is better to consult your personal doctor or gynecologist before proceeding with this.
1. Can I Do Vaginal Steaming During My Menstruation Cycle?
It is not recommended to do this while you are on your periods. Hot steam can speed up the blood and may result in heavy bleeding.
2. How Often Can We Use Yoni Steam Herbs?
Vaginal steaming can be done 2 to 3 times a month. Make sure you’re not on your periods or any other health conditions during those weeks.
3. Can Vaginal Steaming Tighten My Vagina?
There is no evidence to prove the same. However, good steam for your vagina may help you sleep better.