Purple Yams are nothing but Purple sweet potatoes. They are known as root vegetables. The color purple comes from anthocyanins, a component that gives strawberries, cherries, and other vegetables their color. These are every kitchen favorite as they are easy to prepare and cook. These have a nutty flavor and are used in a variety of recipes to cook flavorful dishes. Purple yam nutrients make it extremely beneficial to consume to stay healthy.
- After transplanting for about 120 days, purple yams are harvested.
- This potato is the official vegetable of North Carolina.
- It is, and edible root belonging to the Dioscorea genus and is imported from the Carribean.
- It can last up to two weeks if stored in an air-tight container.
- Purple yam vs. taro is a very confusing thing for everybody due to its shape.
9 Purple Yam Health Benefits That You Never Knew About
Purple Yam nutrition facts are as follows.
- Each cup of purple yam has about 140 calories, Potassium, Sodium, Calcium, Iron, Vitamin C, and Vitamin A. Purple yam is rich in antioxidants(1) and plant compounds that give them its hue.
- It is rich in antioxidants and Vitamin C. The antioxidants protect the body from free radicals. They are molecules that harm your body.
- The antioxidants prevent your body from chronic diseases and life-threatening diseases like cancer. The antioxidants also delay the aging process.
- It is rich in Vitamin C, which boosts immunity and protects your body from flu and other diseases.
- This vegetable helps in regulating blood sugar levels.
- It prevents blood clots.
- This is anti-bacterial. It prevents the growth of harmful bacteria in your body and protects the body from infections.
- Purple Yam is also known to protect against Galactosemia, a disease common in newborns.
- It is known to be anti-inflammatory in nature, and also has immunity building properties.
Best Methods to Consume Purple Yam
These are the purple yam recipe for the purple yam health benefits:-
1. Mashed Purple Yam-An Anti-Inflammatory Nutrient
- Peel these potatoes and cut them into large pieces and put them in salted water.
- Boil until they are soft and can be pierced with a fork.
- Drain out the water and sprinkle some pepper and salt, 4 tbsp ghee, ¼ cup of milk after potatoes are drained.
- Add some mixed herbs.
[Read: Sweet Potato Benefits]
2. Jam Purple Yam Recipe for Gut Health
- 1 unpeeled purple yam fruit
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup sweet and condensed milk
- ¼ tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/2 bowl of evaporated milk
- Take a heavy-bottomed pan and put it on the boil.
- Add the yam and cook until tender. This process should take around 30 minutes.
- Drain and once it cools down, peel it and grate the flesh.
- Take a wok and heat it. Add some butter.
- Mix vanilla extract and condensed milk.
- Add some grated purple yam.
- Reduce the heat and cook occasionally stirring for 30 minutes. Add the evaporated milk and cook for another 15 minutes.
Transfer this yam mixture into a container and allow it to cool. Chill and then serve.
[Read: Benefits Of Raw Potato]
3. Purple Yam and Ginger Pudding for Paleo, Vegan Keto-Friendly Diet-
- 2 yams roasted
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- ½ inch peeled ginger
- 1 tsp Honey as a sweetener for taste
- Roast the yams first. Wrap them in aluminum foil paper and place them on a baking tray. Set the temp at 400 F and bake for an hour.
- Blend the ginger and coconut milk together.
- Next, add this potato (the flesh only) and add honey (you can also use maple syrup) and blend. Stir and add more honey if you like. You can serve it chilled or warm.
[Read: Benefits of Paleo Diet]
4. Purple Yam Recipe for Blood Pressure
- 1 cup of uncooked quinoa
- 3 small onions
- 5 clove of garlic
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 2 purple yams
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp chopped basil
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- Soak the quinoa in cold water for 15 minutes. Strain and wash it in cold water.
- Bring 3 cups of water to boil and add the quinoa and cover while reducing it to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Chop the yam and steam until its tender.
- Next, chop the onion, spinach, basil, and garlic. Sauté this for 5 minutes.
- Place the vegetables and the yam in a bowl. Mash them properly.
- Add the quinoa and stir.
- Now make balls from this mixture and place on a baking sheet. Finally, bake it for 30 minutes at 400-degree F and serve.
Purple Yam(2) is known to be one of the most versatile vegetables of the world due to its flexibility of being included in any recipe. Highly nutritious and delicious, it makes a perfect combo for food lovers and health-conscious people. Although this can be a little difficult to be found every day, some supermarkets might have it readily available.
[Read: Tofu Benefits]
1. How can I cook purple yam?
This can be cooked in various ways. You can roast and eat to make it a highly nutritious meal. You can also boil and mash with other veggies to make it a sandwich stuffing.