Your ears are vital organs of your body that helps you in hearing and maintain the body balance. They may look simple from outside but are quite complicated from inside. The delicate organ releases a discharge known as otorrhea which helps you get rid of ear wax accumulated in the ear. But there are times when fluid builds-up inside the ear and result in ear infections. Children usually suffer from such infections, but these are common in adults too. Get rid of your troubles by learning the tricks for how to remove fluid from the ear.
Fluid in ear symptoms
Following are the signs of fluid in ears
- Ear pain
- Fluid leaking from the ear
- Impaired hearing
- Difficulty in sleeping
- A feeling of fullness in ears
What causes fluid in the ear?
The fluid may accumulate in different regions of your ear causing different conditions. These are:
Acute Otitis Externa:
It is outer ear infection in which excess of moisture gets trapped in your ear canal causing inflammation and itchiness.
Otitis Media with effusion:
It is caused when an excess of fluid builds up behind the eardrum putting excessive pressure on it.
It is caused when endolymph fluid builds up in the inner ear.
Natural ways for how to get fluid out of ear
Excess of fluid in the ear may result in severe troubles and infections which might act as obstacles for you in carrying out routine activities. One may lose the sense of balance or experience dizziness. It may also cause hearing loss. Hence, it is necessary to treat fluid in ear from cold or other infections. Here are some effective remedies for how to remove fluid from the ear.
1. Foods that may help in getting rid of fluid in the ear
How to remove fluid in the ear with garlic?
Garlic is one of the potent remedies for drying out fluid in ears in adults. Those suffering from fullness in ear must try using garlic. It is an effective cure for your ear troubles and gives you quick results.
How to use?
- Take one or two fresh cloves of garlic
- Mince the cloves and keep them aside for about ten minutes
- Till then heat a pan and add to it around five tablespoons of olive oil
- After that, add in minced garlic cloves
- Heat the mixture for about fifteen minutes
- Turn off the heat and let it cool
- Put it in your ear to get relief from the symptoms of outer ear infections
[Read: Olive Oil for Ear Pain]
Benefits of Garlic
Garlic can effectively clear the fluid build-up in your ear. It has antibacterial properties that fight off the infection in the ear and ease the inflammation and pain caused due to it. It is an excellent remedy for how to remove fluid from the inner ear in adults.
Make sure that the oil concoction is warm. It should be of tolerable temperature and not too hot.
Foods to eat
What you eat directly affects your well-being. Ear infections are caused due to lack of proper diet. Thus if you wish to prevent diseases or accumulation of fluid in the ear, then follow a healthy diet that strengthens your immune system and optimizes the various functions of your body. Include the following foods in your diet that not only protect you against diseases but also promote faster recovery.
- Foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids like walnuts and salmons
- Dark green leafy vegetables
- Vitamin C rich fruits like berries, oranges, etc.
Foods to avoid
Consuming unhealthy foods hampers your immunity and makes you more vulnerable to infections. Thus, you must eliminate such foods that do no good to you. To prevent infection avoid consuming:
- Foods high in sugar
- Gluten-rich foods
- Processed foods
- Fried foods
2. Herbal treatments for drying out inner ear fluid
How to clear inner ear fluid with Dandelion?
Dandelion is an effective remedy for removing fluid in the inner ear. Fluid buildup between the throat and eustachian tube can cause severe infection. It may also result in tinnitus, vertigo, or loss of hearing. Hence, you must treat it quickly. Here dandelion, the amazing herb known for its extensive medicinal uses comes to your rescue. It is an excellent treatment for how to remove fluid from the ear.
How to use?
- Boil a cup of water
- Pour it in a cup over a teaspoon of dried dandelion leaves
- Strain the mixture and drink it
- For effective healing, consume the dandelion drink at least three times a day
Benefits of dandelion
Dandelion is not just a notorious weed; it is a potent herb with miraculous properties. It is natural diuretic and thus, helps in drying out the fluid present in your ear.
Consumption of dandelion herb may cause an allergic reaction in some. It may also interfere with your medications. Hence, consult your doctor before using the remedy.
3. Essential oils for treating fluid in the ear
How to remove fluid from the ear with tea tree oil?
Essential oils are potent plant extracts that can be used to treat a variety of ailments. Some of these are also highly effective in getting rid of fluid buildup in the ear. Of these, tea tree essential oil is one of the best essential oils for how to get rid of fluid in the ear from a sinus infection. You can use it to drain out the fluid, ease the inflammation and clear the ear wax.
How to use?
- Add one to two drops of tea tree oil in a teaspoon of olive oil or coconut oil
- Apply the blend on your ear and around it to reduce the inflammation and clear the microbial buildup Alternatively,
- Soak a cotton ball in the oil blend made using tea tree oil and carrier oil
- Place the cotton ball on the opening of your ear and let the oil seep in the ear
Benefits of Tea tree oil
If it feels like water in the ear, then you might be suffering from an ear infection due to fluid build-up. Tea tree oil can be used by those who feel fullness in the ear. It is because it has potent antimicrobial properties that fight off the microbes present in the ear. Further, its anti-inflammatory properties help ease the pain and inflammation caused due to the infection.
Tea tree oil is highly potent. Hence you must dilute it with a carrier oil. Those with sensitive skin are advised to do a skin patch test to know their sensitivity to the oil. Further, when placing the cotton ball in the ear, keep it at the very opening of the ear, not too inside the ear canal.
Other essential oils for removing fluid in the ear
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Thyme Essential Oil
- Peppermint Essential Oil
|The essential oils listed in this article are available for purchase online.|
4. Home Remedies for clearing fluid in the ear
How to drain fluid out of the ear with vinegar and rubbing alcohol solution?
White vinegar and rubbing alcohol mixture makes for a potent remedy for how to remove fluid from the ear. Use it get rid of fluid behind the eardrum.
How to use?
- Mix white vinegar and rubbing alcohol in the ratio of 1:1
- Pour two to three drops of the solution in the affected ear. You can use a sterilized eye dropper for pouring the oil
- Let it remain in your ear for sometime
- After that wipe out the excess of liquid with a cotton bud
Benefits of white vinegar and rubbing alcohol solution
The solution made using white vinegar and rubbing alcohol is quite effective in removing fluid in the middle ear. Vinegar has potent antibacterial properties that fight off the infection in the ear. Further, its anti-inflammatory properties ease the swelling and pain in the region.
You must dilute the vinegar with alcohol. Also, while wiping off the liquid do not insert the cotton bud inside your ear.
[Read: Cure Airplane Ears Naturally]
5. Natural Treatments for getting rid of fluid in the ear
How to remove fluid from the ear with steam?
Steam can be quite helpful in treating the fluid build-up inside your ear. It helps loosen the wax and remove the fluid from the ear. Learn how to remove fluid from ear using steam and get rid of all your troubles quickly.
How to use?
- Take a small towel
- Dip it in a bowl containing warm water
- Place it on the ear with fluid
- Leave it for ten to fifteen minutes
- Repeat the process three times a day to remove fluid from the ear
Benefits of Steam treatment
Steam helps in opening the Eustachian tube found in the middle ear, thus clearing the passage for the fluid to move out of your ear. It is an effective way of draining ear fluid in adults.
Do not use too hot water.
Fluid build-up in the ear can be troublesome. Get rid of it quickly by using the remedies mentioned above for how to remove fluid from the ear. These are safe and provide you with quick results. So what are you waiting for? Employ them and get quick relief from your ear troubles.