Do you often suffer from indigestion? Spicy foods create trouble create trouble for you? If yes, then you are suffering from abnormal secretion of stomach acid during the digestion process. When your body does not secrete the acid in the required amount, you may suffer from Indigestion, acid reflux, or heartburn.
While temporary fluctuations in stomach acid do not posesevere threat, there are people who may suffer from chronic stomach troubles that are primarily because of abnormal secretion of stomach acid. Learn about the ways for how to reduce stomach acid so that you can get back to your normal life.
What is stomach acid?
Stomach acid or gastric acid is a colorless digestive fluid secreted by your stomach. It contains HCl, various enzymes, and water that kill the bacteria and help in breaking down the food.
What causes stomach acid?
Your stomach produces the gastric acid to digest the food. However, at times, the acid is secreted in large amounts than what required for digestion, and at times the production is low. Both the conditions are not good for you as these hamper the digestion process, can damage your stomach lining or cause troubles like vomiting, nausea, etc.
What is the pH of stomach acid?
The pH of stomach acid is between 1 and 3.
High stomach acid symptoms
Too much stomach acid may cause:
- Acid reflux
Low stomach acid symptoms
Low stomach acid production may lead to:
- Upset stomach
- Brittle nails
- Low stomach acid can cause weight gain
- Undigested food in stool
How to reduce stomach acid naturally?
Stomach acid is vital for your digestion and overall health. However, an increased amount of acid in your stomach can cause much trouble.
Most people tend to pop an antacid to get relief from the stomach acid pain, but one must know that such chemical compounds weaken your stomach secretion over time or can even increase the production of gastric acid, thus, increasing your trouble.
Hence, you must pick natural remedies for how to reduce stomach acid that provide you significant results without hampering your body’s digestion process.
1. Foods that may be of help
Your diet directly affects the secretion of digestive juices and enzymes in your body. Hence you must eat consciously to prevent stomach troubles.
Foods that reduce stomach acid
Too much acid secretion by your stomach may cause conditions like GERD or Gastroesophageal reflux disease. Also known as stomach acid reflux, it is a condition in which you may feel the reflux of stomach acid in the throat which may cause a burning sensation. If you wish to prevent such a situation, then add the following foods to your diet:
- Non-citrus fruits
- Egg whites
Foods that increase stomach acid
Certain foods are known to increase the acid secretion in the stomach and worsen the trouble. These are:
- Citrus fruits
- Spicy foods
- Fried foods
2. Herbal Treatments for lowering down stomach acid
How to get rid of stomach acid with basil leaves?
Basil is one of the best remedies for how to reduce stomach acid. It can provide you with instant relief from stomach acid burning in the throat.
How to use?
- Take three to basil leaves
- Add them to a cup of water
- And simmer it for a few minutes
- Strain the mixture and sip it slowly
- You can drink it a few times a day to get relief from stomach acid
Benefits of Basil Leaves
The basil leaves are known to have carminative and soothing properties that sooth the acidity in your stomach and provide you instant relief from the burning sensation. Drinking basil tea is an excellent way to reduce stomach acid in the lungs. Add it to your diet and get visible results in no time.
Before using basil leaves, wash them thoroughly.
3. Essential Oils for reducing stomach acid
How to reduce stomach acid with Peppermint Essential Oil?
Increased secretion of gastric acid in your body may cause severe digestive troubles. The acid reflux may lead to vomiting stomach acid along with the food. The trouble may get chronic, and you might become too conscious about eating food. If you are facing severe stomach acid troubles, then you may resort to essential oils. Among them, peppermint essential oil is excellent for those who are always in fear of throwing up stomach acid.
How to use?
- Add a drop of peppermint essential oil to your herbal tea
- Make a drink using a drop of peppermint essential oil, one teaspoon of manuka honey and half a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water
- You can even massage peppermint oil on your stomach to get relief from indigestion and nausea
Benefits of Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint Essential oil with its cooling menthol soothesthe digestive distress and alleviates problems like bloating and stomach cramps. It is an effective remedy for reducing stomach acid symptoms.
You must use only high-quality peppermint essential oil suitable for ingestion. Also, you must not consume it in excess as taking in more of peppermint essential oil can cause heartburn.
Other essential oils for stomach acid
Some other essential oils that can be quite effective in treating stomach acid and the associated problems are:
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Ginger Essential Oil
- Lemon Essential Oil
4. Home remedies for getting rid of stomach acid
How to lower stomach acid with Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple Cider Vinegar is one of the most effective home remedies for how to reduce stomach acid and prevent heartburn or acid reflux after a meal. Those suffering from stomach acid burping will also see a significant difference after using this apple cider vinegar remedy.
How to use?
- Add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water
- To it add freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Consume the drink post meal to prevent heart burn, or you can drink it before your meals to boost digestion
Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
The enzymes present in apple cider vinegar help in breaking down the food and reduce acidity. As such it readily relieves you from heartburn. Also, please note that apple cider vinegar is acidic; thus, it also helps in restoring the stomach acid pH level which is necessary for optimal digestion.
You must use raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar only. Hence, before purchasing the bottle have a look at its label to know whether it has under gone any processing or not.
5. Natural Treatments for increased stomach acid
How to reduce stomach acid with exercise?
Stress and anxiety are other prime reasons that may lead to increased acidity. Due to high levels of stress, you resort to unhealthy eating habits that directly affect your digestive health. Hence, you must work upon lowering your stress. While you may not be able to avoid stress, some ways can help you out inefficiently reducing it. Physical activity is one such medium to relieve stress.
What to do?
- Try going out for a walk and connect with nature
- Or you can try meditation and breathing exercises
- Indulge in some fun physical activities like aerobics
Benefits of Exercise
Physical exercise acts as a stress booster. It not only helps you in keeping fit but also prevents various health disorders.
How to prevent excessive stomach acid?
Excessive stomach acid is not at all good for your health, and if neglected it can lead to more severe issues. One can also find himself pooping stomach acid. Hence, it is necessary to follow a healthier lifestyle and adopt the following tips that can prevent the excessive secretion of stomach acid.
- Maintain a healthy weight. For a healthy digestive tract, it is necessary to maintain a healthy weight. Obesity is known to increase the risk of GERD
- Eat smaller portions. Keeping a check on your food portions can prevent overeating and indigestion
- Do not lie down on the bed for at least three hours after a meal
- Switch to a healthy diet. Avoid fried or processed foods and carbonated drinks. There is a direct relationship between the consumption of coke and stomach acid secretion
- Do not smoke
- Avoid liquors as well as caffeinated drinks
- Wear loose-fitting clothes to avoid pressure on your abdomen region
- Raise the head of your bed to about six inches
Stomach acid is a common trouble which can be treated by following some simple remedies. Employ the treatments for how to reduce stomach acid along with the correct lifestyle habits to alleviate your problems.
These are quite effective in relieving heartburn, stomach pain, nausea, and other symptoms associated with excessive secretion of stomach acid. Cure your troubles with them and get back to your normal and happy life. However please note that indigestion and other stomach issues may also be caused due to low stomach acid.