Swimming is one of the best ways to keep your body healthy. But just like everything it also comes with some adversities. Swimmer’s ear is a common ear problem associated with swimming. Glue your eyes to this article for how to get rid of swimmer’s ear and dive into the waters once again.
Natural Remedies for Swimmer’s Ear
What is swimmer’s ear?
Swimmer’s ear is a common ear infection which hampers the outer ear canal. It affects the complete passage from your eardrum to the outer part of your head. Swimming is the chief reason for this problem as water gets accumulated in the ear which creates a bacteria-friendly environment in the ear. It can primary occur when one forgets to use swimming ear plugs.
What causes swimmer’s ear?
- Swimming especially in water with high bacteria level
- Scratches in the ear canal
- Allergies that cause infections
- A narrow ear canal
- Aggressive cleansing of the ear with sharp objects
What are the different swimmer’s ear symptoms?
- Itchy ear
- Ear drainage
- Redness inside the ear
- Drainage of pus and fever in severe conditions
- Swollen ear canal
How to get rid of swimmer’s ear with the help of natural remedies?
Our environment has blessed us with some valuable substances which help you to get away with several health issues quickly. If how to get rid of swimmer’s ear bothering you, then glue your eyes to this article and learn the best natural solutions to win the battle against ear infection.
1. How to get rid of swimmer’s ear by consuming magical foods?
Consuming some essential foods in your daily diet will allow you to tackle all the health problems including swimmer’s ear. You can add these magical foods depending on your choice. Slice them, eat them as a whole, grate them or garnish them as per your convenience.
Turmeric is world-famous for its culinary excellence. However, the ingredient is also rich in vital medicinal properties as well. It also helps to reduce itchy ears allergies symptoms.
How to use?
- You can add turmeric to your daily cooked vegetables as an ingredient
- You can make turmeric milk as well
- In a medium-sized pan add a cup of milk and allow it to simmer
- Now add some turmeric powder to this milk and bring the solution to a boil
- Drink amazing turmeric milk to beat swimmer’s ear infection from within
Turmeric significant component called curcumin which boasts of anti-inflammatory properties which make turmeric an extraordinary painkiller.
Garlic is renowned for being a potent remedy against body infections including ear infections.
How to use?
You can readily make garlic oil at home which is a reliable remedy for how to get rid of swimmer’s ear. Follow the given steps to make garlic oil.
- Crush a garlic clove and put it in a small quantity of olive oil
- Place the ingredients in a pan and switch the fire of the stove on
- Heat the mixture a little bit
- Switch the gas off and allow it to cool down at room temperature
- Strain the liquid
- Add a few drops of this garlic infused oil in the affected ear
This fantastic ingredient helps to restrict the growth of Staphylococcus aureus which is the bacteria that causes swimmer’s ear. Moreover, with its anti-inflammatory effects, it serves as a potent painkiller as well.
- Do not overheat the oil
- Never pour hot oil in the ear
- Always put oil in small quantity in the ear
Foods to avoid
- Packed foods
2. How to cure swimmer’s ear using unusual herbs?
If you are amongst those who do not like going to doctor for every possible reason, then herbal remedies are undoubtedly your best companion. Swimmer’s ear is a mild condition which you can treat by indulging in a few herbal remedies. If you have a torn eardrum, don’t use herbal remedies in any case.
This terrific herb boasts of a good taste and enchanting smell. Apart from this, it also helps to tackle ear infections very well.
How to use?
You can make a beneficial tea from this. Follow the given steps:
- In a saucepan allow a cup of water to simmer
- Add a tbsp of grated ginger into this water
- Bring it to a boil for about 3-5 minutes
- You can add honey to enhance the taste
Ginger tea fights with the harmful bacteria that cause infections in the ear. With its anti-inflammatory properties, it acts as a potent painkiller also.
Holy basil is a magical herb that is full of surprising benefits for the human body. Its use in the medicinal field dates back to the period unknown.
How to use?
- Take fresh, clean tulsi leaves
- In a pan, cook tulsi leaves with mustard oil
- Add slices of garlic to this mixture
- Apply a few drops of the oil in and around the ear
This terrific herb helps to eliminate harmful infection-causing bacteria from the ear, thus making basil a perfect remedy for how to get rid of swimmer’s ear. It also has anti-inflammatory properties bestowing holy basil with an all-in-one remedy status.
- Don’t pour hot oil in the ear
- Always put only a few drops of the oil or else it will clog your ear
3. How to drain out the liquid in ear using essential oils?
Essential oils are a blessing for humans by Mother Nature. They come from aromatic plants and thus boast of an enchanting smell which when inhaled calms your irritable senses. You can use these oils for how to get rid of swimmer’s ear easily.
Chamomile essential oil
Chamomile essential oils serve as one of the best remedies for how to fix swimmer’s ear.
How to use?
- Add a few drops of chamomile oil to 2-3 drops of olive oil
- Make sure that the olive oil is a bit warm
- Apply this oil to your ear
- Don’t pour in the oil if the mixture is too hot
This aromatic oil turns out to be effective against harmful bacteria that cause infections. It also ensures calmness which reduces pain and relieves swollen ear. Its anti-inflammatory properties make it terrific for pain-relieving purposes.
Tea tree essential oil
Tea tree oil has immense potential for shining as an excellent remedy for how to get rid of swimmer’s ear. This oil when mixed with helichrysum essential oil treats swimmer’s ear naturally.
How to use?
- Add one drop of tea tree oil and one drop of helichrysum oil to one tbsp of olive oil
- Mix well with the help of the back of a spoon
- Next, soak a cotton ball into the mixture
- Place this cotton ball gently into the outer ear
- Don’t tuck the cotton ball deep inside the ear
Helichrysum essential oil reduces inflammation and pain whereas tea tree oil clears fungal infection of the ear.
General precautions to follow while using essential oils as a remedy for how to get rid of swimmer’s ear
- Always use essential oils in a diluted state. Dilute them with a suitable carrier oil
- Consult a doctor before using essential oils if you are pregnant
- Keep them away from the reach of kids and pets
- Use 100% pure essential oils always
- Be cautious if you are using them for the first time. Perform a patch test to check any reaction
4. How to treat swimmer’s ear with the help of home remedies?
Specific home solutions work magically in treating ear infections. You can readily opt for them for a practical solution to swimmer’s ear problem. These home remedies include:
Alcohol and vinegar
How to use?
- Mix one tbsp of rubbing alcohol with one tbsp of white vinegar
- Now pour one tbsp of the mixture into each ear
- Place a cotton ball to avoid run off of the solution from the ear
- Leave it still for 5 minutes
- Perform this while laying your ear facing upward
This fantastic home remedy is impressively effective in drawing out water out from the ear and also drying up water that gets stuck in the ear. Vinegar also helps to kill the harmful infection-causing bacteria.
- Never use raw apple cider vinegar
- Be careful about the quantity of the ingredients
- Don’t use this remedy if your eardrum is ruptured or torn
5. How to get rid of swimmer’s ear using supplements?
In this busy world, we often fail to take a balanced diet which in turn hampers our health. However, you can include certain supplements which will help you evade swimmer’s ear effectively.
Omega-3 fatty acids
How to use?
- You can find omega-3 pills and tablets in the market readily
- You can add omega-3 rich foods to your diet as potential substitutes for medicines. Include foods like soybeans, fish, etc.
These vital fatty acids help to decrease inflammation and also give a boost to the proper functioning of the immunity system of the body. They also help to promote healing and relieving of the ailing ear.
Other essential supplements include:
- Vitamin D3
- Vitamin C
- Always use supplements after consulting a doctor
- Be cautious about the dose of supplements
This article enriches you with some of the best remedies for how to get rid of swimmer’s ear. Swimmer’s ear is not a severe condition, but if you don’t pay any attention to it can pose grave threats to the ear.
Instead of taking it lightly, try these natural remedies and homemade solutions to beat the throbbing pain and also drain out the water behind the eardrum which hampers hearing.
You must have surfed every possible site on Google to cure swimmer’s ear, but must have ended in greater confusion. But this article will solve all your queries as it involves in-depth knowledge about swimmer’s ear and its treatment.