Periods are dreadful, but simultaneously a sign of a healthy reproductive cycle. Every woman wishes for a regular menstrual cycle but what she hates is the pain that accompanies her period. Severe abdominal ache can bring your life to a halt. If you do not wish to get affected by your periods, then here are some natural cures for how to get rid of period cramps that can relieve you of the pain every month.
What are period cramps?
Period cramps are nothing but the throbbing pain in your lower abdomen. As a woman, you will not be new to period cramps. Every other woman of menstruating age experiences abdominal pain, during, or before their period. Some even experience cramps after the period which are not a reason to worry.
What causes period cramps?
During your period, the uterus contracts to expel its lining. To help it out, prostaglandins, hormone-like substances are released in your body which are known to cause pain and inflammation. Mild pain is common, but if the cramping is too severe, then it may be due to:
- Uterine Fibroids
- Cervical Stenosis
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
Symptoms of Period Cramps
- Severe pain in lower abdomen
- Loose stools
- Pain in inner thighs, back, and hips
How to get rid of period cramps naturally?
Period cramps are common. However, the pain associated with cramping varies with every woman. Some women might experience only mild pain whereas others may have intense pain that can clinch their routine activities.
While popping up a painkiller is always an option, but such medicines are not great for your health in the long run. Instead, you can opt for some easy home remedies for how to get rid of period cramps. These give you quick relief from the excessive pain.
1. Foods that help period cramps lessen
· How to ease period cramps with ginger?
Ginger is one of the most effective remedies for easing the menstrual cramping. Here is how you can use it.
How to use?
- Take a small piece of ginger
- Peel and grate it
- Add it to a cup of hot water
- Let it infuse for some time
- After that strain the mixture and drink it
- You can consume it three to four times a day
Benefits of ginger
Ginger has potent anti-inflammatory properties that soothe the pain and provide you effective
Excessive consumption of ginger may upset your stomach.
· Foods to eat
A healthy diet can help ease the cramps during periods. It can
- Low-fat dairy products
- Unsaturated healthy fats like olive oil
- Foods rich in magnesium like boiled spinach and almonds
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Besides, drinking warm water can ease the craps fast
· Foods to avoid
Certain foods and beverages are known to cause bloating; hence they should be avoided. These include:
- Foods high in sugar
- Salty foods
- Carbonated drinks
- Caffeinated drinks
2. Herbal treatments for relieving period cramps
· How to get rid of period cramps with 5 Wondrous Home Treatments for How to Get Rid of Period Cramps?
Chamomile tea is one of the best natural remedies for easing cramps after periods or before. Hence, those who suffer from severe cramping must make this tea as a part of their diet to diminish their period pain.
How to use?
- Boil a cup of water
- Add to it two teaspoons o chamomile tea
- Let it steep for about three minutes
- After that, strain the tea
- You can add in lemon juice or honey to enhance the taste
Benefits of Chamomile tea
Chamomile tea is an excellent remedy for how to get rid of period cramps. This aromatic tea is known to contain anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties that help tone you down and ease the pain. You can start drinking chamomile tea for cramps a week before the period or enjoy it every day.
Chamomile tea may cause an allergic reaction. You may consult your doctor before including it in your diet.
3. Essential oils for period cramps
· How to relieve period cramping with Peppermint Essential oil?
Essential oils are potent plant extracts that are being widely used in
How to use?
- Rub a few drops of peppermint essential oil in your palms and inhale it
- Alternatively, you can inhale it directly from the bottle
Benefits of Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint essential oil flushes you with the necessary energy required to be at your best even during your period. Its soothing fragrance calms you down, boost your mood and provides instant energy to manage your routine tasks.
Peppermint Essential oil is highly potent and has a strong aroma that can cause headaches or nausea. If you are not able to tolerate its strong smell then dilute it with a carrier oil.
4. Home Remedies for treating period cramps
· How to deal with period pain with castor oil packs
The thick and pungent smelling castor oil is one of the amazing remedies for how to get rid of period cramps. You can use it to get rid of severe pain during your period.
How to use?
- Fold a clean cloth in two or three layers
- Soak the cloth in castor oil
- After that, place it on the abdomen
- Use a plastic wrap to cover the cloth from the top
- Supply it with heat using a hot water bag
- Leave it on for about an hour
Benefits of castor oil
Castor oil can effectively reduce the cramping. It is because it is anti-inflammatory. It soothes the cramps and eases the pain.
Do not supply heat directly to the cloth
5. Natural treatments for relieving period pain
· How to get rid of period cramps with heat?
Applying heat is the most effective way of alleviating pain during periods. Many women resort to this treatment for easing the pain, and it is known to provide significant results. Hence, if you are looking for how to stop period cramps but do not wish to pop in a pain killer, then you can rely on this method.
How to use?
- Take a heating pad and place it on your lower abdomen
- Leave it on for some time and get fast relief from cramping
Benefits of Heat
Applying heat is an effective way to get rid of the severe abdominal pain during the period. Studies state that using heat was as effective as painkillers like ibuprofen.
· How to deal with period cramp with exercise?
Many women turn on their no activity mode during their period. Well, the bloating, cramping and discomfort may make it difficult for you to exercise. But you must not avoid it altogether. Studies state that exercising can provide you relief from severe cramping.
What to do?
- You can opt for light and fun exercises like aerobics
- Simple yoga postures can also help you relax and reduce the abdominal ache
- Or if you don’t feel like working out, you can go for a walk
Benefits of exercise
Exercise is an effective way to ease period cramps. It improves blood circulation in your body and releases endorphins that can counteract the effect of prostaglandins and reduce the pain.
You must not engage in vigorous workouts or yoga postures that put excessive stress on your abdomen.
Period Cramps vs. Early pregnancy cramps
Cramping can be a sign of your coming period and pregnancy as well. Period cramps usually occur a day or two before your periods and go away by the end of the cycle. Besides, there are also women who may experience period cramps two weeks before period. These cramps can be severe or mild and occur in your lower abdomen region. Early pregnancy cramps slightly differ from period cramps. First these aremild, and secondly, these occur in your lower stomach or lower back. Mild pain is common during pregnancy, but if it is quite severe and lasts longer, then you must consult your doctor.
Cramps before period or during it are common, and these happen to every woman of reproductive age. But that does not mean that you have to live with pain. Bid farewell to intense pain by employing the remedies mentioned above for how to get rid of period cramps. These are quite effective
But you must note that every cramping may not be associated with your period. During your mid-cycle, you may experience cramps with no period but vaginal dischargewhich hints towards ovulation. However, if you are suffering from cramps with no period or vaginaldischarge, then it might indicate vaginal infections or diseases likeCrohn’s. In such a case, you must get yourself diagnosed.