What is a cluster headache?
If you have experienced the pain from a cluster attack, you may be asking yourself how to get rid of cluster headaches? Cluster headache that occurs in alternate patterns or in clusters is among the most painful forms of headache. A cluster headache normally awakens you in the middle of the night with intense pain in or around one eye on one side of your head. It’s a rare variety of headache.
Cluster headache symptoms
- One-sided pain
- Read and watery eye
- Runny nose
Cluster headache causes
The exact reason for cluster headaches is unknown; however, cluster headache patterns suggest the abnormalities in the body due to –
- Tobacco smoking
- Abnormality in body’s biological clock, i.e. hypothalamus
How long do cluster headaches last?
- Cluster headache pain generally lasts 6-12 weeks
- These attacks can occur 1-3 times a day
Cluster headache triggers list
- Sex – Men are more prone to cluster headaches
- Smoking – Many of the sufferers of cluster headache attacks are smokers. However, quitting smoking sometimes has no result on the headaches
- Strong smells – Intense smells can activate these headaches
- Alcohol use – Alcohol will trigger an attack because of the presence of histamine in it
Cluster headaches vs migraines
You can differentiate these as their symptoms differ from each other.
- Sensitivity to light, vomiting, and nausea are the main symptoms of a migraine attack whereas a runny nose, watery eyes, and pain on one side of the head are the main symptoms of cluster headaches
- While hormones appear to play a part in causing migraine headache pain, research is still on to find what really causes the cluster headaches
- Unlike migraine patients, patients with cluster headaches tend to be restless. They usually walk the floor back and forth, bang their heads against the wall and some patients may resort to drastic steps like contemplating suicide
The best natural treatments to get rid of cluster headaches
You may be wondering how to get rid of cluster headaches naturally? Well, here are some amazing methods that will help you.
1. Use of food to get free of the pounding headaches
Eat food high in magnesium
- Foods like green vegetables, peanuts, spinach, almond, bran cereals, seeds and baked potatoes will help you overcome from the major question, how to get rid of cluster headaches?
- Eat food that does not lead to acidity. Include fresh fruits in your daily diet
How to use them?
- Small and frequent meals are best for cluster headaches, and high fibre foods and lean proteins will help slow down the process of digestion and stabilize blood glucose levels. So prepare a schedule to have your meals and follow it religiously
[Read: Home Remedies for Headache]
Cluster headaches and mushrooms
How to get rid of cluster headaches with mushrooms? Mushrooms are very effective as these natural fungi contain powerful psychoactive compounds that can immensely aid you in dealing with the daunting problem.
How to use – Every night, before bed, take half a gram dried mushrooms for about two months.
Side effects – If you fail to take the mushrooms every day for two months the unbearable cluster headaches return.
Precautions – Store them in a dry place and don’t use soggy ones.
Foods to avoid
- Cigarettes and any nicotine products
- Cheap alcohol like – beer, tequila, vodka, and the spirits with high in sugar
- Foods with tyramine – bananas, citrus fruits, pungent cheese
- Dairy foods like yogurt
- Sausages and sandwich meat
2. How to get rid of cluster headaches by essential oils
Lavender essential oil
You can use this oil to relax and to get relief from stress. There’s also strong evidence that lavender oil can control such headaches and you won’t be asking yourself the devil question – how to get rid of cluster headaches?
How to use them
- Apply oil to the temples or forehead
- Have someone knead your shoulders and the back of the neck with the oil and have them massage the side of your skull too
Side effects – Some individuals are allergic to essential oils. They cause skin irritation.
- Put a small quantity on a patch of skin first to check for any allergic reaction. If there is no reaction within forty-eight hours, then you can use the oil
- If you have got existing health conditions, rely on a doctor to know how to get rid of cluster headaches
3. How to get rid of cluster headaches by oxygen and oxygen treatments?
Oxygen for cluster headaches
How to get rid of cluster headaches by oxygen?
You can prevent cluster headache attacks by the inhalation of high-dose, high-flow oxygen.
How to use-
- Breathing 100% oxygen through special masks (non-rebreather) or demand valve, connected to an oxygen cylinder usually for 10-20 minutes
- These are static devices and stay within the home
- A lot of portable cylinders (ambulatory) can be provided to be used outside the home if required
Side effect – Oxygen therapy may cause “oxygen toxicity.”
Cluster headaches – Water treatment
The water treatment is extremely easy, however hard to stick to.
How to use –
- Drink a glass of water every 30 minutes or at least every 60 minutes throughout the day
- It may seem hard to drink glasses and glasses of water, but it’s the magical potion to cure your headache
- If the headaches do not let you sleep in the night, have a few more glasses
- Adhere to this routine for a few days for better results
Side effects – You tend to become a frequent visitor to the toilet, however, it’s a small price to pay, right?
4. How to treat cluster headache with CBD(Cannabidiol) oil?
Chronic cluster headaches might continue for more than a year, or pain-free periods might last less than one month. If you ask yourself how to get rid of cluster headaches that are chronic, there is one ray of hope called the CBD oil treatment.
CBD and cluster headaches
The best remedy for cluster headaches is the CBD oil. It manages to reduce your pain and stress.
- CBD oil can be taken through tincture, oral, or vaping
- You can also try taking CBD pills or edibles
How to prevent cluster headaches?
The following activities can help to prevent cluster headache’s occurrence. These can help to keep the symptoms at bay or can increase the time gap between the headaches.
Target to practice yoga daily for 20 minutes to an hour for five days a week. Doing so reduces stress and thereby reduces recurrent cluster headaches.
Cut out nicotine:
You should rethink before smoking. Staying away from nicotine and similar stimulants can lead to consistent sleep and headache free days.
A daily workout routine works wonder in preventing cluster headaches as the workouts improve brain’s blood and oxygen circulation resulting in stress free day.
Cluster headaches are also known as “suicide headaches” but it’s your responsibility not to go nuts and follow the remedies. You must take special care of yourself just by staying away from light, from noises and the most important thing you can do is just breath, breath, and breath!!! You can treat cluster headaches easily if you incorporate these remedies in your daily life and daily routine. A year later, you won’t be asking the question, how to get rid of cluster headaches, anymore.