Coconut oil is renowned for having excellent moisturizing effects. It has been a frequent inclusion in a skincare routine. The oil is mostly used as an all-over dry skin remedy, however, we can use coconut oil for chapped lips.
Lips do not have oil glands and cannot protect themselves against chapping, dryness, and cracking, which is a common condition in winters for both men and women.
Whether your lips are dry, chapped, or just need some extra love and care, few drops of coconut oil can make your lips appear plump, pink, and healthier.
Why Should You Use Coconut Oil for Chapped Lips?
Lips become chapped for a variety of reasons- whether to excessive lip licking. Whatever the cause, coconut oil is an all-natural way to hydrate your pout. The minerals in this sweet oil contain plenty of moisture that effectively cures the dryness and makes your lips soft and smooth.
- Coconut oil has moisturizing properties and is therefore ideal for primary treatment of chapped lips.
- Coconut oil produced helps soothe inflammation. It contains high moisture and has analgesic (pain-relieving) properties. Therefore it is beneficial in treating chapped and cracked lips.
- Coconut oil is also known as an emollient(1). It is a natural moisturizer that is useful in keeping the skin moist.
- Other than just acting as a moisturizer, coconut oil has many other benefits as well. It works as a disinfecting and antimicrobial agent that keeps the lips germ-free, and as a result, protects different cracked skins from infection. It also acts and works as an anti-inflammatory agent and helps in reducing swelling.
How To Use Coconut Oil for Chapped Lips?
Using it During the Day
It gives the best results if applied immediately after bathing, but you can apply it whenever you want, depending upon the severity of the condition.
You need to put a few drops of coconut oil on your lips and dab it using your fingers. You can mix coconut oil with a thickening agent(2) such as beeswax or shea butter before applying it.
Using it At Night
Coconut oil can wonders when applied during the day time. However, you can also use it as a nighttime treatment. Add equal parts of coconut oil and honey to form a creamy consistency. Dab this on your lips and rinse off the next morning.
[Read: Natural Remedies to Lighten up Dark Lips]
DIY Coconut Lip Balm
1. Coconut Oil and Aloe Vera Lip Balm
- One tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1/2 tablespoon of carnauba wax
- One teaspoon of aloe vera gel
- Heat coconut oil and carnauba wax in a pan and let it melt.
- Let this mixture cool down.
- Now add aloe vera gel in the above mixture and mix it properly.
- Then pour this concoction in a container and let it sit for a few hours.
Your coconut oil and aloe vera lip balm are ready to use.
[Read: Coconut Lip Balm for Chapped Lips]
2. Coconut Oil and Olive Oil Lip Balm
- One tablespoon of coconut oil
- One tablespoon of carnauba wax
- One teaspoon of olive oil
- Melt coconut oil, carnauba wax, and olive oil in a pan on low heat and mix it properly.
- Pour the above mixture in a container and let it set.
Your Coconut and Olive Oil lip balm are ready to use.
How to Get Maximum Moisture
To reap the maximum benefits of coconut oil, you can add it other with other moisturizing ingredients, such as:
- Shea butter
- Raw Honey
[ Read: Remedies to Get Rid Chapped Lips ]
Coconut oil helps moisturize and protects against inflammation. You can always store a large batch of the home-made coconut oil lip balms ahead of time to help you when you are on the go.
Also, always opt for pure coconut oil to ensure you get the best of coconut oil. Coconut oil doesn’t carry any side-effects. However, if you do notice irritation or extremely dry and chapped lips, ensure to visit a doctor.
1. How Do You Heal Chapped Lips Fast?
You can keep your lips healthy in three simple steps:
- Exfoliate. Gently rub your lips with a homemade mixture of olive or coconut oil and sugar and wipe clean or a splash of warm water.
- Wear lip balm regularly.
- Apply a dry lips treatment overnight.
2. What’s Best for Severely Chapped Lips?
For severely chapped lips, products that contain beeswax and petroleum help hold moisture for a longer time. Some ointments like petroleum jelly and coconut oil, cocoa butter, and body lotions can also be helpful.