Burdock root consist of vitamins A, B6, C, and magnesium. There are multiple benefits of burdock root. It’s a biennial herb.
Benefits of burdock root
There are numerous health benefits of burdock root that helps in different conditions.
- Burdock root removes harmful toxins from your blood. It also helps in purifying the blood and prevents cancer.
- It helps in the regulation of blood pressure. Burdock root is being used for a long time for the treatment of skin problems.
- Burdock Root helps in the cardiovascular system by relaxing blood vessels and arteries. It contains inulin, a soluble and prebiotic fiber that helps in the improvement of digestion. (1)
- It reacts with food for healthy gut bacteria. It fights against frequent cold and sore throat. Researches are now provided many insights that burdock root may fight infection.
- It kills biofilm bacteria such as plaque that causes a cavity. Its purifying ability is its significant benefits to fight with viruses and bacteria. Burdock roots contain various minerals that might have activity against bacteria and inflammation.
- It also protects your skin from wrinkles and acne (2). Burdock roots are commonly used as a digestive aid.
Early researches found that Burdock root uses for breast cancer, diabetes, wrinkled skin, and fever. It has been used for stomach conditions and severely dry skin. It also contains oil as well as compounds named tennis and plant sterols.
Now the Question Is How to Use Burdock Root?
Burdock roots can be easily used at home to solve various problems. Here is the most effective remedy of burdock roots. There are multiple benefits of burdock tea which can be useful for your health.
- Select fresh burdock root, so that you can get the best results.
- Now, you need to clean the burdock root. You can use a sharp knife or peeler to scrape the root carefully.
- Once you are done scraping the root, now, chop the root for about two tablespoons, coarsely.
- Add these roots in a stainless pot filled with three cups of filtered water.
- Bring to a boil and then lower the heat till 30 minutes. Cover the pot with a lid.
- Now, keep the mixture for 20 minutes more on low heat.
- Now your burdock tea is ready to drink. Serve hot.
Burdock root tea is diuretic, so do not over consume it. If you don’t have fresh burdock root, use dried burdock roots. You can drink this tea throughout the day as a detox tea. Burdock tea is also included in some cancer treatments, HIV, bacterial infection, and kidney stones.
Some of the Burdock tea benefits are improving the immune system, lowering the blood pressure, and healing the damaged liver.
Apart from tea, Burdock roots can be used in several foods. It is also known as gobo and is popular in Asian dishes.
- Bring fresh burdock roots and wash them thoroughly to get all the dirt off.
- Now with the help of a sharp knife, slice the roots into round shapes.
- Put your round burdock roots into a bowl and add a little amount of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix it well.
- Now, spread the roots onto a sheet pan.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F for about 15 minutes.
- Roast the roots in the oven for 15 minutes until it gets a golden color.
- Now flip the roots on the sheet pan and keep them back into the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Now take them out and shift the roots into a dish.
- Add a little amount of soya sauce and sprinkle sesame seeds on it.
It is not only a healthy diet but also super easy to cook. Direct intake of burdock roots is considered to be safe. Burdock root intake is beneficial for your immune system to work correctly.
Burdock roots can be used in powder form too. You can add that powder in your green or black tea to boost your immune system, and it will work as an antioxidant. You can use burdock root powder while cooking your food. It is essential to purify your blood. Apart from powder burdock roots supplement, and capsules are also available in the market.
Burdock root side effects are also significant. It could trigger some serious side effects if it interacts with other herbs, supplements, or medications. Another side effect of the burdock root is hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). It may cause the risk of bruising and bleeding. It is better to consult your doctor if you are considering to consume Burdock roots during your pregnancy or breastfeeding period. And for many other reasons, you should be very careful about taking herbs. The use of herbs should be under the supervision of a health care provider.
On a definite end, burdock root is a natural ingredient that provides you a healthier life. It is very useful for blood purification and the immune system. Burdock roots have countless benefits. It helps in reducing bacterial infection. At the same time, it is highly affordable and easily available.
1. Is Burdock Root Good for the Liver?
Yes, it protects liver cells from acetaminophen. It may protect the liver from damage due to alcohol consumption.
2. What Vitamins Are Present in Burdock Root?
It is rich in vitamins, includes vitamin B6, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and manganese.
3. What Minerals Are Present in Burdock Root?
It contains potassium (380), magnesium, phosphorus (51mg) and Calcium (41 mg).