Yarrow (chillea millefolium) is often used as a first-aid plant. Yarrow leaves, crushed or powdered can be applied on a wound to stop bleeding and also, reducing the probabilities of wounds.
Yarrow essentially has anti-inflammatory properties and can treat acute inflammations, chronic blood flow, internal hemorrhage, colds and fever, and varicose veins. It is also reported to cure heat in the digestive tract, hemorrhoids, and inflamed skin.
The yarrow essential oil benefits are ample. Read on to know more.
- Yarrow essential oil is blue and extracted through solvent extraction, steam distillation, and supercritical carbon dioxide extraction.
- It helps to treat varicose veins.
- It is anti-inflammatory and helps in treating hemorrhoids.
- It is an excellent remedy for arthritis.
Benefits of Yarrow Essential Oil
1. Relaxes Muscle Pain and Joints
The oil is rich in antioxidants. It shows anti-inflammatory properties that help treat muscle cramps during menstruation, rheumatism(1), or muscular spasms caused during exercising or training. A massage with this oil helps to clear the uric acid build-up in joints and helps to reduce spasms.
2. Is an Antioxidant
Yarrow has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. A study mentioned that these features widened the applications of this oil for medical purposes and also can be used as an ingredient for culinary purposes. The study involved the main components of the oil that are artemisia ketone, camphor, linalyl acetate, and 1,8 cineole.
3. Tightens Pores and Controls Oily Skin
Yarrow essential oil skin benefits include its ability to tighten the skin and reduce skin pores. As this is high in Vitamin E, it delays aging of the skin and reduces the scars leaving you with nourished skin.
4. Reduces Respiratory Problems
The oil has anti-spasmodic effects that ease out troubled breathing by relaxing the bronchial tissues and clearing mucus. Placing it on a tissue and inhaling helps in the blocked nose.
5. It is Anti-Spasmodic
If spasm happens in the respiratory system, it can cause a cough and can lead to convulsions if it is related to the nervous system. In circumstances like these, yarrow essential oil can be relaxing and have an anti-spasmodic effect on nerves, intestines, and respiratory tracts.
6. It acts as an Astringent
It works well for gums, as a contraction in gums means secured teeth. It strengthens the roots and hair follicles and reduces hair loss. It prevents wrinkles and skin from aging and gives a younger look.
7. Eliminates Gastric Problem
Untreated gas issues can lead to severe problems like burning sensation in the stomach, chest pain, indigestion, loss of appetite, etc. Ingesting this oil takes out gas from intestines downwards and doesn’t let the gas build-up.
8. Reduces Scars and Acne Spots
This oil has cicatrizant property that can give the expensive scar removal creams and ointments a run for their name. Clause and Decker (2006) stated tyrosinases as essential for pigmentation, and it plays an important role in the healing of wounds and in the immune response. The essential oil regulates tyrosinases activity and suppresses the production of melanin(2).
[ Read: Get Rid of Scars on the Face ]
9. Regularizes Menstruation
Irregular menstrual cycle can be treated by using this oil. Other problems like headaches, abdominal cramps, fatigue, and fever can also be treated with this oil.
How to Use It?
Things you will need
- One ounce of any carrier oil.
- Two drops yarrow essential oil.
- Two drops lavender essential oil.
- One drop peppermint essential oil.
- One drop rosemary essential oil.
- Mix the drops in a bowl and pour it in an air-tight dispenser.
- Apply and massage gently, where there are cramps thrice daily.
- You can also dilute further with increases quantity of other carrier oils.
Preventive Measures to be Taken
- Excess usage of this oil can cause a neurotoxic effect.
- Side effects may include symptoms of headaches, skin irritation if used regularly.
The Bottom Line
The yarrow essential oil has multiple uses for health benefits. It is a natural alternative to harmful medications to treat dry skin, menstrual cramps, arthritis, and other diseases, but it is always safer to consult a doctor before using it. Certain diseases restrict the usage of the oil as it can aggravate the pre-existing condition.
[ Read: Tea Tree Oil Benefits ]
1. Is yarrow essential oil good for skin?
It is beneficial as it accelerates skin blood circulation and helps to open skin pores. You can also use it as an astringent for organic skincare. Its anti-inflammatory properties are a bonus for the skin.