Maintaining a state of mental-emotional balance and well-being can be challenging in today’s fast-paced society. Everyday stressors can quickly add up, leading to more serious mental health conditions. Many lifestyle habits and holistic treatment modalities can be used beneficially in conjunction with conventional treatment approaches.
Botanical herbs and flowering plants have been used for centuries since the time of ancient Egypt and in many indigenous communities for healing emotional imbalances. In the 1930s, English physician Edward Bach created a series of 38 flower essences, known as Bach Flower Remedies.
He saw physical illness as a result of emotional imbalance and energetic blockages leading to a lack of harmony in the body. He found specific flower essences that could address various negative emotions and bring an individual back to a state of emotional equilibrium.
This would allow the body to return to a state of mental, emotional, physical, and spiritual harmony.
What are Flower Essences?
Flower essences, also known as flower remedies, are herbal medicine infusions made from the flowering parts of plants. These bioenergetic remedies contain the unique energetic vibration of plants, which have healing effects on mental-emotional well-being.
They help you heal negative emotional patterns, move through energetic blockages, and better manage everyday life stressors. Restoring inner calm and balance on the mental, emotional and energetic levels frees up resources and energy for the physical body to heal.
Benefits of Flower Essences
1. Provide Pain Relief
Topical cream-based flower essences have been shown to be beneficial for easing the pain of carpal tunnel syndrome (1). Easing the mental, emotional tension, and stress-related to physical pain gives the body more energy and resources to focus on healing the physical cause of the pain.
2. Reduce anxiety
Flower essences help to bring a sense of calm and balance when going through stressful, anxiety-provoking times. Studies have shown people feel less irritable and impatient, more clear-headed, less anxious, and report improved concentration (2). They are effective for reducing anxiety in both adults and children (3).
3. Improve Mental Emotional Wellbeing
Flower essences can address many negative emotions, including fear, depression, anxiety, worry, stress, anger, hatred, resentment, trauma, indecision, uncertainty, oversensitivity, loneliness, nightmares, lack of focus, and lack of confidence.
They help manage everyday stressors and support a smoother movement through major life transitions. They can be especially helpful during childhood and pregnancy mental-emotional changes.
4. Balance Menopausal Symptoms
Flower essences may be effective in managing and providing relief to menopausal symptoms, including mood changes, insomnia, hot flashes, and night sweats (4).
5. Reduce insomnia
Flower essences work to balance and resolve mental-emotional issues that can negatively impact sleep quality and duration. With less inner tension and turmoil, the body is able to enter into a relaxing, restorative sleep.
How do Flower Essences Work?
Flower essences contain the vibrational imprint or energy signature of the plant. They work on the subtle energy field of the body to create a positive mental-emotional shift and bring the body back into balance. They act as a catalyst for big emotional change.
Flower essences bring awareness to your inner state, so obstacles can be overcome and released. Psychoneuroimmunology studies the mind-body connection and how thoughts, emotions, and stress affect immune health and physical well-being.
Negative states of being such as fear, anxiety, and anger lead to increased levels of inflammation in the body, contributing to illness. Releasing negativity allows for positive states of being to return, bringing a greater sense of inner calm and overall well-being.
Difference Between Flower Essences and Aromatherapy Essential Oils
Flower essences and essential oils are both herbal medicine products made from plant materials but prepared in different ways. They work complementary to each other but from opposite pathways to affect the mind, body, and spirit continuum.
Essential oils work through the physical senses to affect the mental, emotional and subtle energy field, while flower essences work from the subtle energy field to affect the mental, emotional, and finally, physical well-being.
Essential oils are concentrated plant extracts gathered from flowers, leaves, fruit, or bark of a plant. They are rich in phytochemicals, have a strong aromatic smell, and need to be diluted in a carrier oil or used in a diffuser to avoid irritation or toxicity. Caution is needed for use with certain health conditions and illnesses.
Flower essences are diluted floral extracts that only contain the energetic and vibrational imprint of the plant. They contain no phytochemicals, no aromatic smell, and do not need to be diluted for safety. Essences are gentle and safe for all health conditions.
Choosing the Appropriate Flower Essences
When choosing flower essences, you can select anywhere from 1 up to 7 essences to take at a time, but selecting 3-5 at a time is optimal to address the root cause of concerns. Since essences are diluted solutions working on a subtle energetic level, if you choose the wrong essence for your situation, there will be no effects, either positive or negative.
Two ways to find and select appropriate essences for your condition include:
1. Consult With a Holistic Health Practitioner
Find a health provider that has specialized training in flower essences. During the initial visit, the provider will do a thorough intake and ask a series of questions to better understand your mental-emotional state and current life challenges.
They will recommend a specific flower essence or a personalized blend of essences to address your concerns.
2. Research and Self Select Essences
Go directly to the website of companies selling flower essences to read the profile descriptions of each of the remedies to understand what mental-emotional challenges or blockages they can be helpful for releasing. You can purchase flower essences online or in-person at a health food store or supplement shop.
How to Take Flower Essences
Flower essences can be used orally. They can be taken individually or as a set of essences combined into a personalized blend. Benefits can be noticed after a few days or weeks, with optimal results within 1-2 months.
Discontinue use once you experience the benefits and move through any emotional blockages back to a sense of balance. If you do not notice any benefits, then consider selecting a different essence.
Topically they can be added to the following:
- Creams or lotions
- Bath, shampoo, massage oils
- Misting spray
- Essential oil diffuser
- Applied to acupuncture points or chakra energy centers
- Directly from the bottle, take 2 drops of flower essence under the tongue or add 2 drops to a glass of water and sip throughout the day. This can be an expensive way to take the essence as you quickly use up the bottle.
- Create a blended, personalized mix: Into 1oz (30ml) bottle, add 2 drops of each flower essence (max of 7 essences), add 1tsp of preservative, either brandy, glycerin, or apple cider vinegar, and top with water. From this blended mix, take 4 drops, 4 times daily. Store in fridge or cupboard. Take away from food.
- Directly from the bottle, take 1 drop of flower essence in a glass of water or juice sipped throughout the day.
- Create a blended, personalized mix: Into 1oz (30ml) bottle, add 2 drops of each essence, add 1tsp glycerin or apple cider vinegar, and top with water. From this blended mix, take 4 drops, 4 times daily, until the emotional balance is restored.
Precautions to Consider
- Flower essences should not be used as a substitute for seeking proper medical care for mental health conditions, though they can be used in conjunction with conventional treatment options such as pharmaceuticals, psychotherapy, and counseling.
- They are generally considered safe for everyone, including children, adults, pregnant women, and the elderly.
- Both alcohol-based and vegetable glycerin-based essences are available. Pregnant or breastfeeding women, children, and people with alcohol dependence should use glycerin-based products.
- In rare cases, essences can bring buried emotions to the surface to be healed and released, which can lead to temporary mental, emotional discomfort before balance and calm are restored.
- Always check with your doctor before starting any new health regimen to ensure safety and prevent any complications.