Crunch raw, cook, boil, steam, decorate a Chinese delicacy with it, and capsicum will do justice to all your cuisines. It gives a chance to all cooks right from your mother to the chef to let out their creativity. It demonstrates the quality of fitting in anywhere in the kitchen along with multiple capsicum health benefits.
What is Capsicum?
Capsicum is an evergreen vegetable originated in America. Not only is it diverse in names and colors, but the capsicum health benefits are a good steal for the buck(1).
Capsicum comprises vitamins A, C and K, carotenoids and dietary fiber.
Capsicum Health Benefits:
This vegetable changes its color from green to yellow to orange to red, green being the rawest and red in its ripest form. This vegetable provides numerous health benefits. Check out the beneficial uses of capsicum below-
1. Capsicum Improves Eyesight and Prevents Age-Related Eye Problems
Since capsicum is rich in vitamin A, it leads to healthy eyesight, particularly during night vision. It is high in carotenoids, beta-carotene and vitamin C which prevent age-related eye issues such as cataract and macular degeneration. People in their 50s should incorporate capsicum in their diet to avoid such problems.
2. Capsicum helps in Burning Calories
Capsaicin is one such component in capsicum that supports weight loss. It activates thermogenesis and increases the metabolic rate without keeping the heart rate and blood pressure in control.
The vegetable is full of dietary fibers which keep you full. It thus ensures a satisfying meal and controls the frequency of eating, thus leading to weight loss.
3. Capsicum Health Benefits during Menopause
Capsicum chili, one of the capsicum fruits, consists of flavonoid. This nutrient is known to relieve menopausal symptoms.
4. Capsicum overcomes Iron Deficiency
Red bell peppers are rich in vitamin C and meet almost 300 percent of its daily requirement. This nutrient is a good source of iron and helps overcome iron deficit in the body.
5. Capsicum Curbs Respiratory Illness
Flavonoids present in capsicum help fight respiratory diseases such as wheezing, emphysema, asthma and lung infection.
6. Anti-Cancer Capsicum Health Benefits
Excessive inflammation and oxidative stress increase the possibility of cancer. These causes can get eliminated with the regular consumption of phytonutrients.
The vegetable consists of enzymes and lycopene which help prevent various types of cancer about the prostate, bladder, cervix and the pancreas. It is one of the best capsicum health benefits
7. Capsicum reverses Ageing
The bell peppers are high in antioxidants. They produce free radicals and work as a measure of skin protection. Having bell pepper juice is the best home remedy to the healthy and youthful skin.
8. Capsicum improves Heart Health
The capsicum is warm. It improves blood flow and increases the oxygen providing capacity of organ tissues. The flavonoids in capsicum play a role in preventing coronary heart disease. Other capsicum health benefits include vasodilatation, regulation of blood flow and decreased heart rate.
9. Capsicum boosts Hair Quality
Capsicum extract has proven to be excellent for hair growth. It prevents hair fall and leads to voluminous and quality hair. However, it needs to be applied carefully due to its burning sensation.
How to use Capsicum?
It is used in a variety of cuisine such as Indian curries, in salads, for Chinese preparation, in soups, and pickle making. More so the unusual varieties are also used as a garnish. The other capsicum health benefits include beauty enhancement and medicinal properties.
Here are recipes for your taste buds and health:
1. Capsicum Vegetable
- Wash the capsicums, cut into two and remove the capsicum seeds
- Dice the capsicum into small pieces
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds
- Once the seeds splutter, add capsicum
- Add red chili powder and stir well
- Close the container with a lid and let it simmer until the capsicum cooks
- Once wholly cooked add salt and gram flour to it and mix well
- Cook again for 2 to 3 minutes. Garnish it with coriander, and it is ready to be served with any bread
2. Capsicum Juice
- Preheat the grill to the optimum temperature.
- Grill the capsicum from all sides until overdone
- Place it in a plastic bag until it is cool
- Peel the skin and remove capsicum seeds, the ribs, and the stalk
- Cut it and blend it in the mixer along with tomato juice and celery
- Once the puree is ready to add tabasco and stir it well.
- Pour it into glasses.
- Garnish it with a pinch of paprika and celery leaves. Serve immediately.
Precautions to be taken:
· Capsicum during pregnancy and breastfeeding:
The application of capsicum on the skin is safe during this period. However, there is not enough proof on its oral intake. It is better to avoid eating food that is high in capsicum as it leads to skin damage in children due to capsicum allergy.
· Keep it away from children:
Do not apply capsicum on the skin of children below two years of age.
· Damaged skin:
Do not apply capsicum on damaged skin
Capsicum might lead to excessive bleeding during or after surgery. Hence avoid eating capsicum at least a fortnight before the scheduled operation.
Unguided consumption of capsicum leads to diarrhea, heartburn and upset stomach.
This vegetable is a champ in all areas. The capsicum health benefits are countless, and it plays a significant role in most of the vital regions such as food, medicine, and beauty. So do grab a dozen capsicums the next time you go grocery shopping.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to store capsicum?
Do not store capsicum in ordinary plastic bags since it causes them to sweat. Keep them in fridge storage bags and consume within five days.
2. How to choose capsicum?
While choosing capsicum, you need to check the skin of it. The surface should be firm and glossy. It should not get shrunk. There should be no spots on it.
3. What is capsicum essential oil?
Capsicum Essential Oil is the concentrated version of capsicum. It is used to manufacture pepper spray.