Air Conditioners are becoming the need of humans. Living without Air conditioner makes people feel that their prestige is reducing in their society. Earlier, the Air Conditioner was a luxurious product.
Only people with high-income groups, generally called VIPs, used to live in the Air-conditioned rooms. Reserving train seats in AC Chair cars or an AC room in a hotel or lounge were said to be Rich persons’ normal lifestyle.
The time changed, now the people who used to speak the wrong about Air conditioners and those using it, are themselves entered the same box.
Until they did not have it, they were well known for its side effects, and their words always showed how much they care about the environment and healthy lifestyle. But after acquiring the Air conditioners(1), the same people forgot all that and started to speak about its benefits.
Well, this is human nature. As there was a story also, which we have studied in our childhood, “Fox and the Grapes,” when the fox was unable to eat the grapes, it consoled herself by saying that those grapes were sour and vice-versa. But, our words or our negligence cannot change the truth.
Air-conditioners may help you feel cooling for some time, but they have major adverse effects on our health and environment. The biggest reason is that air conditioners never beat the heat; rather, they help us avoid the heat.
And it is a life fact that avoiding a problem never solves it but finding a permanent solution does.
Now many of you will think that it is not true. Whenever we feel hot, we sit in AC, and it relieves the heat of the body by giving cooling effects. Thus, it beats the heat. Is it so?
Just think again for a moment and answer this question. If AC can beat the heat, why are these installed in the closed rooms only, and their effect reduces if there is any ventilator or the door remains open? Why can’t we have it in open space for cooling effect? Now, the main point strikes.
Right, Answer for this is, “Yes, it cannot beat the heat.” Then what can?
It is also true that Air conditioners have become so common now, especially in the offices, lifts, shops, restaurants, buses, and other general places where we need to visit daily or more frequently. So, we cannot keep us away with its effects at these places but can control where we can.
We have to choose those methods that can provide a long-term cooling effect on our bodies. This will not happen only with external applications of products but with the intake of cold potency.
So, let us have the best ancient and traditional cooling remedies that will help us beat the heat and strengthen our immunity and prevent the ill-effects of high temperatures.
Moreover, it will help us to safeguard ourselves and our environment against the adverse effects of excessive use of Air-Conditioners.
Side-Effects of Excessive Use of Air-Conditioners
Air-conditioners emit many harmful gases while providing cooling, such as the greenhouse gases and the poisonous gases as well. On one side, these gases pollute the environment and become one of the reasons for Ozone depletion, and on the other side, they show many harmful effects on our health.
Some of the most experienced adverse effects of these gases are:
- Dry Eyes
- Dry Skin
- Respiratory Problems (Asthma, etc.)
- Infectious Diseases
- Throat irritation and Hoarseness
- Heat Intolerance
Above provided are the most common side-effects, there can be many other too.
Air Conditioning Alternatives to Stay Cool This Summer
We can take some basic steps to keep ourselves away from the bad effects of Air-Conditioners. As per Ayurveda, the best and basic step towards this is to keep you fit and healthy with a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle, including exercise.
Being healthy and fit helps you to tolerate heat more than sick persons. It also keeps your energy levels high. In addition to it, the following basic guidelines will help you a lot with this.
- Bath daily, even twice a day in summers, it will help you to be refreshing and cool for long hours.
- While in office or at other places, try washing your face with plain water at least after every 1 hour, it will help you fight the high temperature better.
- Use the Air-Conditioners at homes or offices only when there is no other option available. At first, try to relax the body by breathing in fresh air or sitting under a fan.
- If there is much need to switch on the AC, keep the temperature between 21-25oc and not below that. And switch off the AC when the room temperature becomes normal.
- Always try to wear full-sleeves clothes whenever you are going to a place where there are Air conditioners installed; this will help you be safe against skin irritation and dryness.
- Always keep a water bottle with you. Staying hydrated helps our body to be at normal temperature and resist the heat in the environment. It keeps you active and energetic also.
- Avoid coming in direct contact with the air that is being released by Air Conditioners. Keep a proper distance.
- Modify your diet and add some food items with cold potency in your diet to increase your heat tolerance capacity and strengthen your immunity.
[Also Read: How to Avoid Air Conditioning Sickness]
Best Natural Food Items that can help you to Beat the Heat in summers
The Best food items consisting of fruits and vegetables that can help you resist the summer heat may be water-based, rich in electrolytes, organic, fresh, and packed with all essential nutrients. Some of the best choices are:
- Coconut Water
- Almond Milk
- Green Smoothie (with Green leaves such as Mint, Wheatgrass, etc.)
- Red Smoothie (with Red grapes, apples, tomato, etc.)
- Cow’s Milk
- Cow’s Ghee
- Homemade Yogurt / Curd
- Herbal Tea
- Green Tea
- Pine Apple
- Rose Syrup with Water / Milk
- Rose-Petal Jam
- Green-Leafy Vegetables
- Soy Products (tofu, etc.)
Following the above guidelines and consuming such cooling fruits and vegetables daily will help us to boost our immunity and enjoy life in summers without closing us in AC rooms.
Adopt all such ways and enjoy the summers to its fullest without being sick. These will not only make you healthier but also make your environment green, clean, and healthy.
Stay Healthy!! Happy Summers!!
About the Author:
Dr. Vikram Chauhan – MD (Ayurveda) is the CEO and Founder of Planet Ayurveda and Krishna Herbal Company. He is an author of Book – God’s Manual For Healing. He is an expert Ayurveda consultant from Chandigarh and practicing in Mohali, India.