Tulsi is referred to as Basil all over the world. It is considered to be the queen of herbs because of its amazing inherent health benefits. The plant is highly therapeutic in nature besides being a part of a religious culture in several parts of Asia. The most popular method of administering Tulsi leaves is in the form of Tulsi tea, check out these Tulsi Tea Health Benefits.
How to make Tulsi tea?
Tulsi is easily digestible and helps to do away with excessive fluid secretion from tissues. It can penetrate deep into the tissues and has essential anti-helminthic properties.
The required tulsi tea ingredients include:
- 1/4th a cup of dried and raw tulsi leaves
- 3 teaspoons of tender, dried and raw tulsi barks
- 1 clove
- 1/4th teaspoon of pepper
- 1/4th teaspoon of powdered cumin seeds
- 4 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of pure honey
- ½ a teaspoon of lemon (optional)
Method of Preparation of Tulsi Tea
- Warm the clove, cumin seeds, and pepper in a saucepan.
- Grind the warmed up spices into a fine powder.
- Chop the tender barks and tulsi leaves.
- Mix the powdered spices and the leaves and barks and pound the mixture until you obtain a coarse powder.
- Boil the water in a saucepan and add the ground spices, barks, and leaves.
- Let it boil until the volume of water reduces greatly to just a cup of it.
- Let the liquid simmer down.
- Strain out the concoction into a cup and add some honey and a few drops of lemon juice to it.
Drink this tea with slow sips to detoxify your body and stay fit and healthy.
The Numerous Health Benefits Of Basil Or Tulsi Tea
The wonder herb is a natural cure for hundreds of ailments and has been in use for centuries for its miraculous healing nature. Elucidated below are 15 incredible health benefits of basil tea.
1. Tulsi tea benefits for stronger Body Immunity
- Tulsi is known for its anti-fungal, antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- It fortifies the immunity system and protects the body from antigens and infections.
- Regular consumption of warm basil tea, especially during weather changes, can help to stay physically fit and healthy.
2. Tulsi tea benefits for Respiratory Problems
You might be suffering from severe coughing fits, mild cough, and cold or a grave condition of bronchitis or asthma.
- Consumption of a cup of tulsi(1) tea twice or thrice a day can instantly relieve you of the symptoms, the constant dry coughing, and running nose.
- Basil is antitussive in nature which helps to suppress coughing while its expectorant property assists the riddance of unhealthy phlegm.
- Tulsi also aids in relieving the patient from congestion in the chest with its content of essential oils like eugenol, cineole, and camphene.
Thus, basil tea is highly beneficial for respiratory disorders.
3. Supports Cardiac Functioning
- Tulsi tea is rich in magnesium.
- This mineral aids in the prevention of cardiac diseases by ensuring healthy circulation of blood throughout the body.
- It is magnesium that is highly effective in the prevention of deposition of cholesterol in blood vessels.
- This protects the individual from atherosclerosis.
- Regular consumption of tulsi tea helps to lower cholesterol naturally and prevent cardiac disorders.
More Resources: Home Remedies for Hypertension
4. Cures High Fever
Several diseases like malaria, dengue, typhoid etc are associated with burning fevers that worsen the physical condition of the patient.
- Tulsi is an amazing antibiotic that naturally cures high fever and accelerates the process of recovery.
- The antibiotic and germicidal properties of Tulsi attack the microbes that cause fevers and thus eliminate the very cause of the disease.
5. Relieves Excessive Stress
- Regular consumption of tulsi tea controls the level of cortisol (popularly known as the stress hormone) in the body and pumps healthy blood circulation.
- This helps in the release of excess stress and makes the mind and body feel refreshed and healthy.
Read More: Natural Remedies For Anxiety
6. Tulsi tea benefits for Oral Hygiene
The antimicrobial properties of basil help to fight the bacteria and germs that work inside the mouth and attack the gums, roots, and enamel of the teeth.
- Tulsi helps to protect the mouth from dental disorders like pyorrhea, gum boils and mouth ulcers.
- Regular consumption of tulsi tea keeps the mouth fresh and prevents staleness of breath.
However, direct chewing of tulsi leaves can affect the fine enamel of teeth. So have a cup of tulsi tea to maintain proper dental health.
7. Tulsi tea benefits for Hair And Skin
Tulsi is rich in antioxidant properties that make it an amazing health tonic for skin and hair.
- The polyphenols contained in basil protect the skin from aging, wrinkles, and blemishes.
- The antifungal properties of tulsi cure itchiness and dryness of scalp and control loss of hair.
8. Protects Against Diabetes
Regular consumption of tulsi tea helps to control the level of glucose in the blood.
- Tulsi helps to enhance the rate of metabolism of the body, thus converting the excess sugar ingested into energy.
- This naturally lowers blood sugar level and helps to protect the body from hyperglycemia or diabetes.
9. Tulsi tea benefits for Arthritis
- The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of basil make it highly effective in curing aching joints, which is the major symptom of arthritis.
- If you are suffering from painful arthritis, then regular consumption of a cup of hot tulsi tea twice or thrice a day will help to cure the inflammation of the joints most effectively thus getting rid of the throbbing pain naturally.
Know More: Natural remedies For Inflammation
10. Heals Headache
A headache is an ailment that affects everyone these days owing to the deprivation of sleep, hectic schedules, and long hours at work, wrong food habits and the like. Stress is one of the major causes of painful headaches. Nothing beats fatigue, stress, and headaches arising from them, like a cup of hot tulsi tea.
- The soft fragrance of tulsi naturally cures migraines and sinuses by aromatherapy.
- If you are suffering from a terrible headache then have a cup of hot tulsi tea sweetened with a tablespoon of honey to cure a headache instantly.
More resource: Home Remedies for Headache
11. Tulsi tea benefits for Weight Loss
- Basil tea works on the body metabolism, which in turn helps in burning away of excess fat.
- The body metabolic rate gets boosted with the help of tulsi tea which aids in the shedding of excess body weight(2).
12. Improves Digestion
- Tulsi tea is immensely beneficial for healthy digestion, and proper absorption of proteins, carbohydrates, and lipids.
- Regular consumption of tulsi tea improves digestion and helps in the smooth functioning of the liver.
13. Tulsi tea benefits for Renal Health
Tulsi is known for its detoxifying and diuretic properties.
- Regular consumption of basil tea promotes healthy renal functioning.
- It prevents the kidneys from excessive secretion of harmful components like uric acid and creatinine.
- Tulsi tea aids in the dissolution of kidney stones.
- For patients who are suffering from kidney stones, can drink a cup of tulsi tea thrice daily to do away with the pain of kidney stones.
14. Reduces the Risks of Cancer
- Tulsi helps in detoxification of the body and prevents the spreading of cancerous cells.
- This reduces the risk of getting affected cancer(3).
- The anti-carcinogenic properties of basil or tulsi aids in the natural cure of oral and breast cancer.
15. Protects the Nervous System
Tulsi tea is a highly effective natural remedy for nervous disorders like epilepsy, seizing fits, convulsions etc.
- It helps to soothe the central nervous system and improves the coordination of motor sensory nerves.
- Regular consumption of tulsi tea helps in the maintenance of body coordination and movement.
What can be the Possible Side-Effects of Tulsi Tea?
A few tulsi tea side effects include possible interference of breastfeeding and pregnancy and should be avoided just to be on the safe side. Apart from this, if you are scheduled for any surgery, then stay away from basil tea for at least a couple of weeks before and after the surgery.
1. Is Tulsi tea a stimulant?
Response: Tulsi tea often acts as a stimulant because of its rejuvenating and energy-boosting properties. It can be treated as a natural adaptogen and can be taken before going to bed to go into a deep and sound slumber throughout the night.
2. Is Tulsi tea caffeine free?
Response: Essentially, pure tulsi tea does not contain any caffeine. However, if Tulsi tea is blended with any other variety of caffeine tea, then that tea might not be as healthy as a pure tulsi tea.
3. Is Tulsi good for weight loss?
Response: Tulsi accelerates the rate of metabolism and as such aids in loss of excess body weight.
4. How is Tulsi useful for hair?
Response: Tulsi establishes healthy blood circulation in the scalp. It prevents itchiness and dryness of the scalp, protects it from dandruff and lice and promotes healthy growth of hair.
5. What are the health benefits of tulsi ginger tea?
Response: Basil ginger tea is replete with wonderful health benefits, some of which are written below:
- Stress release
- Alleviates common cold and viral flu
- Aids digestion and more