Reasons Why You Should Try Hazel for Sunburns
Sunburn can be excruciating. If you are exposed to the sun without sunblock, you might get red skin that is painful and can hurt when touched. When you expose yourself to the sun without any protection, the harmful UV rays burn the outer layer of your skin.
Exposing yourself to the sun makes you prone to a lot of skin diseases like Cancer too. High UV rays can cause skin damage, form wrinkles, and cause dark spots. There are a lot of sunscreens and home remedies that you could try for a sunburn, a very popular one being witch hazel for sunburn(1).
Facts About Witch Hazel
- Witch Hazel grows as trees and shrubs. It grows up to 12-30 ft in height.
- The blooming months for Witch Hazel are from October –December at times that can last up to March.
- Witch Hazel plant can survive in the wild for 20 years and is a perennial plant.
- Witch hazel is very prevalent in the cosmetic and medical industry, used for manufacturing mouthwashes, skincare products, and body care products(2).
How Does Witch Hazel Work on Your Sunburn?
Witch Hazel is an astringent that is extracted from the bark of the Witch Hazel plant. This plant has been used for medicinal purposes since ancient times. The twigs of this plant are steamed to extract the witch hazel.
Witch Hazel for sunburn is a handy solution as this has a lot of benefits for the skin.
- It fixes blemishes on the skin. Sunburn causes scars on the skin and can cause cracks. Witch Hazel is known to cure it.
- Witch Hazel can fix blisters that are common symptoms of sunburn.
- Fixes bruises! You can treat bruises by applying a few drops of Witch Hazel twice in a day.
- Witch Hazel reduces inflammation of the skin caused by sunburn and reduces the peeling and flaking, and after-effects of sunburn.
- Witch Hazel traps the moisture on to the skin and prevents dry skin.
The Right Ways To Use Witch Hazel
These remedies work if you follow the correct procedure to use Witch Hazel for Sunburn.
1. Pure Witch Hazel (Direct Application): drops for damaged skin- You nee Witch Hazel and two cotton balls. Add a few drops of Witch Hazel to the cotton ball and dab it over the sunburnt skin.
Do this at least thrice daily heal the sunburn.
2. Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera – Take fresh Aloe Vera gel and few drops of Witch Hazel. Mix them all in a clean bowl and apply it to your affected skin. Let it stay. Repeat every day.
3. Witch Hazel and Vitamin E – Take a small clean bowl and cut a Vitamin E capsule to extract the oil from it. Mix a few drops of Witch Hazel. Decide on the quantity depending on the area that has been burnt. Apply this mixture over the affected area.
[Also Read: Top 5 Ways To Treat Sunburn]
How to Make Witch Hazel
You can also make Witch Hazel on your own by following this procedure:-
Take chopped twigs and barks and place it in a large Jar and cover it using Vodka. Let it sit for six weeks, away from sunlight and moisture.
Now the mixture is ready. Mix it with water to dilute the concoction and apply it.
Another procedure to make it a water-based solution is to boil the chopped twigs and bar in a heavy-bottomed pan. The twigs must be submerged in water. Once the water in the pot reaches boiling point, reduce the heat let it simmer for about half an hour.
Take the pan off the heat and ensure the twigs are still covered in water. After 24 hours (next day) strain it and store it in a glass jar. This mixture is now ready to be used in a few days.
[Also Read: Treat Sunburn Using Home Remedies]
The Dos and Don’ts
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, you must see your doctor before trying this for sunburn.
- Do not use Witch Hazel for sunburn if you are suffering from Eczema.
- Hake sure you apply Witch Hazel on clean skin at all times.
- Do not wait if you experience symptoms of breathlessness, itching, nausea after using Witch Hazel. Immediately see a doctor.
Summing it up, it is important to understand that although exposure to the sun is required, exposing yourself to the sun during a beach vacation, or long hours in the sun without sunblock can lead to severe damages. Sunscreen is a must before you go out to ensure your skin stays protected from the harmful rays of the sun.
1. What Are the Methods of Using Witch Hazel for Sunburn?
You can use cotton balls to apply the mixture or add a few drops of essential oils and Aloe vera to make it the best elixir for treating sunburnt skin.
2. How Frequently Can I Use It?
As it is a natural product, you can use it as many times you want. It works best if used every day for at least three times a day.