Pumpkin is a fruit that is highly dense in nutrients. Pumpkin flowers are referred to as the bright yellow flowers that are full of nutrients required for your body. It is usually referred to as a vine and found in hot and humid climates. It needs well-drained soil to grow in.
The pumpkin fruit is a nutritional punch with its flowers and leaves proving health benefits. You can use the pumpkin plant, retrieve the seeds, leaves, and flowers, and utilize them for culinary purposes. The male pumpkin flowers are born from the vine while the female pumpkin flower arises of a fruit that is there at the base near the stem.
Pumpkin flower nutritions are as follows. For every 33 gms-
- Vitamin C- 9.2 gms
- Vitamin B9- 19 µg
- Vitamin A – 32 µg
- Iron- 0.23 mg
- Phosphorus – 16 mg
- Vitamin B2- 0.025 mg
- Magnesium- 8 mg
- Selenium- 0.2 mg
- Vitamin B3- 0.228 mg
How Does Pumpkin Flower Benefit You?
The health benefits offered by it are as follows
It has high amounts of Vitamin C that provide immunity against the common cold. It increases the iron absorption in the body and strengthens the body’s immunity enabling it to fight infection.
Fertility in Men
It has a vast amount of B9 that is required for sperm creation. Research says that men with low folate have a defective chromosomal structure in their firms. An increase in dietary folate improves the quality of sperm and treats infertility problems in men.
this flower is a storehouse of Vitamin A. Vitamin A is an essential vitamin for healthy eyes. It improves vision and keeps eyes moist and improves vision at night.
it builds immunity of your body. The iron is useful to boost immune functions in the body.
Effective Bone Formation
One essential mineral required for the formation and strengthening of bones is Phosphorus. It is found in abundance in pumpkin flower and helps the growth process of healthy bones and teeth. It has calcium content that also aids bone formation. It prevents osteoporosis(1), which is caused by the degeneration of bones.
[Read: Pumpkin Seed Oil Benefits]
Pumpkin Flower Recipes That You Must Try
1. Sauteed Herb Pumpkin Flower Recipe for Weight Loss
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup of pumpkin flowers
- 1 tbsp basil flowers
- 1 tbsp parsley, ½ tsp salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Garlic clove crushed and minced.
- Take a frying pan and put it on medium heat. Add oil, and once hot, add minced garlic.
- Next, add the pumpkin flowers and squash flowers. Sprinkle some crushed basil flowers.
- Add some salt and pepper for seasoning and toss to coat and cook them well.
- Once the flowers wilt, serve.
2. Pumpkin Flower Stir Fry for Immunity
- Pumpkin flowers
- Mustard seeds
- Red chilies
- Grated coconut
- Turmeric powder
- Curry leaves, and cumin seeds.
- Clean the flower and chop them. Mix it with grated coconut, chopped green chilies, chopped small onions, and salt.
- Take a pan and heat. Add oil, mustard seeds. Once it starts to splutter, saute the red chilies, curry leaves and then add chopped onions.
- Add the flour and coconut chili mixture and mix v well.
- Cover and cook until the mixture is cooked thoroughly. Once it is done, remove the lid and cook for another 5 minutes.
Serve it hot with rice.
[Read: Pumpkin Seed Oil for Hair]
3. Pumpkin Flower Stir Fry for Immunity
- 4 cups of diced pumpkin flowers
- 1 poblano chile
- 1 cup butter
- 10 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of chopped carrots
- 2 cups of tomato puree
- 6 cups water,
- 1 sprig epazote
- 4 cubes of chicken bouillon
- 4 cups diced zucchini
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat your oven grill and set it at a distance of 6 inches from the source of heat. Use an aluminum foil and line your baking tray.
- Cut the poblano pepper into two halves and remove the stem and seeds. Place it, cut down on to the baking sheet.
- Cook for 5 minutes until the pepper blackens.
- Transfer to a bowl and seal in plastic wrap.
- Once the steam cools in 10 minutes, peel off the skin.
- Take another saucepan and melt the butter. Then, add onions and garlic and saute well.
- After that, add onions, corn, zucchini, and carrots.
- Once they are tender and cooked, add the tomato puree, epazote, chicken bouillon cubes, and peeled poblano.
- Once this mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Next, pour this soup in a blender until its smooth.
- Add this paste to a saucepan and let it simmer on medium heat. Add chopped flowers and simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Add the cream and mix well. Serve hot.
Although there aren’t many side effects of using pumpkin flowers, you must avoid it if you experience stomach ache, nausea, or giddiness.
Balance is the key to anything, so add it moderately to a recipe.
Consuming it every day can treat the common cold and reduce symptoms of coughing, runny nose, and irritation in the throat. If consumed frequently, it can also reduce your risk of cataracts and macular degeneration(2) that are co-related to aging. This fruit is an excellent alternative to harmful medications, invasive and artificial methods available to treat plenty of ailments that can be easily fixed by adding this magical flower to your diet.
[ Read: Benefits of Pumpkin Leaves ]
1. Is Pumpkin Flower Edible?
Yes. The flowers are safe to it and are very popular in east India as popular dishes, especially in Bengali cuisines.