How many times a day do you fix your hair? Or comb them? Or tie them up if they are a mess? How many days do you feel insecure when you have a bad hair day and feel extremely beautiful when you have a good one? Is your answer infinite for all of the above questions? If so, yes you are the norm of human society in which hair is a priceless feature that defines a big part of your identity. And it is great that you feel pretty because of your hair!
That been said, maintaining your hair, repairing them and keeping them healthy is a war that you fight daily. With pollution, mental stress, unhealthy food, hair sprays and hair straightening, one of the major enemies you have to fight in this war is dandruff.
How do you win this losing battle? No worries, there is a straightforward answer, i.e. by using Olive oil for dandruff. Yes! The same olive oil that you use for your salads and your food. The olive oil that keeps you healthy has many other uses. Europeans have used olive oil from before it was the ‘It’ thing.
For skin, olive oil is great to remove makeup and acts as a moisturiser. It is an excellent substitute for shaving cream and is also rejuvenates your skin! What’s next? It is a spa for your head!
Causes of Dandruff
- Irritated and oily skin
- Lack of shampooing
- Fungal infection
- Dry skin
Symptoms of Dandruff
- Spotting greasy looking flakes on the scalp
- Excessive itching on scalp
Risk factors for dandruff
- Hormonal conditions
- Oily scalp
- Medical reasons
Why and how to use Olive Oil for dandruff
- A great conditioner: Olive oil is a replacement for the conditioner you are currently using. Olive oil makes the brittle fuzzy mess of your hair, soft and nourished. Apply hot olive oil 30 minutes before getting ready and see for yourself: It takes care of the intangible locks of hair. Also, it retains moisture, so that is extremely helpful during challenging winter. Applying olive oil in your hair and gently running your hands through it is a quick fix to get rid of split ends.
- Goodbye Dandruff flakes: This brings me to the next use, gets rid of dandruff! Olive oil with a little bit of lemon massaged gently, gets rid of dandruff. If you have an itching scalp, olive oil is a great solution to get rid of your scalp irritation issues as well.
- Hair follicle treatment: Another use of olive oil is that it strengthens your hair follicles, the natural nourishment properties in the oil unclog your hair follicles and promote hair growth. So how this works is, olive oil removes excess sebum which clogs hair follicles. Thus, applying olive oil daily unclogs follicles and helps your hair grow longer. Also, a hormone called DTH (dihydrotestosterone) which narrows the shafts of the follicle. Olive oil stops this from happening, hence, prevents hair loss too!
- Shiny hair means light hair: Olive oil is rich in vitamins and locks keratin. This leads to healthier hair, which is strong and bright. Applying olive oil to your hair, 30 minutes before styling it, smoothens it and makes it manageable. This prevents hair damage and adds lustre and volume to your hair and makes it naturally beautiful.
- Nobody likes fungal infection: Has olive oil surprised you enough? Well, don’t answer yet! Olive oil keeps your scalp healthy and promotes better blood circulation, and fights fungi and bacteria.
Types of olive oil for dandruff
You have your extra virgin olive oil which has been an age-old remedy for dry scalp and curly hair. The virgin oil acts as a natural conditioner, making your hair smooth and shiny!
On the same lines we have Organic olive oil and cold pressed olive oil, this again promotes your hair, skin and nails healthier.
Home Remedies – How to use oliveoil for dandruff: DIY recipes and application guidelines
So now we know the uses of Olive oil and how it is a natural medicine for your hair in trouble. Now here are a few DIY recipes that you can try at home for less cost if you do not want to purchase the oil.
- Take half a cup of olive oil and add two tablespoons of honey to it. Mix it well and apply it. Gently massage your scalp and leave it for ten minutes. Then wash it off with a gentle shampoo, for example, a herbal shampoo. Wrap your head with a hot towel to seal in the moisture.
- Take one-two tablespoons of olive oil and add half a spoon of coconut oil to it. Mix it well and warm your olive oil. Don’t overheat it as it will burn you. Then take the oil and apply it to your scalp gently. Make partitions in your hair so that your entire scalp is covered. And then take some oil in your hand gently apply it to the root of your hair and run your hand through it. This will make sure that you are covering each strand of hair, to promote healthier hair.
- Another recipe is to add fenugreek seeds to olive oil and heat it, then apply it to your hair. This is again great for hair growth and to get rid of dandruff.
Other home remedies
- Apply some curd over your hair and massage it thoroughly. Leave it on for an hour and then wash off with warm water.
- Wet your hair. Take one tbsp of baking soda and massage on to your scalp. Leave it on for a few minutes and then wash off with a good shampoo.
- Heat one tbsp of coconut oil and equal mix quantity of lemon juice in it. Massage this mix gently on your head. Leave it on for half an hour and then wash off with shampoo.
Olive oil for dandruff is excellent for smooth, shiny and healthy hair which are free from dandruff. Following a few simple steps give you the solution to your hair problems with a natural ingredient. But do not forget that for best results a few other lifestyle changes are also required. You need to have a good diet, exercise and protect your hair from the harsh sun rays and polluted environment.