People around us have a lot of expectations from the external appearance of individuals around them. The face is the most prominent part of one’s body. Scars on the face like acne scars draw immediate attention if they are anywhere on the facial skin. Acne is a skin condition of inflammation that results in spots and pimples. Acne is commonly seen among youngsters in their puberty stage. The condition of acne is not dangerous, but it can leave behind scars.
Acne is not only restricted to face, but it also appears on the back, arms, neck scalp and many more places in the human body. There are also cases of cystic acne, which are severe acne. They appear when the pores of the skin get blocked and causing inflation and infections. Another primary reason for acne in the face, scalp acne, and back acne is the clogging of pores and excess secretion oil and the presence of bacteria.
Olive oil for acne is one of the best alternatives when compared with costly treatments provided by health experts. It helps in fighting against acne as well as also against hormones that trigger the breakout of acne.
Causes of Acne
Our skin has oil glands under the surface, and the pores on our skin are connected to these oil glands. The oil produced in these glands, Sebum, helps in carrying dead skin cells out of the body through the pores and follicles.
When these pores and follicles get blocked, the Sebum builds up under the skin and can get infected. It is the root cause of acne. This build-up of Sebum under the skin can be caused by:
- Hormonal Changes
- Medications that contain androgen and lithium
- Greasy cosmetics
- Emotional stress
Olive oil for acne
Olive oil is considered as a most effective proponent for removing excess oil. This oil is said to possess properties with the drastically high content of vitamins and antioxidants. Olive oil is extracted from olives which are fruits from the olive tree. They have a right amount of materials stored in them namely, saturated fats, and omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids. They that properties that help reduce inflammations and also helps reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
Why use Olive Oil for Acne
Olive oil is known to have large amounts of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory property, and prevention from strokes and heart diseases. The best quality of olive is that it suits all skin types, be it extremely sensitive or even normal and dry skin conditions. There is a wide variety of olive oil depending on the method of extraction.
- Extra virgin olive oil: this oil is considered the highest and top grade of pure olive oils. This oil is extracted from olive fruit using the process of cold mechanical extraction. They do not use any external solvents or artificial methods while extraction, hence purely virgin. This oil is the most expensive of all other types of olive oil. Every step of removal of an extra virgin olive oil is monitored with great care.
- Virgin olive oil: this oil is the lesser grade when compared to extra virgin olive oil. This olive oil is mostly used for consumption purposes. They have a high heat retention property, and also helps retain more nutrients when incorporated with food.
- Organic olive oil: 100% organic olive oil is extracted from premium quality of olive fruits from olive trees. It is said to be obtained naturally and is in a very potent form. It is supposed to imbibe better properties since being organic without any preservatives and fillers.
- Cold pressed olive oil: they very name suggests that the method of extraction for this type of olive oil is cold pressing, wherein the oil is extracted by crushing the olive fruit. It doesn’t contain any fillers or bases. Cold pressed olive oil is said to the purest form of olive oil since there is no heating involved. They also do not contain any artificial or synthetic preservatives in them.
How to use Olive oil for acne?
Diluting the oil with any other oil of choice will enhance the existing properties along with the added oil benefits.
- Take a few drops of any of the olive oils mentioned above onto your palms and apply it on to the skin.
- Massage the skin in circular motions and let the oil sit on the face for few minutes.
- Wash the face with lukewarm water afterward to get rid of excess oil, clogged pores, and all the bacteria and grime accumulated on the skin.
Safety Precautions and Side Effects:
Even though olive oil can suit all skin types, it is better to get confirmed if in case it would work for your benefit. Apply a small quantity on the skin to check for any allergic reactions will avoid further infection and complications. It is advised to consult health experts with using olive oil on pregnant women and small children since it can cause skin rashes and allergies to sensitive skin.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Ingestion of highly potent olive oil should be avoided without any instructions from health experts.
- Storing of oil in a dry place is essential which will keep all bacteria away.
- It is good to know what works best for your skin based on individual skin type. Therefore, it is better to consult an expert to know what will work best for you and will have better effects on the skin.
- Knowing the skin types is very important since olive oil is known to causing damage the skin barriers for dry skin types.
- Also, people with conditions like eczema should consult health expert since olive oil can worsen the situation.
- Olive oil can be given only to babies above six months of age since birth.
Other home remedies
- Applying raw aloe gel from the aloe plant or stem is an excellent remedy for acne marks. Aloe Vera is said to imbibe properties like an anti-bacterial and an astringent. Also, it also contains antioxidants that help repair damages in the skin.
- Using powdered orange peel mixed with water forming a paste as a face mask. Keep it on for 10 minutes and after that rinsing it off. Orange peel controls the excess secretion sebum on the surface of the skin. Moreover, it also helps boost production of collagen to repair damaged skin.
Treating acne and acne scars without spending too much money is now possible, thanks to the amazing healing properties of olive oil. Before using olive oil, it is essential to know all the necessary dos and don’ts, and also the precautions that must be taken care of to avoid further complications. Consulting an expert before starting any home treatment is desirable in order to avoid any side effects.