Mouth ulcers are terribly painful but not hard to get rid of. When you are suffering from a mouth ulcer, mere eating becomes the most agonizing task of the day, especially if the food is a little bit spicy, or salty or tangy.
The ulcer starts to burn on coming in contact with the food and the sensation lingers on till you have drunk at least a bucket full of water to ease the pain (Just kidding.).
There are hundreds of different medications available at the drugstores that offer permanent cures for the cankerous sores inside your mouth. But the last thing that you need to do is erode your intestinal lining with a dose of chemicals.
So, how to get rid of canker sores? And how to heal mouth ulcers? There are several highly effectual natural remedies for cankerous ulcers that you can prepare and practice at home to cure the ulcer in just a few days or even less.
Enlisted below are a few canker sore causes that you can avoid to prevent the occurrence of mouth ulcers.
- Smoking is the primary cause of mouth ulcer. Quit smoking at once to prevent the regular recurrence of mouth ulcers.
- Spicy food or food rich in citrus content often cause mouth ulcersand should be avoided to prevent the same.
- Poorly fitted braces and dentures tend to rub against the inner walls of the cheek and cause sore lesions to develop. Visit your dentist and get them fitted in properly to avoid ulcers in your mouth.
- Hormonal imbalance during puberty, pregnancy, and menopause leads to mouth ulcers.
- An overdose of painkillers is a reason for mouth ulcer too.
A few symptoms of mouth ulcer that are visible include a round, whitish sore inside the mouth, swollen and painful skin around the ulcer, tenderness of skin, a little spot of bleeding and burning sensation from salty, spicy and sour food. Wondering how to get rid of mouth ulcers overnight? We have a few remedies that are a good help.
12 Highly Effective Mouth Ulcer Home Remedies:
The numerous beneficial properties of honey make it a highly effective mouth ulcer home remedy.
- Take a teaspoonful of raw honey and smear it directly on the ulcer
- Keep applying the honey in every two hours as the applied honey gets ingested accidentally or dissolves away with the saliva.
The property of antimicrobial action of honey aids in healing the cankerous lesion in your mouth pretty quickly.
The coat of honey prevents any food from getting in direct contact with the ulcer and as such enables you to eat with ease. The ulcer heals within a couple days at the most.
2. Baking Soda and Water
How to cure mouth ulcers with baking soda(1) and water? The steps are as follows-
- Take a tablespoon each of baking soda and water in a glass bowl.
- Stir the mixture to make a paste of thick consistency.
- Smear the paste on the mouth ulcer and on the swollen skin around it and wait for the paste to get dry.
- As soon as the paste dries up, cleanse out your mouth with water and gargle for some time.
- Repeat this three to four times a day and not more.
The mouth ulcer will heal in a day or two. Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is alkaline in nature and thus neutralizes the acidic nature of the mouth ulcer. This helps to heal the mouth ulcer.
3. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil might be popular across the world but most of us still strangers to its remarkable healing properties. It’s one of the best mouth sore remedy.
- Take a teaspoonful of coconut oil and smear it on the mouth ulcer just before going to bed.
- Let this stay on for the night.
- The antimicrobial properties of coconut oil heal the mouth ulcer naturally.
Coconut oil is analgesic in nature as well besides being anti-inflammatory and is highly effective in alleviating the pain of mouth ulcer and curing it as well.
4. Salt and Water
Wondering how to get rid of mouth sores with just salt and water? Well, it’s extremely beneficial.
- Take a tablespoon of salt and add it to a glass of warm water.
- Gargle thoroughly for a minute and a half with the lukewarm salt solution.
- Gargle with plain warm water to eliminate the salty taste from the mouth.
- Repeat this twice a day for two to three days for the mouth ulcer to heal.
Salt is antiseptic in nature. It will soothe the sore lesion and heal it too.
Toothpaste is an excellent home remedy for painful mouth ulcer. However, gel-based toothpaste is not suitable. Use herbal toothpaste for the perfect cure of canker sores in the mouth.
Good herbal toothpaste is rich in antimicrobial(2) properties and greatly reduces pain and swelling in the mouth.
- Take a tiny globule of toothpaste on your index finger and smear it all over the ulcer including the swollen skin around it.
- Leave it on till the paste dries up in about five minutes.
- Rinse your mouth to get rid of the alkaline taste.
- Repeat this twice a day for a couple of days or so and the mouth ulcer will heal.
6. Clove Oil
- To cure the cankerous ulcer in your mouth take a thin piece of cotton and dip it in clove oil.
- Lay the oil soaked cotton on the ulcer and wait for a few minutes till the oil gets absorbed into the canker and the sore skin around it.
Clove is rich in antimicrobial properties and contains eugenol which aids in healing the ulcer as well as in alleviating the pain. The application of clove oil will induce a severe burning sensation but push through the sensation to heal the ulcer.
Find the best clove oil online.
7. Coconut Milk
Stop thinking about how to heal mouth sores? It can be done with coconut milk also, as it is very effective amongst other home remedies for mouth sores.
- Fill a cup with coconut milk and gargle with it thrice a day for two to three days to heal the ulcer and to soothe the pain.
- You may also take a tablespoon of coconut milk and swish it around in your mouth for half a minute before throwing it out.
Coconut milk has strong antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties which accelerate the healing process.
Check out the best homemade coconut milk online.
The herb licorice is rich in anti-inflammatory, demulcent and analgesic properties.
The anti-inflammatory property relieves the swelling of mouth ulcers and the pain while the demulcent property forms a protective and soothing coat over the cankerous sore.
- Take two teaspoons of licorice and add it to a glass of warm water.
- Mix this well and let the mixture cool down in a couple of hours.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly with this licorice water twice or thrice a day to heal the mouth ulcer.
Check out this licorice powder online
9. Slippery Elms
The bark of the slippery elm tree is rich in nutrients like calcium, tannin, manganese, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, carotene, zinc, selenium and vitamins and is a good mouth ulcer remedy.
- To heal mouth ulcer with the slippery elm take a teaspoon of the powdered bark of elm and mix it with as much water to make a thick paste.
- Smear the mouth ulcer with this elm bark paste and leave it on for a few minutes or so.
- Rinse your mouth to remove the paste as soon it gets dry.
- Repeat this at least thrice a day for two to three days and the mouth ulcer will heal.
Check out the organic slippery elms product online
10. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is rich in antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties. It soothes the pain along with the inflammation caused by the mouth ulcer and heals the cankerous lesion as well. Aloe Vera is loaded with amino acids and vitamins C), B6, B2, and B1.
- Take an Aloe Vera leaf and slice it open to extract the gel.
- Apply the Aloe Vera gel to the mouth ulcer.
It will produce a cooling sensation that will aid in soothing the pain of the mouth ulcer.
Check this page for the best aloe vera gel online
11. Black Tea Bag
How to heal mouth sores with Black Tea? This is one of the simplest of home remedies for canker sores. Black tea is rich in tannin that acts as an herbal astringent.
- Take tea bag of black tea and moisten it with water.
- Hold the moist tea bag against the mouth ulcer and press it gently till the tea juice secretes out and the ulcer gets smeared with it.
- Let the juice get absorbed into the affected area.
- Rinse your mouth after about half an hour.
- Repeat this twice daily till the mouth ulcer heals completely.
Sage helps to soothe the inflammation and pain of mouth ulcer and heal it completely, hence making it a wonderful home remedies for ulcers.
- Take sage leaves, three tablespoonfuls in a bowl and mix it in boiling water.
- Mix this well. Let the mixture stand for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth using this concoction for three to four times in a day.
- Or you can dry a handful sage leaves(3) in the sun and then grind the dried leaves into powder.
- Sprinkle this powder on the mouth ulcer and do this for a few times in a day for the mouth ulcer to heal.
1. Can stress cause canker sores?
Stress and anxiety often lead to cankerous outbreaks inside the mouth and is an eminent canker sore causes. And if not directly, then mouth ulcers occur as a side-effect of anti-anxiety and anti-depression medication and drugs.
2. Can you pop canker sores?
It is not advisable to pop canker sores as it only slows down the healing of the mouth ulcer and might result in more pain and bleeding as well.
3. Can mouth ulcer be healed by essential oil for canker sore symptoms?
Thieves oil is a wonderful combination of the essential oils of cloves, cinnamon bark, eucalyptus, lemon, and rosemary. This blend of oils when applied to the cankerous lesion helps in soothing the pain and healing it.
You may also take a teaspoon of oil in your mouth and swish it around in your mouth for about 30 seconds and then throw it out. Repeat this twice a day on a daily basis till the mouth ulcer heals completely.
4. Can acid reflux cause canker sores?
Acid reflux often triggers the development of cankerous sores on the inner lining of the mouth. Avoid richly spicy food to avoid acidity and consequently mouth ulcers.
5. Is canker sores herpes?
Cold sores and canker sores might sound the same but canker rest assured that canker sores are not herpes.
Herpes is another term for cold sores referred to the cluster of pus-filled blisters developed on the skin of any part of the body. Canker sores occur inside the mouth and are most certainly not herpes.