You are all set for the solo singing performance, but got caught a cold in the nick of time. Bummer, right? Well here’s a secret that will help you to avoid taking sudden and apologetic rain check at this one- try lemon for a sore throat!
Children between the age of five and fifteen years are the most affected when it comes to sore throat and common colds. While 70% of the cases involve viral infection, the rest 30% are triggered by a bacterial attack. But lemon juice can cure the soreness, disease, swelling, and irritation in no time.
Read on to find out more about how to use lemon for sore throat and the common cold.
Ways to Use Lemon for Sore Throat
1. Lemon and Water Gargle For Sore Throat
Lemon juice helps to break down and expel the accumulated mucus in the throat and chest, thereby providing relief from congestion. Lemon juice is rich in vitamin C(1), which works to boost the immunity and compel the body to fight harder against the infection.
Lemon juice inhibits bacteria in the throat and treats the soreness and infection with high efficiency. Here’s how to prepare the gargle solution.
- Add a tablespoon of freshly extracted lemon juice to half a cup of lukewarm water. Stir well to prepare a solution.
Gargle with the solution thrice or four times a day to cure the soreness and inflammation of the throat.
[Also Read: Natural Treatments for Sore Throat]
2. Lemon, Honey, and Ginger Gargle For Sore Throat
Gargling with a concoction of honey, lemon, and ginger for a sore throat helps to get rid of the germs and microbes that inflict infection upon the respiratory tract. Honey works up a smooth coat on the throat hat soothes the irritation and inflammation.
The warmth of the solution provides relief from the soreness while lemon inhibits microbial action. Ginger(2), contains gingerol that is known for its antimicrobial properties. Besides, the pungent juice of ginger acts as an excellent expectorant and expels excess mucus.
- Add a tablespoon of honey and a teaspoon of crushed and juicy ginger to half a cup of hot water.
- Add the freshly squeezed out lemon juice to the solution.
Gargle with the solution for about five minutes, every two hours to cure the symptoms of sore throat in no time.
[Also Read: Effective Natural Drinks For Sore Throat ]
3. Lemon Juice and Honey For Sore Throat
Lemon juice and honey for sore throat is a beautiful combination. The astringent properties of lemon juice work to diminish the inflammation, swelling, and soreness in the throat. It calms the irritation in the throat and gets rid of excess mucus as well.
[Also Read: Benefits of Honey and Lemon for Cough]
The mixture of honey and lemon for sore throat acts by destroying the breeding ground of bacterial action and healing infection as well. Here’s how to prepare the honey and lemon concoction for sore throat.
- Add the juice of half a lemon to a cup of green tea.
- Add two tablespoons of raw honey to this lemon juice and green tea and stir thoroughly.
Slowly sip on to the lemon and honey tea to cure the pain in the throat.
[Also Read: Garlic for Sore Throat]
4. Lemon Juice For Sore Throat
Lemon juice contains vitamin C, which is incredibly beneficial for enhancing the power of the immune system. Drinking lemon juice with warm water helps in curing the infection in the throat by the inhibition of bacterial action.
Lemon juice acts as an astringent and works to cure the swelling in the throat. You can either gargle with lemon juice mixed with warm water or take a tablespoon of lemon juice to cure the soreness of the throat.
Squeeze out the juice a fresh and ripe lemon and add a teaspoon of honey to it to sweeten it.
Take a tablespoon of the mixture in every alternate hour to cure the soreness in the throat.
Does Lemon Help Sore Throat? Find Here.
Lemon juice is remarkably beneficial for the natural treatment of sore throat, chest congestion, and other respiratory troubles. Here are a few reasons for using lemon juice:
- Lemons are rich in vitamin C, which can boost the immune system, prevent oxidative stress, and even cure asthma.
- The antimicrobial properties of lemon juice make it the best cure for infection.
A runny nose and a sore throat could be a disaster, but there is almost no respiratory issue that lemons cannot fix. You can have lemons for a sore throat to kill the microbes and drive out the infection. You can also suck on to lemon lozenges and/or gargle with lukewarm lemon water for instant relief from a sore throat.
[Also Read: Less Known Lemon Ginger Tea Benefits]
1. How to Use Lemon and Honey for a Sore Throat?
You can either take a tablespoon of a mixture of lemon juice and honey at every alternate hour or drink honey and lemon tea to make the soreness of the throat subside.
2. What Other Home Remedies Should You Use for Treating a Sore Throat?
You can take ginger tea, basil and honey mixture, clove tea, and garlic and honey for the cure of the sore throat.