Nosebleed is a condition that mostly affects children between the ages of 2-10 and adults between the ages of 50-80. It is marked by the flowing out of blood from the nose, first from one nostril, and then from both.
It does not last long and sometimes gets accompanied by weakness, dizziness, burning sensation in the nostrils, and more. But for the natural treatment of nosebleeds, all that you need is a handful of home remedies. Read on to find out about how to stop a bloody nose and cure the condition permanently.
Naturopathic Remedies for Bloody Nose
What is a Nosebleed?
Medically referred to as epistaxis, a nosebleed is a condition that is marked by the flowing out of blood from the nostril as a result of the rupture of the tiny blood vessels in the nose.
Want to know why is my nose bleeding? Here are some of the causes behind blood dripping from the nose.
- Excessive blowing of the nose
- Low humidity and cold temperature of the weather
- Injury to the nose
- Irritation of the nostrils by environmental pollution
- Overuse of nasal spray
- Substance abuse and drug abuse
- Bleeding disorders
- Inflammatory and allergic reactions of the nose
- Septal abnormalities
- High blood pressure
- Infection of the nostrils like rhinitis, and sinusitis
Cure 1: Foods
The use of onions(1) is miraculously effective in blocking the blood dripping from the nostrils during a sudden nosebleed.
How to Use?
- Cut a medium-sized and juicy onion into thick slices
- Hold the juicy slices at your nostrils and inhale the pungent fumes wafting from the onion slice
- The nose bleeding will stop in a couple of minutes or so
- Alternatively, you can grate the onion slices to extract all the pungent juice. Use a glass dropper to drip 2-3 drops of onion juice in both the nostrils. The sudden nose bleed will stop in a moment
- Apply some coconut oil in your nostrils to keep them moist and lubricated and heal the ruptured blood vessels
Onion juice is an excellent blood clotting agent. The pungent odor of the liquid works to stop the outflow by clotting the blood within the nostrils. Onion juice can also get administered for the natural treatment of nosebleeds in kids.
[Read: Natural Ways to Treat Blood Clots]
Food & Diet to Eat
Eat the following foods and keep yourself well hydrated for the permanent cure of chronic nosebleeds and associated symptoms.
- Leafy green vegetables
- Ginger infusion
- Red beetroot
- Basil tea
- Onion and cayenne pepper infusion
- Bell peppers
- Fatty fish
- Chicken stew
- Seeds and nuts
- Warm skimmed milk
- Dark chocolate
- Green tea
- Olive oil
- Fresh fruits
Food to Avoid
Avoid the following foods to prevent nosebleeds.
- Sugary drinks
- Whole milk
- Oily food
- Fast foods
- Processed noodles
- Caffeinated drinks
- Red meat
- Carbonated beverages like soda etc
- Table salt and refined sugar
Cure 2: Herbs
Wondering how to stop a bloody nose with the help of coriander? Coriander(2) is an excellent Ayurvedic herbal medicine for the cure of chronic nosebleeds and nose packing.
How to Use?
- Grind a handful of fresh and green coriander leaves to extract the juice
- Smear the juice inside your bleeding nostrils and on the lining of the inner nose
- The nose bleeding will stop almost instantly
- Alternatively, you can also use coriander oil instead of grated juicy coriander leaves. Apply the oil inside your nostrils and keep your head tilted above for the nosebleed to stop
- Besides, the application of the coriander juice or oil, you can do this as well to accelerate the recovery process. Grind a handful of coriander leaves by using a pestle to make a smooth paste. Smear the coriander paste all over your forehead. It helps in cooling down which is highly useful for curing nosebleeds more quickly
Coriander oil or coriander juice is known for its excellent cooling properties. It soothes the burning sensation inside the nostrils and cools down the nasal irritation. Coriander is vested with antihistamine properties and as such can prevent and cure nosebleeds caused by allergic reactions and environmental pollutants.
The application of coriander paste on the forehead helps in the cure of weakness and dizziness. The faint pungent smell of coriander helps in curing nausea as well.
Make sure that you are not allergic to coriander.
2. Nettle Leaf
The administration of the nettle herb is an ancient home remedy of a nose bleed.
How to Use?
- Take a handful of freshly plucked and green nettle leaves to extract its pungent juice
- Apply the extracted nettle juice inside your nostrils and all over the nasal lining of the inner nose
- Wait for a few minutes after applying the nettle juice
- Tilt your head backward to check the down flow of blood
- The blood flow will stop in just a minute or two
- Alternatively, you can prepare nettle tea and drink it twice in a day for the cure of chronic bloody nose. For the preparation of nettle tea follow the procedure given below
- Set a cup of plain water to boil
- Stir in a tablespoon of fresh, dried, and crushed nettle leaves into the hot water
- Let the tea simmer down in a few minutes
- Strain out the nettle tea
- Add a teaspoon of honey to the nettle tea
- Drink nettle tea twice a day for the cure of chronic nosebleeds
Nettle is a fantastic natural astringent that can cure nosebleed by stimulating the clotting of blood. The flow of blood stops due to coagulation, and as a result of this, the nosebleed gets cured.
Drinking nettle tea and applying nettle juice in the nostrils helps in healing the broken blood vessels and capillaries and enhancing the strength of the nasal blood vessels. It also soothes the burning sensation in the nostrils and heals the nasal irritation.
Make sure that your nostrils are not allergic to
[Read: Benefits of Stinging Nettle]
Are you thinking can basil be a potent solution for how to stop a bloody nose? The application of the basil herb is an excellent home remedy of nose bleeding.
How to Use?
- Pound and grind 3-4 tablespoons of freshly plucked and rinsed basil leaves to obtain its juice
- Apply the basil leaf juice all over your nasal passage and nostrils and on your nasal lining
- Tilt your head backward to check the trickling of blood
- The nose bleeding will get checked in just a minute or two
- Alternatively, you can also prepare basil tea and drink it twice or thrice in a day for the treatment of nose bleeding
The phytochemical compounds contained in basil leaf aids in the clotting of blood and as a consequence of this, the nosebleed gets cured. You can also drink basil tea or chew on basil leaves for the cure of nosebleed.
Make sure that your nostrils are not allergic to basil juice.
Cure 3: Essential Oils
1. Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon essential oil is one of the best essential oils for the cure of nosebleeds(3).
How to Use?
- Add 5-6 drops of lemon essential oil to a teaspoon of pure coconut oil and mix the oils to form an oil mixture
- Use a glass dropper to drip 2-3 drops of the oil mixture in the nostrils
- Keep your head tilted backward to stop the flow of blood
- lemon essential oil mixture starts working in a flash and will cure the nosebleed in a few minutes
- This remedy can get administered on a daily basis for the natural treatment of chronic bloody nose
Lemon essential oil gets packed with vitamin C which is incredibly beneficial for the cure of nosebleeds. The Vitamin C contained in lemon essential oil helps in clotting the blood and aids in the repair of the ruptured blood vessels in the nasal lining. The oil mixture keeps the nostrils moist and lubricated and eliminates the accumulation of dried blood in the nose.
The faint fragrance of lemon essential oil aids in the cure of nausea and dizziness associated with a nosebleed. The application of the oil cures the irritation and the burning sensation of the nostrils. This home remedy is especially useful for emergencies and can effectively stop fits of sudden nosebleed.
Conduct a patch test by applying a small amount of lemon essential oil on an unaffected part of the skin to make sure that your skin is not sensitive to it.
[Read: Essential Oils for Stuffy Nose]
2. Cypress Essential Oil
Cypress essential oil is excellent for a natural treatment for a sudden nose bleed.
How to Use?
- Add a few drops of cypress essential oil to a tablespoon of pure coconut oil and mix the oils thoroughly
- Use a glass dropper to drip a couple of drops of the oil mixture in your nostrils
- Keep your head tilted backward to prevent the flow of blood
- The diluted cypress essential oil mixture works on nose bleeding like a miracle and cures the nosebleed in a few minutes
- This home remedy can get administered on a regular basis for the cure of nose bleed
Cypress essential oil is highly beneficial for the cure of sudden nosebleed. It aids in clotting the blood and helps in the healing of the broken blood vessels in the nasal lining.
The mixture of cypress essential oil and coconut oil keeps the nostrils hydrated and lubricated and gets rid of the caked dried blood in nose that tends to block the air passage in the nostrils.
Cypress essential oil is beneficial for the cure of nosebleeds that occur during seizures and spasms. The mild and sweet fragrance of the cypress essential oil aids in the natural treatment of nausea, vomiting, and dizziness associated with nose bleeding.
The application of the oil cures the irritation and the burning sensation of the nostrils. It makes the blood vessels in the nasal passage stronger, and aids in the cure of respiratory disorders. This home remedy is especially useful for nosebleed emergencies and can effectively cure fits of sudden nose bleeding.
Conduct a patch test by applying a small amount of cypress essential oil on an unaffected part of the skin to make sure that your skin is not sensitive to it.
Cure 4: Home Remedies
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
How to stop a bloody nose with the help of apple cider vinegar is a widely searched question. Read and learn as for why.The use of warm and diluted apple cider vinegar solution is significantly useful for the natural cure of nosebleeds.
How to Use?
- Mix a tablespoon each of warm water and raw apple cider vinegar to prepare a dilute solution of apple cider vinegar. You can increase the volume of the solution by keeping the ratio constant
- Dip a small cotton ball in apple cider vinegar solution
- Place the soaked cotton ball inside the nostrils and keep it firmly lodged and the bleeding will stop in a few minutes
- Alternatively, blend two tablespoons of pure apple cider vinegar with a cup of warm water to prepare a solution
- Drink the solution twice a day for the natural treatment of chronic nosebleed
The acetic acid contained in apple cider vinegar acts as an agent of clotting blood. The application of warm and diluted apple cider vinegar helps in the prevention of excessive loss of blood and aids in the healing of the broken and ruptured blood vessels on the lining of the nose. The solution helps to moisten the nose and thereby cure the burning sensation of the nostrils.
Do not use undiluted apple cider vinegar and make sure that your skin is not allergic to it.
[Also Read: Apple Cider Vinegar Health Benefits]
2. Coconut Oil
Do you know how to stop a bloody nose with the help of coconut oil? Read on as the application of warm coconut oil is almost instantaneously useful for the natural cure of constant nosebleeds in kids.
How to Use?
- Heat a few tablespoons of pure and organic coconut oil
- Smear the nostrils with the warm coconut oil
- Keep your head tilted backward for a minute
- The nosebleed will stop in a few minutes
Coconut oil helps in the lubrication of the nostrils. The oil helps to moisten the nose and thereby cure the burning sensation of the nostrils. Coconut oil has a rich concentration of omega three fatty acids that help to heal and repair the broken blood vessels in the nostrils.
Do not overheat the coconut oil otherwise your nostrils might get scalded.
Cure 5: Natural Treatments
1. Saline Water Solution
The administration of lukewarm saline water is incredibly useful for the treatment of nosebleeds that occurs during pregnancy. It has no adverse effects on fertility and is perfectly safe for the mother and the fetus.
How to Use?
- Heat a cup of distilled water
- Add half a teaspoon of common salt to the lukewarm water
- Stir thoroughly until the salt gets wholly dissolved and you get a saline solution
- Use a glass dropper to drop 2-3 drops of saline water in the nostrils
- Keep your head tilted backward for a minute
- The nosebleed will stop in a minute or so
Saline water solution moistens the nostrils, softens the inner lining, of the nasal passage, and stops the blood from the nose. It helps to soothe the irritation in the nostrils, hydrate the nasal membrane, and heal the broken blood vessels in the nose. Saline water is especially useful when the nosebleed occurs due to the cold climate and dry weather.
Do not overheat the saline water otherwise; your nostrils might get scalded.
- Keep your nostrils hydrated during winter by the application of coconut oil
- Administer home treatment if you have a runny nose and bleeding nose
- Avoid smoking and alcoholism
- Make use of a humidifier in your rooms during winter
- Avoid the consumption of spicy food and hot beverages, especially during winter
- Do not poke or scratch your nose
- Keep your fingernails trimmed to prevent rupturing your nasal blood vessels while scratching your nose
Follow through with the natural remedies of how to stop a bloody nose and keep the simple prevention tips in mind to protect your nose and nasal passage, prevent and cure nosebleed and stay healthy and happy.