The heel spur is a foot condition caused by a calcium deposit (bony protrusion) on the underside of the bone. They are bony projections that develop along the bone edges of the bottom heel. When more calcium deposit builds up on the underside of the heel bone heel spurs occurs.
They are common among the athletes whose activities include more jumping and running. If you are thinking how to get rid of heel spurs then check out these natural remedies to get cured of heel spurs naturally without any medicines.
What are the heel spur symptoms?
- Heel pain
- Inflammation on the underside of the foot
- Swelling at the front of your heel
- The small bony protrusion at the bottom of the heel
- The heat radiating from the affected area
- Hard to walk in barefoot
What are the heel spur causes?
- Too much stress on the heel bone
- Impact injuries
- Running and jogging excessively on the hard surfaces
- Excess weight and obesity
- High arches and flat feet
- Wearing Shoes that do not support arches properly
What does a heel spur look like?
The heel spur is a calcium deposit, and they are bony projections that develop along the bone edges of the underside of the heel. They look like a hook, and it is a bony protrusion on the underside of the heel bone. It is the inflammation on the bottom of the heel.
Impressive natural remedies for heel spur removal
There are many natural home remedies on how to get rid of heel spurs. Some of them are as below.
1. How to get rid of heel spurs with the help of food?
How to use?
- Have fatty fishes like salmon, trout, tuna, and sardines
- Clean and remove the skin
- Cook it and include in the daily diet
- You can add it in sandwiches and burgers with avocados
- Consume this 2-3 times per week for good results on heel spurs
Benefits of fatty fish:
Fatty fishes are rich in fat-based nutrients. It includes the fat-soluble vitamin D. It is also much higher in omega3- fatty acids. They strongly get linked to reducing the risk of having heel spurs.
Have anti-inflammatory foods:
How to use?
- Take a tablespoon of powdered ginger, pepper or turmeric
- Add these ingredients in warm water
- Mix it well and consume the mixture
- With cumin seeds boil them in the water
- Stain it and drink to counter the pain whenever arises
Benefits of anti-inflammatory foods:
Ginger, pepper, turmeric, and cumin seeds are known for their anti-inflammatory properties. They are rich in natural antioxidants and polyphenol. Polyphenol can eventually reduce the inflammation caused by the heel spurs. They will give natural treatment for the inflammation caused due to heel spur shoes.
Make sure that you remove the skin of the fatty fishes. Clean thoroughly before you cook. While consuming anti-inflammatory foods ensure that you won’t put more ingredients on the water.
Foods to eat:
These foods help to establish a better blood circulation in the body along with a healthy power producing gut.
- Fatty fish
- Whole grains
- Nuts and seeds (most)
- Cumin seeds, ginger, and cayenne pepper
- Dates and fresh fruits
- Soya and soy-based products
Foods to avoid:
These foods tend to aggravate the condition.
- Red meats, pork, and bacon
- Dairy products
- Yeast processed foods
- Refined sugar and white flour
- Tomatoes, potatoes, and eggplant
2. Treat heel spur with the help of herbs
Use ginger tea to get a relief
How to use?
- Take a few pieces of ginger and put it in water
- Boil for 15-20 minutes and let it rest for 2 minutes
- Strain the tea and add some honey and lemon to enhance its flavor
- Drink it with small sips when hot
Ginger is replete with anti-inflammatory properties that work directly over our heels to relieve you from the spur. Instead of this you can also extract ginger juice and apply it over your heels too to get relief.
Don’t drink the tea when very hot. Take it in bearable temperature and avoid it if you are feeling acidic in your gut.
3. How to get rid of heel spurs with the use of essential oils?
Rosemary oil and Flaxseed oil mix
How to use?
- Take 2-3 drops of rosemary essential oil
- Add it in 3 tablespoons of warm olive oil and mix properly
- Add some rosemary-flaxseed essential oil mix in warm water
- Dip a cotton towel in it
- Wrap the cotton towel around the downside of your heel
- Place a heating pad over it
- Without moving, leave it for at least 30-45 minutes
- Do this for at least three times per week for useful results on the bone spur on the back of the heel
Benefits of Rosemary-flaxseed oil mix
Rosemary oil is a beneficial essential oil to treat heel spur as its potent anti-inflammatory properties give great relief after application. Flaxseed oil too is rich in antioxidants that contain antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties.
It is also rich in alpha-linolenic acid which is a form of omega-3 fatty acids that attacks effectively on bone spur heel inflammation. Rosemary oil in combination with flaxseed oil acts as one amongst the best essential oils for heel spurs.
Make sure that you won’t add more flaxseed oil to the warm water. Do a patch test to ensure you won’t get any irritation on the underside of the foot.
4. How to get rid of heel spurs with the help of home remedies?
Use Baking soda for a relief
How to use?
- Take 2-3 tablespoons of baking soda
- Add it in water and make a paste
- Apply this on your underside of the affected heel
- Do it regularly for good results on how to get rid of heel spurs
Benefits of baking soda
Baking soda in water makes a perfect paste full of anti-inflammatory properties that not only help to get relief from the heel spur but also helps to reducing the pain and uneasiness in your heel.
How to get rid of heel spurs with apple cider vinegar?
How to use?
- Add a few drops of apple cider vinegar in a tub of lukewarm water
- Soak your feet in a tub of warm water
- You can also wrap a wet towel around the downside of the heel drenched in warm water containing drops of apple cider vinegar
- Continue it for 10-20minutes
- Do it daily for incredible results
Benefits of apple cider vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar contains about 6 percent of acetic acid. It is rich in anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties. It reduces the pH balance in the heel. Apple cider vinegar is known to pull out the excess calcium from the heel bone and eventually bring relief to you. The heel bone spur treatment can effectively get done with the help of apple cider vinegar.
Baking soda might not suit all skin types hence be very precautious. When using apple cider vinegar or baking soda, make sure you clean your hands properly after its application to avoid any eye contact.
5. How to get rid of heel spur with natural remedies?
How to use?
- Take some ice cubes
- Use an ice pack or wrap it in a cotton towel
- Apply the ice pack on the affected area
- Keep this ice pack for 10-15 minutes
- It is a great way to soothe pain and swelling
- Do it daily till you see a change on heel spurs
Benefits of using an ice pack
Ice pack works directly on the problem of heel spur by reducing the inflammation and helps to reduce the throbbing pain instantly
How to treat heel spur with an Epsom salt bath?
How to use?
- Add 2-3 teaspoons of Epsom salt in a tub of lukewarm water
- Soak and dip your foot for 15-20 minutes
- Gently massage your heel with your hands
- Dry it off and apply some natural moisturizer like aloe vera
- Do it regularly before bed for best results
Benefits of Epson salt bath
A warm Epson salt bath can reduce inflammation and soften your heels. It reduces swelling of the front foot and relieves heel spur pain. Epson salt works best because it contains magnesium sulfate. Magnesium is the essential minerals for calcium utilization and bone formation. Follow up these home remedies precisely for the best results on how to get rid of heel spurs.
6. How to get rid of heel spurs with conventional methods?
Practice heel spur exercises
There are many heel spur exercises on how to get rid of heel spurs. Some of them are listed below.
1. Stretching the plantar fascia and the calves:
- Stand on a bench or a stair step with your toes
- Keep the foot sole horizontal
- Lower the heel until you feel a stretch in calve muscles
2. Stretching the calves and plantar fascia:
- Sit down on your bed or the floor with your legs stretched out
- With the help of a towel pull the toes towards you
- Do it until you feel a maximum stretch
3. Roll a golf ball under your foot:
- Keep a golf ball under your foot
- Now roll the golf ball under your foot
- Do this for 5-10 minutes
- Do this regularly when you are also working to have a terrific effect on heel spurs
Benefits of doing heel spur exercises:
Stretching the plantar fascia and calves will give a good impact on heel spurs. It is suitable for strength in the calve muscles. It helps complete regulation of blood circulation through the heels and calves. Doing heels spur exercises will not have any side effects at all. Heel spur exercises can heal the heel spur pain caused due to a heel spur on the underside of the foot.
The natural methods, home remedies, and heel spur exercises for how to get rid of heel spurs are discussed and are wondrously beneficial and leave no side effects on the heel, calves, and underside of the foot. It is not a big deal to remove heel spurs from the bottom of the heel if you follow these natural remedies and exercises regularly.
Follow up these natural methods and heel spur exercises genuinely. While doing these remedies make sure you keep all precautions in mind to get useful results. However, if inflammation and allergies persist and become more painful over the time, make sure to consult with a physician.