A tingling sensation on your face, around the lip or on the nose is warning you about the arrival of cold sores. These fluid-filled bumps on your face ruin your look and get unwanted attention. So what should you do? On the very first sign of the appearance of cold sores try some simple home remedies that effectively treat the cold sores and resolve all your troubles. This article provides you with some super easy ways for how to get rid of cold sores.
What causes Cold Sores?
Cold Sores also known as fever blisters are caused by Herpes Simplex Virus 1 (HSV). As cold sores are a result of a viral infection, these are extremely contagious. These get spread easily; hence you need to be careful with them and get them treated as soon as possible.
Also Read: How To Get Rid of Fever Blisters
Once you start getting cold sores, these would keep on occurring all through your life with breaks in between as the virus stays in your body for the lifetime. While most of the time the virus remains dormant, certain factors may activate it causing cold sores. Some of them are
- Hormonal changes
- Viral Infection
- Weak Immune system
- Excessive exposure to the sun
Cold Sores symptoms
Following are the symptoms of cold sores
- A painful, burning or itching sensation
- Blisters on lips, nose, throat, and mouth
- Pain in mouth or throat due to blisters
- Body ache
- Swelling in the neck
How to get rid of a Cold Sore naturally?
Cold sores occur due to viral infections. While the virus stays in your body lifelong, the cold sores disappear on their own within ten days of their appearance. These come and go once the virus has infected you. While the virus cannot be completely eliminated from the body, you can treat the cold sores and ensure their quick healing.
If you wish to get rid of those unsightly and painful cold sores, then try some simple cold sores remedies mentioned here. These aid in the quick healing of the cold sores. The natural remedies for how to get rid of cold sores effectively treat the cold sores and give you fast results.
Foods that can help treat cold sores
1. How to treat cold sores with Garlic?
One or two cloves of Garlic a day can keep all the infections at bay. Yes, garlic is the magical kitchen ingredient with some remarkable properties that make it useful for treating various infections including cold sores. Here is how garlic can help heal cold sores on the face(1).
How to use?
- Take a clove of fresh garlic
- Crush it and apply it directly on the cold sore
- Repeat this remedy for two to three times a day to get the desired results.
- Alternatively, you can also eat garlic on an empty stomach in the early morning to cure the infection from inside.
Benefits of Garlic
Garlic has potent antiviral and antiseptic properties which make it an effective remedy against cold sores. It has excellent healing properties that speed-up the treatment of the cold sores. Thus, you can use it to get rid of cold sores.
Application of garlic may cause skin irritation or development of rashes. Those with sensitive skin must rub a small amount of garlic on their arm to check their skin’s sensitivity to it. If it stings badly, then immediately wash the area and do not use this remedy.
Foods to eat
What you eat significantly affects your health and your vulnerability to infections. Those looking for how to prevent cold sores must include foods rich in lysine, an amino acid, to decrease their risk to cold sores. Add the following foods rich in lysine to your diet to prevent cold sores
- Cheese and other dairy products
- Poultry and meat
- Apples, mangoes, pears, apricots, and several other fruits
Foods to avoid
Those suffering from cold sores must avoid the following foods
- Nuts and seeds
- Grains like oats and wheat
- Spicy foods
Herbal treatment for curing cold sores
1. How to get rid of cold sores with Echinacea?
Cold sores, especially on the lip are quite miserable. These cause a lot of trouble in eating. If you have developed cold sores on the lip and want to get rid of it as soon as soon as possible, then try using Echinacea(2). It is a wonderful herb with potent properties that effectively fight the viral infection.
How to use?
- Take an Echinacea tea bag and dip it in a cup of boiling water
- Let it steep for around ten minutes
- After that, take out the bag and drink the tea
- You can drink the tea two to three times a day.
- Alternatively, you can also take Echinacea supplements to get rid of cold sores.
Benefits of Echinacea
Drinking Echinacea tea strengthens your immune system. It helps fight the HSV virus that causes cold sores.
Stop consuming Echinacea tea or supplements after the cold sores have subsided.
2. How to heal cold cores with aloe vera gel?
Aloe vera is a potent plant with numerous uses. One can use it to treat multiple skin and health conditions. The plant is also highly effective against cold sores(3).
How to use?
- Take a leaf of aloe vera
- Cut it open and extract the fresh gel
- Apply the gel directly on the cold sore
- Repeat the process two to three times a day to heal the cold sores
Benefits of Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is known to have soothing and anti-inflammatory properties that make it quite useful in case of cold sores. Application of aloe vera will soothe your skin and will also protect it from bacteria and virus.
Also read: Home Remedies for Bacterial Infection
If you wish to get quick results, then use freshly extracted aloe vera gel only. The commercially available gels may not be quite effective in treating the cold sores.
Use essential oils for Cold Sores Treatment
1. How to clear cold sores with Lemon Balm Essential Oil?
If you feel a tingling sensation around your mouth and have already experienced cold sores, then it might be that another one is on its way. To reduce the severity of the cold sore, treat it at the very first stage of its onset using Lemon Balm Essential Oil(4). It is an excellent home remedy for how to get rid of cold sores.
How to use?
- Pour one to two drops of lemon balm essential oil on the affected area
- Place an ice cube over it and gently press for around ten minutes
- After that apply petroleum jelly over the sores to prevent their cracking
- You can repeat this remedy several times a day.
Benefits of Lemon Balm Essential Oil
If the unsightly cold sires on your chin are vexing you out, then try using lemon balm essential oil. The oil is known to be quite effective against Herpes Virus. It kills the virus thus eliminating the sores and reducing the pain.
Those with sensitive skin must do a skin patch test before using the oil. Rub a few drops of lemon essential oil on your arm. If the application of the oil causes intense burning, then dilute it with a carrier oil.
2. How to get rid of cold sores with Peppermint Essential Oil?
Cold sores on nose, lips, and around the mouth can be effectively treated by using peppermint essential oil(5). It has potent properties that aid in the quick healing of the sores.
How to use?
- Pour two to three drops of peppermint essential oil on a cotton swab
- Apply the cotton swab directly on the cold sores
- You must use this remedy at least three times a day for the cold sores to disappear.
Benefits of Peppermint Essential oil
Peppermint Essential oil owing to its potent antiviral properties fights off the HSV virus which causes cold sores. The presence of menthol in the essential oil provides it with remarkable healing properties. Application of the peppermint essential oil accelerates the healing of the cold sores. Further, it has a strong cooling effect which soothes the skin and reduces the pain.
Peppermint Essential oil has a strong aroma. If you find its smell to be too overpowering, then dilute it with a carrier oil like olive oil or coconut oil.
Read More: Essential Oils For Cold Sores
Home remedies for treating cold sores
1. How to cure cold sores with Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar(6) is the magical potion with numerous benefits. From treating various skin conditions to improving the health of your hair, apple cider vinegar can be used to heal almost anything.
It will not be a surprising revelation if you get to know that apple cider vinegar can effectively cure cold sores too. Yes, apple cider vinegar is one of the best home remedies for how to get rid of cold sores. So whether you have cold sores on the lip or around the mouth, grab the bottle of apple cider vinegar and bid farewell to them in no time.
How to use?
- Take a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- Soak a cotton ball in it
- After that apply the soaked cotton ball directly on the cold sores
- Repeat the process three times a day to effectively heal the cold sores.
Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is acidic and antimicrobial. It fights the virus that causes cold sores and prevents its further growth. Thus it provides quick relief from the infection.
If you feel a burning sensation on the application of apple cider vinegar, then dilute it by adding water. Please note that apple cider vinegar has strong acidic properties; hence, refrain from using it on open cuts and wounds.
2. How to use cornstarch paste to remove cold sores?
Another kitchen ingredient that can help treat cold sores is cornstarch. It can effectively work upon the cold sores and accelerates their healing process.
How to use?
- Take a tablespoon of cornstarch powder
- Add to it an adequate amount of water to make a thick paste
- Apply the cornstarch paste uniformly on the cold sores
- Let it stay for a few minutes so that it dries
- After that rinse with water
- You can try this remedy four to five times a day.
Benefits of using Cornstarch Paste
Cold sores occur in an acidic environment. Application of cornstarch paste aids in neutralizing the pH value of the region thus effectively treating cold sores on the chin and other regions. It also reduces the inflammation and itchiness in the infected area(7).
Natural treatments for getting rid of cold sores
1. How to treat cold sores with salt?
Salt is a wondrous remedy for how to get rid of cold sores(8). It treats your fever blisters easily without costing heavy on your pocket.
How to use?
- Wash your hand and the area with cold sores thoroughly with water
- Dan them dry and place a pinch of salt on the cold sores
- Keep it in place for around thirty seconds
- Repeat the process two to three times a day to get the desired results.
Benefits of salt
Salt is a well-known cold sore remedy owing to its potent antimicrobial properties. Application of the salt on cold sores fights off the viral infections and inhibits the growth of the virus which is responsible for cold sores. You can use this salt remedy to treat cold sores on the face.
2. How to heal cold sores with ice?
One need not do much to treat cold sores. These can be easily treated with ice too. If the cold sores on the lip are causing pain and itching, then using ice is one of the easiest ways to resolve all your troubles.
How to use?
- Take an ice cube
- Rub it gently on the cold sores for around minutes
- You can repeat this remedy several times a day to reduce the itching and swelling.
Benefits of ice
Rubbing ice on the cold sores soothes the skin and reduces the inflammation and swelling caused due to the viral infection. It effectively eases the irritation and itchiness.
Do not place the ice cube for long at a single place. It may hamper the blood flow in the region thus interfering in the healing process of the cold sores.
Cold Sores vs. herpes
Cold Sores are also known as oral herpes. These are caused by HSV-1 (Herpes Simplex Virus) and can spread through oral contact while Herpes or Genital Herpes is caused by the HSV-2 virus and is transmitted via genital contact. In both the cases, painful blisters form that burst after sometime forming a scab.
Cold Sores vs. Canker Sores
People often confuse between cold sores and canker sores, but both of them are entirely different conditions with different treatments. Canker sores appear inside the mouth on cheeks, gums, inside of lip or on the tongue while cold sores appear around the mouth, on lips, nose or chin. Like cold sores, canker sores are not caused by a virus; hence they are not contagious. Also, these do not form blisters or scabs like the cold sores.
How to prevent cold sores from spreading?
Cold sores are contagious and quickly spread via contact. If you develop cold sores frequently or have cold sores and wish to prevent them from spreading, then follow the below-mentioned tips
- Avoid touching the regions with blisters. If you have cold sores, then try not to touch them. If you have accidentally touched them, then wash your hands thoroughly before touching yourself anyone else.
- Do not share your personal belongings. The virus can easily spread through items like towels, utensils, lip balms, etc. Hence avoid sharing them.
- Avoid mouth to mouth contact with a person suffering from cold sores.
The sight of cold sores as you see yourself in the mirror can cause you to fret. Of course, no one like those unwanted bumps on their face that ruin their look and cause a lot of pain. Those who are looking for how to get rid of cold sores and want to clear them as soon as possible must try the cold sores remedies mentioned above.
These give you the desired results by easing the symptoms of the cold sores and inhibiting the activity of the virus. These remedies are safe to try and do not pose any side-effects. Thus you can employ them without much worry.